The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
UK Elections & Politics

Cameron gets tough on burglars - they leave their rights at the door when they br

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#1New Post! Feb 02, 2010 @ 17:13:34
Anyone would think there was an election coming up. David Cameron a couple of days ago came up with something that was so "popularist", it practically squealed.

For a long time, its been thought that the criminal justice system favoured the wrongdoer. This is possibly not far off the truth, as if the householder did anything but bend over and prepared to be dry buttscrewed, then he could find himself facing the full weight of the law, whilst the burglar got yet another soft sentence. At least that is what most people think - normal people down the pub as the saying goes - the sort of people politicians sneer at.

So along comes Cameron and says that under his government, burglars human rights would be "left at the door". In other words, the onus of guilt would be on the burglar, not the householder who might whack the burglar with a cricket bat.

BBC news link

Of course, this is something that will appeal to people. When you examine it, what he's saying is a bit stupid and you can bet he won't do it, and labour in condeming it just show themselves to be out of touch and frankly scared of such a suggestion. This will appeal to people, that's just the thing.

Maybe they're also being a bit clever here - this might take votes away from extremists.

What anyone think? I think he's just electioneering and won't do this till hell freezes over.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#3New Post! Feb 02, 2010 @ 17:25:06
we already are tough on burglars, sure there's room for improvement but its no where near as bad, as Cameron or the tabloids are suggesting.

tabloids just take one or two examples of recent burglars apparently getting it "easy" whilst the home-owner is punished and then try to pretend that's how it is nationwide.

one or two examples don't mean anything, you can't extrapolate that too represent a whole country's justice system.

and the case involving the cricket bat is ridiculous, fair enough the victims where subjected too horrible things, and i have no sympathy for the burglars,
but running after the burglars, half way down a street, pinning them to the ground and smashing their heads in (literally) with a cricket bat, is not reasonable force or self defence and has no place in our society.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#4New Post! Feb 02, 2010 @ 17:37:25
I hear what you're saying - and yes that was a bit crazy - but he was a scrote too - but I wouldn't have wished that on him.

What a lot of people don't realise is that it's legal now to kill burglars.............if it is totally in self defense and you would otherwise be killed yourself.

I think he's just electioneering and saying what people want to hear - but hey, he's a politician right
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs