Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Cancel-Culture

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Sep 26, 2019 @ 22:46:40
Disclaimer: Yes, occasionally I'd browse RT News to get a bit of a breather from Trump-News overload (though RT has it's fair share too)

Cancel-Culture:
Thanks to the efforts of professional complainers, we’re all one off-color tweet away from being doxxed and exiled. The disease of ‘cancel culture’ has reared its ugly head again, this time smearing both accused and accuser.

... “A man who builds a thousand bridges will be remembered as a bridge builder. But shag one sheep and he’ll forever be known as a sheep shagger.”

Words have many functions, as does humor. Black comedy, offensive speech, and tasteless jokes let us blow off steam and vent at the often confusing world around us. Not every word we ever utter is a statement of intent, nor is every tweet an official position. Likewise offense is more often taken than given.

Are you the same person now that you were at 16? Better wipe your social media history just to be safe.

Link

Granted, the article slants a little right towards the end, but it's along the lines of what I've been thinking for awhile, and I believe I've state such on here as well...

Media / somebody digging up petty, foolish crap from decades ago.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Sep 26, 2019 @ 23:01:51
I use the following as my say it vs don't say it meter:

1. If "you" wouldn't say it to your grandmother, mother and/or daughter: You probably shouldn't say it.

2. If someone said "it" to you or about you, and that would piss you off: You probably shouldn't say it to or about others.

"PC" is nothing more than a fancy term for "common courtesy".

Complaining about not being able to tell racist or sexist jokes, is the stuff of bullies.

Complaining about not being able to insult, demean or bully someone, is the stuff of bullies.

Bullies all have one thing in common: >> They are cowards. <<

And "finally" I bet the guy who wrote that article is actually "thin skinned"... confront him/her and tell a joke about his mother, family, heritage, political party, religion, president... and all of a sudden he won't be supporting the idea that "offensive speech" has a good purpose.

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Sep 26, 2019 @ 23:36:16
@chaski Said

I use the following as my say it vs don't say it meter:

1. If "you" wouldn't say it to your grandmother, mother and/or daughter: You probably shouldn't say it.

2. If someone said "it" to you or about you, and that would piss you off: You probably shouldn't say it to or about others.

"PC" is nothing more than a fancy term for "common courtesy".

Complaining about not being able to tell racist or sexist jokes, is the stuff of bullies.

Complaining about not being able to insult, demean or bully someone, is the stuff of bullies.

Bullies all have one thing in common: >> They are cowards. <<

And "finally" I bet the guy who wrote that article is actually "thin skinned"... confront him/her and tell a joke about his mother, family, heritage, political party, religion, president... and all of a sudden he won't be supporting the idea that "offensive speech" has a good purpose.

I guess what I'm saying is that language, conversation, society changes over time - and people should not take that out of context.

Of course it wasn't an "accident" to go to a party 40 years ago (or whatever time-frame) wearing black-face. But neither was it a socially abhorrent thing to do.

My frat house had an "Indian Party" every fall - We dressed up as Indians and walked around campus to pick up our dates. The school was fine with it ... back then The university mascot *WAS* The Redskins. Now they're the Redhawks.

Should we burn down buildings and destroy all records of the university while it flew the "Redskins" banner?

... and I don't mean just racism.

There's "womanizing", "homophobic", .. any number of ethnicities ... Do you remember all the Pollack jokes!?!...

Or how about muttering "I want to kill my teacher" ....when in elementary school?

Like near the end of the article: Not every word uttered is intent or a stated position.

... sorry, a bit rambling ...
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Sep 27, 2019 @ 00:35:31
@mrmhead Said

I guess what I'm saying is that language, conversation, society changes over time - and people should not take that out of context.

Of course it wasn't an "accident" to go to a party 40 years ago (or whatever time-frame) wearing black-face. But neither was it a socially abhorrent thing to do.

My frat house had an "Indian Party" every fall - We dressed up as Indians and walked around campus to pick up our dates. The school was fine with it ... back then The university mascot *WAS* The Redskins. Now they're the Redhawks.

Should we burn down buildings and destroy all records of the university while it flew the "Redskins" banner?

... and I don't mean just racism.

There's "womanizing", "homophobic", .. any number of ethnicities ... Do you remember all the Pollack jokes!?!...

Or how about muttering "I want to kill my teacher" ....when in elementary school?

Like near the end of the article: Not every word uttered is intent or a stated position.

... sorry, a bit rambling ...

Yes, I agree with your point.

I do believe that "we" should largely "judge" people on the relevant times.

Condemning someone now for doing something that was socially acceptable at the time is not always appropriate... depends on the action.

Wearing "black face" 20 years ago is not the same thing as lynching someone 100 years ago.

Presumably "we" learn over time.

My grandfather was prejudice, but not nearly as bad as my great grandfather... my father was also prejudice though very "liberal" for his time... I have fewer "prejudices"... my sons have still fewer than I...

etc

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Sep 27, 2019 @ 00:53:31
@chaski Said

Wearing "black face" 20 years ago is not the same thing as lynching someone 100 years ago.

Good way to put it, yet some seem to want to ostracize just the same.

NE, Ohio
#6New Post! Sep 27, 2019 @ 00:58:08
@chaski Said

Presumably "we" learn over time.

My grandfather was prejudice, but not nearly as bad as my great grandfather... my father was also prejudice though very "liberal" for his time... I have fewer "prejudices"... my sons have still fewer than I...

etc

Yes, there were jokes from my dad that I laughed at as a kid, but would not repeat them to anyone - let alone my son - today.

I suppose if there happens to be an 8mm video of me laughing at one of his off-color jokes, that it could threaten my run for public office.

... "Mom! Where are our home movies?" ....
Darkman666 On about 6 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Sep 27, 2019 @ 03:38:35
I was a kid, in my teens, and in my 20's, I heard racial jokes. of course, they were funny. when you tell them not very mean and vicious way that out of hate. it is wrong to said and very inappropriate way that could offend anyone that dealt with race.

maybe, I laughed at them, because how it was deliver by the joker who said. mean, how the person said in way that just stupid. the overtone not like we are going to lynch this color guy. the joker would said we will use the color guy as basketball net to catch the basketball net. you try not laugh at it, it is somewhat funny.

these days, the kids are 30 years old and under should no better than my generation and people over 30 years didn't know better. the kids these days today, should no better than my generation. if they don't, there is something wrong with our society now.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs