US Election 2012

Campaign Polls, the Media and Voter Reaction

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
USAFPSPRET On December 05, 2013

Cape May, New Jersey
#1New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 13:27:53
Reading through the most recent round of presidential campaign polls by independent groups and the traditional and internet media now has President Obama seemingly strengthening as the likely choice for most voters.

The New York Times Politics section has an interesting internet page called FiveThirtyEight run by a young statistician, Nate Silver. Mr. Silver is generally loved or hated by the liberal media and pundits depending on his most recent data flow and how it affects liberal candidates.

Currently, Mr. Silver and his NYT page/poll predicts President Obama has a 76+% advantage in winning the national election in November and assuming a second term. His state by state poll shows NY as a 100% area for Obama, NJ in the high 90% range and PA now listed just over 93% for Obama. It is listed as a blog for the NYT, but I'll link it as Silver is a darling for the Left at this moment. Silver states as of today, Obama would take something over 308 electoral college votes. https://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/a-warning-on-the-accuracy-of-primary-polls/

This type of scenario was in play during the Carter run for a second term against Ronald Reagan. Carter was shown to have a 17% lead over Reagan just prior to the election. Reagan won in a landslide victory.

Are we seeing accurate data from the print, TV, radio and electronic media or is something happening in the mainstream media and its reporting that would suppress the obvious high turnout of right-of center voters in this year's elections?

Its been reported that conservative initiative this year is much higher than those on the liberal side, so why, as we enter the final stretch, is Obama being predicted the likely winner of the election? If you talk to people in south Jersey, they want Obama out at all costs, the same in Pennsylvania outside the large cities. Still the media is publishing polling data which would have one believe Obama can't lose.

Is this a subtle form of voter suppression or accurate data?
TheMuse On February 15, 2016

#2New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 14:06:05
I see the same thing here in Michigan, I have yet to run into a person that wants obama to have a 2nd term. Not to say that the past obama supporter will vote for Romney, but instead not vote at all.

So when it comes to polls I don't even bother to read the all or registered voters polled but the likely voters, ones which show it's still a very close race.

Cape May, New Jersey
#3New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 14:16:53
@TheMuse Said

I see the same thing here in Michigan, I have yet to run into a person that wants obama to have a 2nd term. Not to say that the past obama supporter will vote for Romney, but instead not vote at all.

So when it comes to polls I don't even bother to read the all or registered voters polled but the likely voters, ones which show it's still a very close race.

I remember during the 2008 Obama/McCain campaigns, there were political lawn posters and signs all over the place; most for Obama, but many for McCain. We took a trip in late August of 2008 by car and the signs were prevalent everywhere.

Almost nothing this year for Obama or for Romney in my area of south Jersey and the area of Pennsylvania I used to live, including the area in-between.

Election day in November may be quite a surprise for the news media. I think they actually believe what they write and extrapolate from the data they collect.

I haven't run into anyone who said they are not voting.
TheMuse On February 15, 2016

#4New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 14:55:38
@USAFPSPRET Said

I remember during the 2008 Obama/McCain campaigns, there were political lawn posters and signs all over the place; most for Obama, but many for McCain. We took a trip in late August of 2008 by car and the signs were prevalent everywhere.

Almost nothing this year for Obama or for Romney in my area of south Jersey and the area of Pennsylvania I used to live, including the area in-between.

Election day in November may be quite a surprise for the news media. I think they actually believe what they write and extrapolate from the data they collect.

I haven't run into anyone who said they are not voting.

I know here in Michigan you are not allowed to put up yard signs until 30 days from an election...so October might be interesting here..

Cape May, New Jersey
#5New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 16:31:30
@TheMuse Said

I know here in Michigan you are not allowed to put up yard signs until 30 days from an election...so October might be interesting here..

Similar for Pennsylvania regarding public areas along rights of way and state/county/municipal owned and maintained proprties. However, private homeowners, not restricted by a condo or homeowners association, can place yard signs, including political signs, inward of a right of way at any time for any amount of time. Just not much out here this year.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#6New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 16:36:05
@USAFPSPRET Said

Similar for Pennsylvania regarding public areas along rights of way and state/county/municipal owned and maintained proprties. However, private homeowners, not restricted by a condo or homeowners association, can place yard signs, including political signs, inward of a right of way at any time for any amount of time. Just not much out here this year.

Could sites like facebook and other social media sites be the new yard sign? I am seeing more of these than the yard signs. New way Old way. I would say if you have a facebook page then you have seen a few "NEW SIGNS"
edit here in Ohio it seems to be about 50/50. this also depends on what area you are in.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 18:25:23
@USAFPSPRET Said

Reading through the most recent round of presidential campaign polls by independent groups and the traditional and internet media now has President Obama seemingly strengthening as the likely choice for most voters.

The New York Times Politics section has an interesting internet page called FiveThirtyEight run by a young statistician, Nate Silver. Mr. Silver is generally loved or hated by the liberal media and pundits depending on his most recent data flow and how it affects liberal candidates.

Currently, Mr. Silver and his NYT page/poll predicts President Obama has a 76+% advantage in winning the national election in November and assuming a second term. His state by state poll shows NY as a 100% area for Obama, NJ in the high 90% range and PA now listed just over 93% for Obama. It is listed as a blog for the NYT, but I'll link it as Silver is a darling for the Left at this moment. Silver states as of today, Obama would take something over 308 electoral college votes. https://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/a-warning-on-the-accuracy-of-primary-polls/

This type of scenario was in play during the Carter run for a second term against Ronald Reagan. Carter was shown to have a 17% lead over Reagan just prior to the election. Reagan won in a landslide victory.

Are we seeing accurate data from the print, TV, radio and electronic media or is something happening in the mainstream media and its reporting that would suppress the obvious high turnout of right-of center voters in this year's elections?

Its been reported that conservative initiative this year is much higher than those on the liberal side, so why, as we enter the final stretch, is Obama being predicted the likely winner of the election? If you talk to people in south Jersey, they want Obama out at all costs, the same in Pennsylvania outside the large cities. Still the media is publishing polling data which would have one believe Obama can't lose.

Is this a subtle form of voter suppression or accurate data?

That's incorrect about Reagan vs. Carter. Yes, Carter did have a lead until the Oct. 29th debate (the only debate of the election), but after the debate, polls showed Reagan to be pulling even, which is why it is considered to be one of the biggest debates in our history. Reagan's immortal "there you go again," originated from there.

So what does this tell us? It tells us that polls are fairly accurate these days. Voters just changed their minds the last week in 1980.

This year Romney is going to have to hope for a similar game changer in the debates, as it is his only hope now after the Convention flop. And knowing Obama, I don't think it will happen.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 18:27:37
And I've heard that "but everyone I talked to voted for the other guy!" bulls*** too, even after elections are over. People don't realize how one sided their own circles are.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#9New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 19:59:49
How on earth could this be considered "voter suppression"?
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#10New Post! Sep 16, 2012 @ 22:54:04
@El_Tino Said

There is some debate over whether or not the casual voter will turn out if they think that their guy is a shoe in..

So, if states that are close start saying that Obama has a 30 point lead, lots of people won't bother to go and vote for him, because they figure it's in the bag..

Then, Romney wins the state, because the poll was incorrect, and the casual voter didn't bother to show up.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 05:10:40
Actually the polls taken together showed Reagan ahead long before the debate.
https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/debunking-a-myth-reagan-was-leading-carter-long-before-that-final-october-debate/

This is just a myth to keep the pubs interested in someone they did not want as their candidate but they have to settle for.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#12New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 06:32:44
@boxerdc Said

There is some debate over whether or not the casual voter will turn out if they think that their guy is a shoe in..

So, if states that are close start saying that Obama has a 30 point lead, lots of people won't bother to go and vote for him, because they figure it's in the bag..

Then, Romney wins the state, because the poll was incorrect, and the casual voter didn't bother to show up.

That's one theory, except the OP seems to think its a media conspiracy "that would suppress the obvious high turnout of right-of center voters in this year's elections".
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#13New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 11:40:07
[smile]https://i.tfster.com/i47/5/1/4/tfs_43ccb8339781.gif">
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 15:43:30
@El_Tino Said

It's the new conservative talking point.... didn't you get the memo?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 15:51:20
@boxerdc Said

That could go either way, as the Romney supporter wouldn't bother to vote either if he/she thinks he doesn't have a chance.

The polls have therefore been fairly accurate despite that theory.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs