The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Canadians Charged In American Flag Incident...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#1New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:25:12
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100423/world/world_us_flag_desecration_olympic_celebration

I thought we as Canadians were better than this. Why vandalize and destroy an American flag that was being flown for the victims of Sept 11th. Apparently it was done because Canada won the gold medal for hockey.

I am ashamed this was done.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#2New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:34:17
It's sad that they did that. Unthinking actually - all in the name of a hockey game .... fans.

Thanks personally for the apology - we don't think Canadians do that sort of thing either.

However, it is not against the law to desecrate the American Flag - it's just a symbol. We've had this argument for years. You can burn our flag, but you can't remove the meaning behind it.

With that said - that one was there for 911 so expect some serious outrage from the surrounding community.

It's whack their pee pee time.

, Canada
#3New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:42:32
It is not illegal? The two men face up to a year if convicted for what they did.

I could not imagine doing that to any countries flag, especially to a country that is suppose to be our greatest friend.

I don't see the point in it. Just idiots I guess.
Cabo On October 26, 2010

~<'))))><, Florida
#4New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:43:42
with that said above,
please inform the Riverside County district attorneys office is not against the law to desecrate the American Flag.
We americans can handle that our own way.

from the link: sniplet - "charged with misdemeanour vandalism and misdemeanour desecration of a flag"
raditz On March 24, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#5New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:45:39
@DorkySupergirl Said

It is not illegal? The two men face up to a year if convicted for what they did.

I could not imagine doing that to any countries flag, especially to a country that is suppose to be our greatest friend.

I don't see the point in it. Just idiots I guess.

It's for vandalizing property, not just because it was a flag.
Cabo On October 26, 2010

~<'))))><, Florida
#6New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:48:10
@raditz Said

It's for vandalizing property, not just because it was a flag.

Um - did you read the story or my post of the 2 charges?

, Canada
#7New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:49:23
Thank you for letting me know that. I always thought it was illegal. But the article says that Riverside County is charging the two men with desecration of the American flag as well as common vandalism for it being property. That has me confused.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#8New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:52:00
You've heard "These's one in every crowd" or "a few bad apples spoil the bushel"?
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#9New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:53:26
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thank you for letting me know that. I always thought it was illegal. But the article says that Riverside County is charging the two men with desecration of the American flag as well as common vandalism for it being property. That has me confused.

The desecration charge is probably NOT for the flag but for the site as is the vandalism charge. If it's a city or state monument, then they've desecrated it by being there when they shouldn't have been and the vandalism is probably for even touching the lanyard in the first place. (I may have those two backwards. )

As I said, public outrage is going to fuel it for a while - especially since it was over a hockey game.

You've got a news agency hyping the story - that's pretty much it.
raditz On March 24, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#10New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:54:06
@Cabo Said

Um - did you read the story or my post of the 2 charges?

Um - No.
Cabo On October 26, 2010

~<'))))><, Florida
#11New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 04:59:55
I missed from that part in the article the "Probably and Shouldn't"part. Until then I have to respect that news source.
Cabo On October 26, 2010

~<'))))><, Florida
#12New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 05:03:46
@HiImDan Said

You've heard "These's one in every crowd" or "a few bad apples spoil the bushel"?

Yep,
how about famous --> "Nip it in the bud"!

, Canada
#13New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 05:04:32
The news source is the most respected news source we have here in Canada.

I do agree Patt, it is going to have an out lash because of the reason that flag was being flown.

I have never had a thought to burn a flag. To me a flag should not even be flown if it is damaged any way. It is the heart of a country and all the country stands for. I would not even have a thought to burn an enemies country flag.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#14New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 05:05:46
@Cabo Said

Yep,
how about famous --> "Nip it in the bud"!

That 'we were drunk, your honor' is going to go over like a lead balloon. Who wants to bet these two take over for a year or so in maintaining that site?

That's the best answer to this situation. Give those boys some honest incentive to CARE about what that site is - it's not 'just a flag pole'.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#15New Post! Apr 25, 2010 @ 05:08:01
@DorkySupergirl Said

The news source is the most respected news source we have here in Canada.

I do agree Patt, it is going to have an out lash because of the reason that flag was being flown.

I have never had a thought to burn a flag. To me a flag should not even be flown if it is damaged any way. It is the heart of a country and all the country stands for. I would not even have a thought to burn an enemies country flag.

It irks me every time I see it happen too. We started this argument back in the 60's and have come to the conclusion that whatever they do to our flag is pretty much a sticks and stones situation. It won't for one second remove our resolve as a nation. After all, free people don't pledge their all to any one thing or person but to an ideal.

But, that's us. I'm sure other countries feel differently.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs