Random

Can money buy you happiness?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
name123 On September 17, 2012

Melbourne, Australia
#1New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 10:15:02
Hi! I'm doing my project on this and I would just like a few opinions of others to include in my research folder. Answer truthfully and give a reason as to why you say what you say!

Thankyou, and all responses are really appreciated!
Richard_Richards On October 23, 2012

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 10:26:54
Of course it can. I'm really happy with my life at the moment, all of the the stresses and strains I've had in recent times have been money related, therefore if I had more money I'd be happier.

One of the worst things in life is stress; it's bad for your health and mental wellbeing, and affects those around you, creating more problems. Money worries cause stress to many people so if they didn't have these they'd be happier.
colonelbleep On December 15, 2015

, North Carolina
#3New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 10:32:22
It can make you happy being able to surround yourself with material things, and the ability to puff your chest out and say, "Look at me, I have more than you". True happiness comes from many other things, not excessive money. My opinion of a successful person is one who has a family which is happy to see them when they walk in the door, or has neighbors happy to see them come down the sidewalk.
Richard_Richards On October 23, 2012

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 10:44:36
@colonelbleep Said

It can make you happy being able to surround yourself with material things, and the ability to puff your chest out and say, "Look at me, I have more than you". True happiness comes from many other things, not excessive money. My opinion of a successful person is one who has a family which is happy to see them when they walk in the door, or has neighbors happy to see them come down the sidewalk.

I'd say true happiness comes from a number of factors, being financially secure is definitely one of them. What good's having a loving family if they're ducking behind the sofas every time the bailiffs call? On it's own money isn't enough but most people would be happier with more money. Success is one thing, but happiness is being free from worry and surrounded with love.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 11:40:05
No. It can make life mote comfortable of course but its a combination of things. I'm happy with my life but as most people am skint! What have I got to complain about really when I have a roof over my head, the love of a great man and family as well as a job and good health. I'm Lucky just could do with a few mote quid!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 12:05:57
To an extent. It can enhance your quality of life and allow you to live comfortably, but can't fulfill you existentially speaking.

Doesn't stop us all from wanting more money though.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 13:11:19
Money is a very versatile tool. It can provide security and comfort or be used to cause misery. It can magnify what and who you are from lazy to dynamo, or good to evil. Ironically not having it combined with the desire to get it often brings about similar results.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 13:17:59
@Richard_Richards Said

Of course it can. I'm really happy with my life at the moment, all of the the stresses and strains I've had in recent times have been money related, therefore if I had more money I'd be happier.

One of the worst things in life is stress; it's bad for your health and mental wellbeing, and affects those around you, creating more problems. Money worries cause stress to many people so if they didn't have these they'd be happier.

This.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#9New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 13:23:24
I don't believe so. Many say that it does, but some of those people I believe are putting up a facade. Usually depending on your financial situation, I believe more money can lead to more problems. Whether it is more bills or more people looking for money.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#10New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 14:04:37
I think its quite complicated and I might have difficulty explaining it.

I do not think money makes someone a better person or a horrible person for having it. I do not think money on its own makes a person happy because there are a lot of sad, lonely, miserable well off people.

But what money does is this, it provides security and comfort. People who are well off never know what its like to be stressed out from finances. The less one has, the more the stress of how to pay bills, heat in winter, and that causes stress which can cause health problems. Then you have people who get sick because they can't afford heat in winter and to eat daily.

People who are well off never experience that. I would not say they are more happier than someone not well off but have more security and comfort.

But when a person has money, they are considered evil, for lack of a better word, people despise them for no reason other than they have money and people are jealous. People come out of the woodwork to get their money and then its a matter of who is your real friend and who wants you for your money. It must be lonely you know, to not know who is your friend and who is not and to be so isolated.

Each side has its pros and cons.
EoWyN On April 01, 2015
Lucky Me!

Deleted

Under your bed,
#11New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 14:32:46
It cannot, I had a boyfriend once who's sister was pretty well off...she had the best cars, clothes, jewels.Her kids had the latest fashions and every game system ever made, they lived in the biggest house.She had everything money could buy. EXCEPT happniess she was miserable and crying all of the time screaming and having fits of rage.Emotionally she was every unhappy. So no money cannot buy true happiness
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 16:32:06
The only true happiness it can buy (especially in today's economy) would be security; a carefree attitude from financial worry.
I would quite like that certainty today. It would make me very happy indeed.
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#13New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 16:48:46
no,of course money can't buy happiness,you can have all the clothes,all the jewelry,and everything else that you want,but happiness has to come from yourself and only yourself.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#14New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 17:54:14
@EoWyN Said

It cannot, I had a boyfriend once who's sister was pretty well off...she had the best cars, clothes, jewels.Her kids had the latest fashions and every game system ever made, they lived in the biggest house.She had everything money could buy. EXCEPT happniess she was miserable and crying all of the time screaming and having fits of rage.Emotionally she was every unhappy. So no money cannot buy true happiness

What I feel certain we all want (whether some of us know it or not) is fulfillment. But that doesn't always equate to happiness. The most miserable unhappy pauper in the world can still find fulfillment. If that pauper earned $100 bullion, he could still find fulfillment as he almost certainly would have on the way to his fortune. If he was given that fortune, he could well then be happy, but it would bring him no fulfillment.

@sweetheart5545 Said

no,of course money can't buy happiness,you can have all the clothes,all the jewelry,and everything else that you want,but happiness has to come from yourself and only yourself.

Can you buy happiness by giving your money to the poor?
samwell On October 27, 2012

Kent, Ohio
#15New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 18:00:44
I don't think anyone can rightly speak for anyone other than themselves. Since happiness is dependent of individual preferences, etc, it would follow that money does buy happiness for some, but not for others.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs