Forums: Sports:
Football (US)

Can MANCHESTER CITY buy success?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
STEVE666 On April 30, 2022

BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 13:51:54
Man City are now apparently the richest club on the planet. They're close to having spent ?100 million in the close season. On paper, they look like they've got the makings of a great team, but as big Ron Atkinson once said---you don't play on paper.
So, can you buy instant success?? What is classed nowadays as success? Top 4? FA cup?
It's my opinion, that if they don't hit the ground running this season, Mark Hughes will be the premierships first managerial casualty. What do you think?
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#2New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 14:03:23
Speaking as a mother, yes.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 14:11:22
Blackburn did, but then success was cheaper in those days.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 14:13:08
Yes, you can buy success...... Manchester United have been doing it for years. They have produced a lot of home-grown talent, but their best players..... the ones who made the difference between being champions and runners up were all bought. Cantona, Rooney and Ronaldo to name but three

But it's not just about flashing money around like there's no tomorrow. It has to be backed up by sound man management, astute tactics and an iron will to win.

Blackburn bought the Premiership title in 1995, but that was when the Premiership was still a new concept and the "big four" hadn't emerged. Jack Walker got in there before the system had evolved into what it is now.

There is no doubt that City have bought very good players and they will be highly motivated. But do they have the three most important ingredients:

1. A settled team and a happy dressing room
2. A sound tactical pattern
3. Mental toughness

The first is something they obviously don't have. Yet. These guys haven't been together for five minutes yet and although it is possible they could all "gel", the odds are against it.

The tactical pattern is down to Mark Hughes. He has to get all the parts in the machine working his way.... and that could mean playing some pretty big egos in positions they don't want to be in. A manager is always a hostage to his players moods and if he upsets any of these guys and "loses" the dressing room, then he's toast. But if he can keep them happy and get them clicking, then they will be a very formidable outfit. Just think how motivated Tevez is to get one over on Ferguson..... If Hughes can tap into that....? Interesting.

Mental toughness will be put to the test. If City get off to a good start, they will soon start to come under pressure from the big clubs. If the big clubs perceive City to be a threat to the status quo, they will get after them big time. City have to be up to that challenge. are they mentally strong enough...?

Success...? Well, I would think a trophy at the very least, but a Champions League place for 2010/11 would be preferable. The Carling Cup is the very, very minimum, but the FA Cup would be better. If they can get that, and a Champions League place too, then I think City's backers would be happy with that as a first season return.

The trouble then, would be that they would be expected to do better the following season, and that means a serious Premiership challenge and a place in the later stages of the Champions League.

I don't think Mark Hughes is going to get much sleep between August and May.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 14:29:44
I don't know but if a Scottish club spent a tenth of that amount in pre-season they would probably win the SPL.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 14:59:54
I don't know but if a Scottish club spent a tenth of that amount in pre-season they would probably win the SPL. <<< JMO

If a Scottish club had a tenth of what Manchester City have spent, to spend, they would be called Glasgow Celtic or Glasgow Rangers, and one of them would win the SPL anyway.

No offence intended, JMO, but that's pretty much the size of it.

STEVE666 On April 30, 2022

BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:02:45
Some great points there, Jennifer 1984.

With clubs like Man U and such, the investment was a more gradual thing that's happening across the city---re-investing in strengthening and maintaining their position.
With Man City, who, before the Abu Dhabi group took over, were just an average mid-table side going nowhere. What you have here is INSTANT investment, in trying to buy INSTANT success.
Personally, under the media spotlight and pressure, I think Man City will implode.

In fact, as a Villa fan, I'd wager Aston Villa finish higher in the table than Man City.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:16:14
Thanks for that, Steve. I think you're pretty much on the mark too. You'd get a pretty good price for your bet, I reckon, but with Martin O'Neill in charge, I'd say it's a good punt for ?20 of anyone's money.

And my mates call me Jen.

Regards

roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#9New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:26:39
Well, chelsea brought sucsess, but they had mourinho. I think city could do it if they brought in a better manager.
Also it takes a while because you have to get the right blend, just think how much money was watsed by chelsea on players that didnt work out until they found the right players.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs