Car Trade In

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:27:32
So I recently received a call by someone from the Chevy Dealership where I get my oil change done and get it repaired (which has happened a bit too often). They offered to look at my car and trade it in and put me into a brand new Chevy Malibu. I already drive a 2016 Malibu. They want to put me in a 2018. They also told me that I could “possibly” leave paying the same amount monthly. I pay $596 a month. So with that, I may leave paying the same amount, or more. My credit sucks and I need a smaller payment, but I need a new car. My brother told me take a couple days to think about it. After two days, should I take the risk?
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:39:55
@Cpat92 Said

So I recently received a call by someone from the Chevy Dealership where I get my oil change done and get it repaired (which has happened a bit too often). They offered to look at my car and trade it in and put me into a brand new Chevy Malibu. I already drive a 2016 Malibu. They want to put me in a 2018. They also told me that I could “possibly” leave paying the same amount monthly. I pay $596 a month. So with that, I may leave paying the same amount, or more. My credit sucks and I need a smaller payment, but I need a new car. My brother told me take a couple days to think about it. After two days, should I take the risk?

What don’t you like about the 2016 Malibu?

Your payments may be the same, but it obviously would be spread over a longer number of months. If you’re trying to reduce the payment amount, then sell the 2016 Malibu for an older car. Getting a brand new one would not accomplish that, especially with bad credit.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:42:34
What's wrong with the 2016 Malibu? Why do you need a new car?
If a two year old car is so bad you want to get out - why would you get the same thing?

Don't forget, your insurance will go up too with a newer car.

I'm always getting calls or mail "We're looking for <yr> <make> <model>"
I'm thinking - yeah, right... there's a shortage of '08 Cobalts ...
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#4New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:50:10
@mrmhead Said

What's wrong with the 2016 Malibu? Why do you need a new car?
If a two year old car is so bad you want to get out - why would you get the same thing?

Don't forget, your insurance will go up too with a newer car.

I'm always getting calls or mail "We're looking for <yr> <make> <model>"
I'm thinking - yeah, right... there's a shortage of '08 Cobalts ...

I’ve had issues with the power train. I had to take it in 4 times since September of last year. The last time I had to cough up $291. I don’t want the same one, but they made it seem like that’s the only one they want to offer. I’m not trying to make my insurance go up. They were telling me they wanted to buy mine instead of going to the auction.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:53:13
@Leon Said

What don’t you like about the 2016 Malibu?

Your payments may be the same, but it obviously would be spread over a longer number of months. If you’re trying to reduce the payment amount, then sell the 2016 Malibu for an older car. Getting a brand new one would not accomplish that, especially with bad credit.

What I don’t like about mine is that it keeps having issues. I had to turn it in 4 times to get fixed. Multiple issues with the power train. I’m trying to build my credit back up too. While it sounded like it could be too good to be true, it sounds too risky at the same time.

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:53:32
I always hated that about cars and credit. I usually had decent credit, but I had friends that have bad credit and they've paid through the nose in interest for a used car loan. That's the last thing that people need is to be raked over the coals for what is typically an essential need.

I was never a fan of leasing either, but since I drive about 60 miles daily for work, those pitches end quickly.

I always bought 1 or 2 year old cars - often coming off of leases or fleet rentals. Never owned a brand-new car.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#7New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:55:09
@mrmhead Said

I always hated that about cars and credit. I usually had decent credit, but I had friends that have bad credit and they've paid through the nose in interest for a used car loan. That's the last thing that people need is to be raked over the coals for what is typically an essential need.

I was never a fan of leasing either, but since I drive about 60 miles daily for work, those pitches end quickly.

I always bought 1 or 2 year old cars - often coming off of leases or fleet rentals. Never owned a brand-new car.

I got the 2016 Malibu brand new. It didn’t give me problems until last year. According to one of the mechanics, a bunch of Malibus and Impalas that came out in that year has engine and power train issues.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Apr 03, 2018 @ 23:58:36
@Cpat92 Said

I’ve had issues with the power train. I had to take it in 4 times since September of last year. The last time I had to cough up $291. I don’t want the same one, but they made it seem like that’s the only one they want to offer. I’m not trying to make my insurance go up. They were telling me they wanted to buy mine instead of going to the auction.

@Cpat92 Said

What I don’t like about mine is that it keeps having issues. I had to turn it in 4 times to get fixed. Multiple issues with the power train. I’m trying to build my credit back up too. While it sounded like it could be too good to be true, it sounds too risky at the same time.

Is it still under warranty? Should be if you bought it new. Yeah, I’d just sell it and go with an older car, one that’s more reliable, at least until you can build your credit and savings up enough to buy a new one. But that’s just what I would do - everyone is different and has different purposes and different ways of going about things, so really, only you can answer this.

I went with junk cars that I never owed money on for decades, but at least I had fantastic credit as a result and could totally afford two new cars when I bought them within 2 years from each other. And the credit that paying those off quickly that resulted enabled me to get a home loan with flying colors. Credit doesn’t come overnight, and neither does possessing what you want.

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Apr 04, 2018 @ 00:01:10
@Cpat92 Said

So are you saying that is an offer they have made in trying to take care of the problem you're having with the current one?

If they can deal you the 2018 at a used price, it won't drop in value 100 ft from the exit.
I'd take a closer look at something like that.

Make sure there is no negative equity roll-over from the previous car loan (been there, done that)

What are the thresholds for the lemon law? Your current one is only 2 years old.

Just saw your post about "bunch of malibus having problems" - Keep your receipts! Either for class-action or recall.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#10New Post! Apr 04, 2018 @ 00:22:04
@mrmhead Said

So are you saying that is an offer they have made in trying to take care of the problem you're having with the current one?

If they can deal you the 2018 at a used price, it won't drop in value 100 ft from the exit.
I'd take a closer look at something like that.

Make sure there is no negative equity roll-over from the previous car loan (been there, done that)

What are the thresholds for the lemon law? Your current one is only 2 years old.

Just saw your post about "bunch of malibus having problems" - Keep your receipts! Either for class-action or recall.

I do not know. They didn’t specify. I’m still researching the Lemon Laws. I don’t know if I’ll need an attorney for it.
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#11New Post! Apr 04, 2018 @ 03:28:39
Firstly I hope ideally the lemon law is able to help you in your situation. I do however have some observations.
Firstly the dealership is trying to sell you a replacement car of which the original was hardly reliable or good. I would also not want to do ANY business with a stealership that had not 'really looked after me" as a customer. Also not wishing to upset anyone but Chevy's are junk. just look at the best/most popular/top selling cars on the road. Typically they are Honda's 7 Toyota's, if this is not a red flag I do not know what is? That's says quite clearly that the Japanese are very often the way to go! If I were you I would consider the Japanese cars or a VW Jetta it really depends on your price as well as preference. German cars typically are very well built & reliable. I know for a fact that build quality (tolerances) are much tighter on Japanese & German vehicles. Before anyone says I am biased let me say I have a Subaru & a Mercedes Benz. The subby is nice and has a great engine BUT the Benz has better build quality 7 you only need to sit in it & close the door to know it. Depreciation is another thing to consider some drop like a stone & others are much slower to drop. my advice is to do your research online & see what is a great all round car for you BUT I would certainly not buy another of what has already been unreliable etc. Make a mistake one & learn from it don't make the same mistake twice!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Apr 04, 2018 @ 23:13:44
@Cpat92 Said

I already drive a 2016 Malibu.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Malibu/2016/

never trust a shop.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#13New Post! Apr 05, 2018 @ 00:01:28
@Komentenmelodie Said

Firstly I hope ideally the lemon law is able to help you in your situation. I do however have some observations.
Firstly the dealership is trying to sell you a replacement car of which the original was hardly reliable or good. I would also not want to do ANY business with a stealership that had not 'really looked after me" as a customer. Also not wishing to upset anyone but Chevy's are junk. just look at the best/most popular/top selling cars on the road. Typically they are Honda's 7 Toyota's, if this is not a red flag I do not know what is? That's says quite clearly that the Japanese are very often the way to go! If I were you I would consider the Japanese cars or a VW Jetta it really depends on your price as well as preference. German cars typically are very well built & reliable. I know for a fact that build quality (tolerances) are much tighter on Japanese & German vehicles. Before anyone says I am biased let me say I have a Subaru & a Mercedes Benz. The subby is nice and has a great engine BUT the Benz has better build quality 7 you only need to sit in it & close the door to know it. Depreciation is another thing to consider some drop like a stone & others are much slower to drop. my advice is to do your research online & see what is a great all round car for you BUT I would certainly not buy another of what has already been unreliable etc. Make a mistake one & learn from it don't make the same mistake twice!

I’ve been debating on going to Honda, or VW.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#14New Post! Apr 05, 2018 @ 00:10:37
I am not a fan of American automobiles.

I used to like Ford trucks, but that was many many years ago.

I drive a Toyota Sequoia (basically Toyota's SUV on the Tundra truck platform). I love it. I take it off road... pretty seriously off road. The Land Cruiser is arguably a better choice for off road...but there is an argument for the Sequoia... I know because I drive the Sequoia off road all the time.

However... relative to the Malibu... aka midsize sedan... Toyota Camry. I was Camry driver for 10 years +/-. Great cars!!!

NE, Ohio
#15New Post! Apr 05, 2018 @ 00:38:06
@Cpat92 Said

I’ve been debating on going to Honda, or VW.

My daddy was a union man and anyone who bought one of those fer-in cars must be a pinko-commie!

Kinda stuck with me (buy american)
But haven't had any real problems, in fact my current Chevy "s***box" (as I lovingly call it) is approaching 150k and nothing but GTO (gas, tires, oil)

It's almost ready for a new set of tires - I wasn't expecting to have to buy another set.

My first love car was a '66 Ford LTD, 352, 4-barrel. Heavy Metal with a big back seat!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs