Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 17:41:37
Quote:
A new study by the U.S. Conference of Bishops argues that neither celibacy nor homosexuality can be blamed for the clerical abuse scandal within the U.S. Catholic Church.

The report, which was published on Wednesday argues that clerical abuse is a result of ill-prepared, inadequately monitored and overworked priests performing their duties during the social and sexual turmoil of the 1960s and 1970s.

The funding for the report was provided by the U.S. Catholic Church, with additional financial support coming from other Catholic groups as well as from the Department of Justice.

As the revelations of clerical abuse continue to emerge worldwide, many critics argue that all-male celibate priesthood as well as a high number of gay priests was the main cause of the abuse crisis.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/Church-abuse-scandal-not-cause-by-celibacy-says-study-122308244.html

I'm sure it was impartial.

Another thing, can someone tell me why (it's mostly Americans from my experience) homosexuality is often linked to paedophilia?

I seem to be seeing a few views like that on other forums, I don't know if it's because I post on more forums than I used to but why do some people associate being gay with paedophilia?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 22:49:15
"why do some people associate being gay with paedophilia?"

Your post here was the first time I've ever heard of this association, 'ever'.
\m//O_O\\m/

#3New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 23:23:33
@sTreetAngeL Said

"why do some people associate being gay with paedophilia?"

Your post here was the first time I've ever heard of this association, 'ever'.

Quote:
As the revelations of clerical abuse continue to emerge worldwide, many critics argue that all-male celibate priesthood as well as a high number of gay priests was the main cause of the abuse crisis.

I've seen a few people on other forums link the two, weird.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#4New Post! May 20, 2011 @ 23:33:21
@SparklyKatie Said

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/Church-abuse-scandal-not-cause-by-celibacy-says-study-122308244.html

I'm sure it was impartial.

Another thing, can someone tell me why (it's mostly Americans from my experience) homosexuality is often linked to paedophilia?

I seem to be seeing a few views like that on other forums, I don't know if it's because I post on more forums than I used to but why do some people associate being gay with paedophilia?

Like StreetAngel, I've never heard of that association. Given the context, I think they were just making excuses since most priestly sex abuse was with young boys. Whether it was because they were gay and the only people they could influence like that were the altar boys or because young girls were unavailable since they couldn't be altar girls in the 60's and 70's...I don't know.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 00:38:47
I'm sorry...being overworked and inadequately monitored is their 'excuse'? I'm sure that applies to many types of jobs, teachers or doctors for example, why don't they have the scandals?

Most paedophiles and rapists whose victims are male don't actually consider themselves to be gay or bisexual, they consider themselves to be straight.

But I've heard the association, but generally by staunch anti-gay people who think along the lines of 'they're all disgusting perverts anyway'.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 00:44:59
@SparklyKatie Said

why do some people associate being gay with paedophilia?

I'm guessing because many of the victims were male boys. Obviously the potential faulty part of this connection is that it presumes that all gays are into young boys, much like presuming that all heterosexuals are into young girls. So perhaps it also has to do with the already present view of perversion regarding gays by the Catholic/Christian community.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#7New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 00:54:25
This is probably the only true thing said in the report.As

"the revelations of clerical abuse continue to emerge worldwide, many critics argue that all-male celibate priesthood as well as a high number of gay priests was the main cause of the abuse crisis."

But still even this raises a question,How many men go into the Catholic Priesthood and end up being Gay based on the celibacy bit???.

I cannot and will not believe that Priests and Nuns are all Virgins?,and to blame it all on the 60's and 70's is just another way of the church burying it's mitered heads in the sand and pretending that things like this don't happen now.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#8New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 00:58:51
@Leon Said

I'm guessing because many of the victims were male boys. Obviously the potential faulty part of this connection is that it presumes that all gays are into young boys, much like presuming that all heterosexuals are into young girls. So perhaps it also has to do with the already present view of perversion regarding gays by the Catholic/Christian community.

Come again? What other kinds of boys are there?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 01:48:08
@someone_else Said

Come again? What other kinds of boys are there?

Yeah I guess I could have just said boys.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#10New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 12:30:03
Maybe if priests could blame it all on Gee Dubya Bush their excuses would be acceptable, ya think?
\m//O_O\\m/

#11New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 12:43:59
@hoppy Said

Maybe if priests could blame it all on Gee Dubya Bush their excuses would be acceptable, ya think?

Um no.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#12New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 12:50:21
@SparklyKatie Said

Um no.

Why not, it works for Obama.
\m//O_O\\m/

#13New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 13:06:33
@hoppy Said

Why not, it works for Obama.

Obama blames Bush for child abuse?
TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#14New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 13:09:26
@SparklyKatie Said

Obama blames Bush for child abuse?

hoppy must be hitting the bottle already.
\m//O_O\\m/

#15New Post! May 21, 2011 @ 13:20:44
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs