Forums: Art & Literature:
Writing

By Chance. a book blurb.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#1New Post! Aug 13, 2014 @ 14:13:17
This is a draft-blurb for a book I've written and am getting set up for a go at publishing. If you've any comments on it feel free.
How does it sound to you?
Does the element of mystery surrounding the characters and story intrigue enough to draw interest to read more?

Book One: By Chance.
Set in the near future and inspired by the haunting mosaic of movies such as Gothica and it's struggles of finding sanity and books like, Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen, and, I Never Promised You A Rose Garden, by Joanne Greenberg, By Chance follows a young woman named Carlii who wakens to find herself locked within the walls of an asylum. With no chance of winning free and shadowed by the phantom enigma of a woman named Mara, who may or may not be the affect of a Goddess, Carlii must work to retain her assumed sanity while adapting to the surrounding madness. A thing made harder by the dream-like visions of worlds and realities that couldn't possibly be real. In the midst of this, by chance, and Mara, she finds herself drawn to a fellow patient of her ward, a young woman named Ariella. A woman claiming to be from an alternate world that is a twin to the Earth that Carlii knows, a twin Earth that is driven by magic instead of science. A woman with whom she feels the inexplicable bond growing that can only be ascribed as to that of a soul mate. For the pairs psychiatrist and head of the woman's ward, Dr. Sara Chalkin, it's a case that just might change her perception of reality altogether, if it doesn't drive her mad or kill her first.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#2New Post! Aug 13, 2014 @ 16:16:04
Needs a grammar do-over.

Pacific North West,
#3New Post! Aug 13, 2014 @ 16:34:09
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Needs a grammar do-over.

Very true. It's an off the cuff draft. Just want to know if the thematic's of it work to draw interest. If not I need to change the perspective of it.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Aug 13, 2014 @ 17:38:11
no, i wouldn't interest anymore. you gave us too much information. the reference at the beginning of the paragraph, before the story. take out, it confusing with the story. the describe of the beginning of the story. too information, not necessary to start on the first page. less information, the better, let the reader get slowing involve with the charcter. not ovewrwhelming.
newmexicodan On September 15, 2023

roswell,
#5New Post! Aug 13, 2014 @ 19:44:40
It sounds fine to me. Personally, I like something different from the usual run of the mill things.Yes, there is an enough of an element of mystery to want to know more. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Pacific North West,
#6New Post! Aug 14, 2014 @ 02:20:06
@twilitezone911 Said

no, i wouldn't interest anymore. you gave us too much information. the reference at the beginning of the paragraph, before the story. take out, it confusing with the story. the describe of the beginning of the story. too information, not necessary to start on the first page. less information, the better, let the reader get slowing involve with the charcter. not ovewrwhelming.

@newmexicodan Said

It sounds fine to me. Personally, I like something different from the usual run of the mill things.Yes, there is an enough of an element of mystery to want to know more. I wish you good luck in your endeavors.

Thank you both for the input, very helpful and much appreciated.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Aug 15, 2014 @ 05:27:56
@Octavarium Said

I tend to believe some forms of madness may actually be an affliction of extreme sanity

Yeah, it's been a really funny trip. Like those fat kids that used to get locked in the school janitor's tool shed over night while everyone outside banged, growled and scratched at the shed only to find chubby swinging from the shed rafters when they went to release him the next morning.

So as we are only a joke in here so will we only be a joke in the beyond.

I've never met anyone who truly needed love; only something to laugh at.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs