Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Atheism

Can't we let agnostics be agnostics?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Carnotaurus On September 27, 2012

A City, Canada
#1New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 13:54:50
Here is a quote by James Cameron that made me really mad when I read it.

"I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism".

I hate it when people say that. Can't we just let agnostics be agnostics? Am I the only person who is mad because people keep saying stuff like this?
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#2New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:25:53
@Carnotaurus Said

I hate it when people say that. Can't we just let agnostics be agnostics? Am I the only person who is mad because people keep saying stuff like this?

He was probably referring to himself whether he realized it or not.
I think I am agnostic, but I'm not quite sure if that word describes how I feel. If I look up the definition it states impossible to know if God exists.
That doesn't quite sum up the way I feel about it.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#3New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:45:15
@Carnotaurus Said

Actually, I think it takes more courage to say "I don't know", than to just pick a position without any basis in reason. And besides, they have a nice perk, being fundamentalist atheists standing around patting each other on the back. It's a false fellowship of course, but they've got their blinders on so they don't know it.

@futilevoice Said

He was probably referring to himself whether he realized it or not.
I think I am agnostic, but I'm not quite sure if that word describes how I feel. If I look up the definition it states impossible to know if God exists.
That doesn't quite sum up the way I feel about it.

Yeah, we can't even know if it's impossible to know. All we can say with any certainty is that we're unable to know at this time. I mean God could make an appearance tomorrow and say, "OK guys, the experiment's over. We've filled our quota."

....and the universe goes **POOF**
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#4New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 15:59:23
@Carnotaurus Said

OK, so you"re a Non believer, so why do you hold so much credence to what other people are saying? I really don't believe that there is a separate entity people refer to as God. I believe that God is within EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE I really don't care what other people think about MY beliefs. They are mine and if you don't agree, then mind your own business and leave me alone.

Forget what Other people think, unless you have doubts and are still looking for something to believe in.

J.R.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 16:02:27
yeah, James Cameron just tried to go to the centre of the earth and is now ploughing all his money into mining asteroids Im not bothered what he thinks.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 16:44:29
I think adopting an open minded approach to belief is always a good thing.I'm an atheist but am more inclined to accept agnosticism as a valid form of belief as it doesn't really rule anything out. It opens a lot of questions up but it also can mean that you're not quite as prejudiced about the answers.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:01:56
Well I'm 'agnostic' over most things.

I think the religious debate has become so far-reaching and so polarised it's difficult for agnostics to escape criticism. People seem to think you have to have a firm conviction on religion for some reason. There are very few other philosophies or beliefs were this is the case.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:05:08
James Cameron's ego is larger than the oversized budgets of his films.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#9New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:53:04
I am agnostic, cannot be atheist, because quite frankly, I'm always open to the unknown and new ideas. To be completely against an idea especially when there is no proof one way or another is a huge error in judgment me thinks.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#10New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 19:22:39
Sure.
chaski On about 11 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 19:26:27
Can't we let agnostics be agnostics?

No. Absolutely not. We should force them to decide under threat or pain of electrocution.

Uploaded at ImageFra.me
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 19:49:25
Possibly a difference between one who insists that it is impossible to know, and one who claims that they do not know........But then, there are differences between each and every human being. Each is unique.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs