Buy a book or borrow from the library?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#1New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:20:48
Something I was thinking about today (Yes I was bored), if you read, do you prefer to buy the book, or just borrow it from a public library?

For the first time in a long time, I went to borrow one today. It looks suitably "libraryish" - well used, you can tell the paper used to be white etc etc - it has character

So I'm thinking of the pros and cons to borrowing vs buying.

Buying

You can get the latest book without waiting - often discounted at a supermarket if it's a bestseller.

It's yours - it's clean, you can keep it as long as you want to.

You could buy it second hand from the usual places, really REALLY cheap,and yes it's second hand, but odds on only one person has owned it previously.

If you don't want to keep it after for a second read or to stick on the shelf for bragging rights - you could give it to a charity shop, then you can treat yourself to feeling pretty smug that you gave it away

Cons - costs money.

Library

Vast collection of free to borrow books.

ITS FREE! Yayyyy

It's environmentally friendly - can't recycle more than a few hundred people borrowing the same book can you?

Cons -
Dirty books, some dirty buggers prob read them after wiping their backsides - then you borrow it and get their poo on your fingers. Plus I'm always finding dodgy hairs in them

What do you think?
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:24:39
I like my own books. I don't like the thought that someone else has used something that I have.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:32:04
I do both but when I buy it's usually from a charity shop. So much cheaper and so often brand new.

Also feel good and altruistic about myself.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:34:12
I tend to get books from the library as I can't afford to keep buying them. I'm struggling to find any decent books at the minute from the library though so I've bought a few.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:36:15
Don't know what it's like at different libraries but my local one gets ones in from other libraries if you request them specifically.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! Feb 01, 2010 @ 18:33:11
I only buy books if I absolutely have to have them in my collection. Other than that, Libraries are one of the best inventions of mankind.

If I have to have a book, I'll get it without thinking twice. Plus I only buy hardcover books, Can't stand paperbacks.

Also there is something absolutely magical about libraries, they hold so much and its ALL YOURS! I can wonder around for hours, and often I find the best books by just browsing shelves where as in a bookstore, i tend to go straight for what I want in my head and that's it. I also love the fact that libraries often have first editions, with original covers, reviews etc. With books stores I often find them replaced, and its truly not fair to the jacket design guy when he's concept is scratched for that of a movie star who made a movie out of the book. I also find it to be really misleading to the true book because sometimes the movies are nothing like the book.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#7New Post! Feb 01, 2010 @ 18:35:37
But I do understand the 'dirtiness' of a book in libraries. that's the only downfall in my opinion.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#8New Post! Feb 01, 2010 @ 18:38:31
I usually buy my own books, but I really should make use of the library more.

If it's something I anticipate liking, I tend to buy it. If I want to mark it up, I definitely buy it. If I plan to resell it (more expensive books, like for school) I buy it.

If it's something I'm just thinking of reading and I'm not sure if I'll really want to keep it, it makes more sense to take it out of the library. I should do this more often
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#9New Post! Feb 01, 2010 @ 18:39:34
books?

I'll stick with the inter-tubes, for my reading material.
missygnome On October 05, 2010

lancashire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Feb 01, 2010 @ 18:54:28
me to jmo, and in the charity shop i help in we get dozens donated and they are very cheap, so i get mine mainly from there,
but i try to visit my libary once in a while to

@jmo Said

I do both but when I buy it's usually from a charity shop. So much cheaper and so often brand new.

Also feel good and altruistic about myself.
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 02, 2010 @ 09:20:41
I buy them from charity shops but I use the library too. I reserve new books on the library website as they're too expensive to buy.
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#12New Post! Mar 19, 2010 @ 03:06:10
I usually buy them,if it's one of my favorite authors,otherwise I go to the library I can also reserve the book on the library website,and they will get it at the other library that's not too far from my house if they don't have it at there's
Barbarella On April 11, 2010

Banned

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 19, 2010 @ 03:37:11
The thing about a library book is it's something you can keep.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#14New Post! Mar 19, 2010 @ 04:02:56
I stopped buying books when I gave up my career to raise kids, they're just TOO expensive here in Oz.
I have a collection of about 1500 Sci-Fi books that I won't part with, most are classics, or just a damn good read.
I also have ONE that I "forgot" to return to the Library, in 1964!
I wonder what the "Late Fees" are up to now?
Probably about half the GNP!
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#15New Post! Mar 19, 2010 @ 04:05:48
Don't forget the full control you have if you are the type of person who likes to highlight or just fold the corners as bookmarks and such. Then owning is better. Also when you really like it and wish to keep the book of course.

If not, you can borrow from the library and make sure no fine will be charged and handle with care.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs