Abortion

Calls to make abortion easier

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Nov 28, 2006 @ 11:44:28
BRITAIN'S biggest abortion provider is calling for the termination of unwanted pregnancies to be made easier.

Currently under the Abortion Act, two doctors must certify that a termination is justified on health grounds.

The BPAS (British Pregnancy Advisory Service) want nurses to be able to dispense the abortion pill, which can be given when a woman has been pregnant for no more than nine weeks.

Abortion is legal in the UK up to the 24th week of pregnancy.

A survey commissioned by the BPAS, has found the majority of people in the UK still support legal pregnancy terminations.

Of more than 2,000 men and women questioned last May, 59% agreed that "abortion should be made legally available for all who want it".

A similar survey in 2001 found that 62% of people held this view.

And 63% of people taking part in the latest poll believed a woman should not have to continue with her pregnancy if she wanted an abortion, with 18% having the opposite opinion.

Fewer people taking part in the new poll had "very strong" opinions either supporting or opposing abortion than they did five years ago.

When those questioned were told of the rule requiring the consent of two doctors, more of them agreed with abortion within 24 weeks of pregnancy than when they were not given this information.

Ann Furedi, chief executive of the BPAS, said: "As at least one in three women in the UK can expect to have an abortion, it is not surprising that support for legal abortion remains quite strong, despite shrill campaigns by individuals who would like to see tighter laws.

"Abortion is a necessary back-up to birth control for couples who want to plan their families. No woman ever wants to need to have an abortion."

Last year the BPAS, formerly known as the British Pregnancy Advisory Service, carried out almost 50,000 abortions in the UK, 85% of which were on behalf of the NHS.

Ms Furedi pointed out that many cases of unwanted pregnancy were the result of failed contraception.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006550290,00.html

I know its from the sun buts all over the main news..
soulmerger On July 07, 2007

Babylon, Michigan
#2New Post! Nov 28, 2006 @ 12:14:31
Well the article got me hooked regardless lol

Yeah..In very few cases can I see or understand a person getting abortion done, like horrific circumstances, and if they do only within a few weeks not when the thing is seriously growing (not that it isn't already). Which even then I think it sucks. I can't see abortion as a form of birth-control.
I just think people in general need to have sex education and awareness and act responsibly, know some of the repercussions of those actions. Serious subject though...I just think people in general with sex could act more responsibly.

Those #'s if accurate are pretty big...
vanished On April 24, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 28, 2006 @ 12:33:38
i thnik it should be avalible to everyone but i don't think abortion should be viewd as a birth control (though it is) but it should not be so causal. people need an abortion for meny reasons some people would not undersatnd or for health reasons. it should not be as common as "don't worrie about undereducated people they can have an abortion" i think the subject needs to be taken seriously.
after all this i would have to say i agree with abortions but people need to be more educated about protection.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs