Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#31New Post! May 27, 2009 @ 07:06:53
@Tailkinker Said

Well, the sad thing is that the supreme court ruled in the constitutionally correct way. Unfortunately the majority of Americans are bigoted against gays and in a republic like ours that means no gay marriage. The only way to change this is to continue to touch peoples hearts and minds and getting them to understand that making sure that gays have equal rights wont hurt them in many ways.

It has to be done one debate at a time, one conversation at a time, one heart at a time. It will take a long long time to do this.

Absolutely spot on. I agree entirely.

When gay marriage was legalised in the UK in 2005, the churches warned that it was the end of civilisation as we knew it. They forecast a complete breakdown in society and that there would be a backlash against homosexuals of "Biblical proportions", as the Roman Catholic Primate in Britain called it.

What tosh..!!. No such thing happened.

Nearly four years on, the skies haven't darkened, the seas haven't boiled and a plague has not descended upon the land.

Rather, gay marriage has eased seamlessly into the public consciousness. My wife and I live in our local community with no problems and we get on well with all our neighbours. There was a little surprise at first and we did get a few stares, but once they realised that we just go about our daily lives the same as everyone else then we became "just another young couple".

This is what would happen in the US too, I believe, if it was given the chance.

Perhaps it is the British experience that has been seen by the churches in the US, and this is what they fear.... They see a successful, happy, peaceful integration of homosexuals in mainstream society in Britain and they are terrified it could happen in the US, too.

Perhaps it is our experience that has steeled the resolve of the US churches to prevent gay marriage. Their reasons for that are undoubtedly borne of bigotry, prejudice and hatred. Very un-christian behaviour, don't you think...? But the only way to defeat that behaviour is to rise above it.

Be better than them. Just be yourselves and live peacefully with your neighbours and your loved ones. That will reach more hearts and minds than all the spittle-flecked ranting from pulpits. Little by little, the tide WILL turn.

The tide of history is with you. Best wishes.

sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#32New Post! May 27, 2009 @ 08:24:12
@Kristy69 Said

https://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/05/california-supreme-court-upholds-ban-on-gay-marriages.html

It's official, I've lost hope in our society.

Come on people, it's the f***ing 21st century. Get over your primitive ideologies!

This is really bad - no good can come from this. I'm in Australia and even we heard about the arrests and violence outside the courthouse in California today.

What makes no sense is that the 18 000 marriages that already took place are considered legal. Under what statute? I'm no lawyer but if Mary and Bettie Sue's gay marriage from last year is legal, that gives me grounds to appeal in CA that I should be able to marry a woman also. If they didn't vote on or address this legality today, it's a loop hole to me. A loop hole that creates more angst and expense and tears and law-suits & puts off the inevitable.

I guess US gay couples can fly to other states and get married...I think gay marriage is legal in Nevada, for example. But why should they have to? Laws of a state should reflect the wishes of the people in that state. That's what the law is for......I think some law-makers have forgotten this important maxim.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#33New Post! May 27, 2009 @ 13:01:22
I think that the California supreme court wanted to do one of two things..

Either they sent down a confusing ruling (ie, same sex marriage is not legal, except for the same sex marriages that have already taken place) so that it could be fought and won on those grounds, or

They want it to be sent up the the US Supreme court, so that the matter will be settled nationwide once and for all.

I'm hoping that it's the former, as I don't believe that we've got enough support with "the" supremes to get it passed just yet.. Another few years perhaps, but not just yet.

Either way, there's more to this than meets the eye. I'm holding off on how I feel, until I see how it's going to play out.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs