Apple Computers

Buying a new Mac, what kind do I need?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
baronvonkaiser On February 07, 2007

Edmonton, Canada
#1New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:04:49
I'm not sure what kind of computer I need, but I keep hearing that Macs are way better than PC's, and according to all the commercials I've been seeing lately they are more fun to use! Thats what I want it for, just for fun, I like to play games and stuff and of course I might have to use it for work sometimes as well. I don't know how much I need to spend though, will a Macbook run all the cool games out now or do I need to buy a MacPro?

Also, I will need to connect to my computer here at work once in a while which is a PC, is that easy to do?
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#2New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:08:42
that was true once aint any more PC's are faster and more compatable
get a pc
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:08:57
Macs *are* PCs. They run OS X, but you can also install Windows on them.

If you move to OS X, there will be a bit of a learning curve. You will spend a lot more money for the same hardware. You should be able to connect to the network at work just fine. You will *not* be able to run the vast majority of games unless you install Windows.

What types of games are you talking about? This will determine whether you need windows and whether you need a dedicated graphics adapter in your system.

Edmonton, Canada
#4New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:14:25
I want to play a variety of games, Need for speed, Rise of Legends, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Prey, Halflife 2, They all look cool, But you said I might need to install Windows to play them???
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#5New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:15:04
@baronvonkaiser Said
I want to play a variety of games, Need for speed, Rise of Legends, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Prey, Halflife 2, They all look cool, But you said I might need to install Windows to play them???

you would need windows for all/most of them
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#6New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:16:29
you might aswell buy a 360 a lot less cost
and the games will run smoother
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:23:49
Yes, you would need Windows. And you will want a dedicated graphics card.

A Macbook Pro could fit the bill, as it has dedicated graphics (Radeon X1600), and you can install Windows on it.

Since you're going to need Windows anyway, though, I'd suggest skipping OS X entirely and just buying a Gateway, HP/Compaq, Dell, or Lenovo/IBM laptop instead.

Get a dual core processor, nVidia or ATI Radeon graphics, and 1GB of RAM. If you plan to carry it around a fair bit, look for a 14" or smaller widescreen display. If you want a big screen and don't mind the weight, go for a 17" display. 15.4" widescreens suck because they have the same resolution as the 14" screens, but weigh quite a bit more.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

#8New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:41:45
@jonnythan Said
15.4" widescreens suck

indeed
rowanski On January 29, 2009

ALston, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:48:45
whats a mac?
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

#10New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:51:09
@rowanski Said
whats a mac?

rowanski On January 29, 2009

ALston, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 16:54:12
@pete Said

now I Know

Edmonton, Canada
#12New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 17:19:48
So, in order to play all those games I need to install windows... I must be missing something, what about all the advertising Apple is doing, all their commercials, they all say that Mac's are the fun computers and pc's are for nothing but work, but you can't play games on a mac without installing windows? That doesn't make any sense... Also, what is the advantage then to running windows on a Mac rather than on a PC?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 17:32:38
It's just that.. advertising. There's nothing that special about OS X. It is, in general, easier to use Apple PCs (yes, they are PCs) to do many computing tasks, but not very. Don't listen to the Apple hype. It's just hype.

OS X does *not* support the vast majority of PC games. Virtually all PC games are released for Windows. Occasionally, some games will (eventually) get released for OS X, but that's not common.

There is no advantage to running Windows on a Mac vs a normal PC. Macs are 100% the same hardware as "normal" PCs, they just run a different operating system.

My recommendation for you is to forget Apple entirely.

Edmonton, Canada
#14New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 19:34:47
Wow, I'm actually very suprised by what I've found out. I took a look for some of those games and you're absolutely right, they hardly make any games at all for the Mac, and the only ones I could find were WAY more expensive than the PC versions. Those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials are very misleading.
I am curious to know though, where is Mac's strength? I guess for a gamer PC seems to be the best choice, if I were to just use the computer for work related stuff, documents and spreadsheets, is that where a Mac is a better bet? The company I work for uses MS Office, I don't know much about transferring those, is it easy to take work like that home to a Mac and go back and forth with them?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Feb 07, 2007 @ 20:04:11
As for Office, Microsoft makes Office for OS X, so in that respect it's basically identical to the PC.

Here's an excellent comparison of the systems, from a longtime Windows user who recently purchased a Mac as a second computer:

"What I have ascertained is not that PCs as we know them lack good design, but that PCs as we know them have hardly any design to speak of. I'm not trying to be insulting. Use a Mac for a week, and we'll talk again.

I have edited autoexec.bat files in order to optimize the amount of available conventional memory, and I liked doing it, liked being the sort of person who could. As a PC user, enduring the grotesqueries of that experience is something that we are actually proud of. It's come a long way since then, jokes about "blue screens" and what not ring like tired vaudeville acts. But those struggles were certainly real, the battle wounds considerable, and now the skin has grown over it and to a certain extent we think this is just how it is.

I didn't even understand that's what was going on until I started to write this. Like men who love the wilderness for its savage and untamed qualities, I believe many of us are drawn to this stark brutality. That frontier living, the self reliance, the adversity. The Mac, like The Alliance in World of Warcraft, was easy mode.

I don't think that the Macintosh was inspired by ancient holy scrolls, found in a sea cave and excised from the original bible by a convocation of priests and wise men. But I do like it very much. It is extremely good at what it does, which is to say, exposing functionality."

Bottom line is that OS X really does make using the computer somewhat more straightforward and intuitive, but if you want to play games, it makes way more sense to just stick with Windows than try to use both OS X and Windows.

And as for those commercials, they are very misleading, but there is some truth to them. You'll notice the commercials never talk about games. They focus mostly on how easy it is to create movies, slideshows, podcasts, etc. Content creation has always been a strong point on the Mac. The Apple applications really make it extremely straightforward to make this kind of stuff. Many PC applications are at least as good, and sometimes more powerful, but iLife makes recording music, creating DVDs, s*** like that, easy.

The whole hook of the Macintosh platform is "easy, intuitive, straightforward, and powerful." The entire design goal behind the entire system is to expose functionality as clearly as possible to the user. It works to some extent, but there are certain things (like games) that you have to simply give up to move to the platform.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs