Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#16New Post! May 26, 2012 @ 19:25:08
@LuckyCharms Said

Yes and no. I enjoy Bugs Bunny and shows like the Muppets every bit as much as an adult as I did as a child.

And then there's Spongebob that actually makes kids less able to learn.

I agree hands down. The newer stuff can't hold a candle to the older stuff..
I actually think some of the newer stuff can retard the learning process.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#17New Post! May 26, 2012 @ 19:48:07
@sTreetAngeL Said

I agree hands down. The newer stuff can't hold a candle to the older stuff..
I actually think some of the newer stuff can retard the learning process.

Messes with their attention spans. Gives them some kind of tv created ADHD or whatever the hell they're calling it these days.

Give me Gilligan's Island, Bug Bunny and the Muppet Show. I wish the kids of today could have those instead. They'd probably be a whole lot better off.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#18New Post! May 26, 2012 @ 23:34:15
@treebee Said

I am afraid Sesame Street is the boss.

I LOVED Sesame Street. My kids watch cbeebies which is incredibly tame and funded by the BBC so pretty much 90% of it is educational to some degree. Cbbc isn't which I'm sure they'll eventually progress to.

Personally I don't have a issue with poo or b*** references. Poo is associated from infancy with being disgusting and preschool children call each other poohead etc as it's a negative association. Poo = bad. Boobs well they're boobs aren't they. Jake calls my boobs boobs. They're there from birth and the way the human body was designed to feed it's young. In full term breast feeders (as recommended by WHO) breast feeding continues to toddlerhood and even preschoolers. The natural age for a child to self wean from the breast is between 2 and 7 years old. While I'm not a full term breastfeeder I have plenty of friends who do feed beyond infancy so of course my children will know what a b*** is and using the word isn't a big deal IMO. Tbh for a 7-10 year old boobs and poo are part of the course of growing up and learning to express themselves.

The main issue for me is allowing children unrestricted access to TV and not really caring what's on. As adults we watch TV for enjoyment and entertainment purposes I don't understand why it's deemed 'bad' for a child to watch TV purely for entertainment. My kids are allowed to watch disney films and they have no educational significance at all however they're read to daily and played with throughout the day.

It's all about getting an appropriate balance for your children. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and all that.
Delta62 On February 03, 2023
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#19New Post! May 27, 2012 @ 00:21:02
@treebee Said

My daughter liked tots TV and rosie and jim (although the bearded man who lived with the puppets was questionable) and pingu. My son liked bob the builder.

I loved the muppets.

OMG PINGUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *falls over backwards*
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#20New Post! May 27, 2012 @ 00:58:58
@eternus_somnium Said

I saw an episode of that the other day, not the type I used to watch but a lame redone version where the big issue was them being broke and jobless...not being little kids with superpowers fighting evil.

ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#21New Post! May 27, 2012 @ 01:25:52
I think at 7-10 kids are going to be making poo jokes and talking about boobs whether they are in cartoons or not. That is kind of the thing at that age - and it's all pretty innocent stuff.

Kind of amuses me that 'sucks' is though of as 'mild language' and that children should be sheltered from it.

Also, I think there's stuff that you read into or take away from kids shows/films that just goes completely over the heads of young children. I've noticed that rewatching old films (and an English tutor I had last year decided to do some psychodynamic theory on Disney films, and I will never see them the same again...it's ALL about the sex )

I'll be honest though, I haven't watched much kids TV in the last few years. Aside from Horrible Histories, but I think that is aimed at 10+. When I was younger my Mum didn't really like me watching Cartoon Network either, I was generally kept on CBBC or Disney.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#22New Post! May 27, 2012 @ 02:43:32
@Kristy69 Said

I didn't ever think I'd be that mom, but I really do think I'm going to block Cartoon Network as soon as Carly gets into watching TV.

I used to watch some shows on that channel (Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Misadventures of Flapjack, etc.) but now I turn it on and it's all these shows that are getting a little inappropriate.
Like the one show "Adventure Time"? I caught a glimpse of it and it's definitely not child appropriate as it comes off. There's mild language (sucks and friggin' and some references I wouldn't think I'd find in a kids show. One about boobies and a LOT about poop. Supposedly the age group is 7-10 year olds.

And a lot of the shows featured on there make me think of things I'd see during an acid trip

I like Adventure time and the Regular show. I understand what you mean, because I noticed it when the shows first appeared on Cartoon Network.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#23New Post! May 27, 2012 @ 06:07:14
@Kristy69 Said

I didn't ever think I'd be that mom, but I really do think I'm going to block Cartoon Network as soon as Carly gets into watching TV.

I used to watch some shows on that channel (Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Misadventures of Flapjack, etc.) but now I turn it on and it's all these shows that are getting a little inappropriate.
Like the one show "Adventure Time"? I caught a glimpse of it and it's definitely not child appropriate as it comes off. There's mild language (sucks and friggin' and some references I wouldn't think I'd find in a kids show. One about boobies and a LOT about poop. Supposedly the age group is 7-10 year olds.

And a lot of the shows featured on there make me think of things I'd see during an acid trip

Yeah.

You gotta monitor what your child watches.
Natural asshole

#24New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 01:28:20
could be worse there could be rainbow repeats... loads of sexual innuendos in that
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#25New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 12:15:01
@Delta62 Said

could be worse there could be rainbow repeats... loads of sexual innuendos in that

Rainbow was awesome! I wish everyone was a unique with a zip for a mouth
RobbyF On November 11, 2016

Silver Spring, Maryland
#26New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 13:04:32
I think cartoons have morphed into something strange compared to what they used to be too, but I can't tell if it's just me growing up. Maybe I'll ask my parents what they thought of the cartoons I watched as a kid....
Natural asshole

#27New Post! May 28, 2012 @ 14:32:37
@ninozara Said

Rainbow was awesome! I wish everyone was a unique with a zip for a mouth

Then nobody would be unique

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others