Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Atheism

Buddhism is patriarchal too.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Carnotaurus On September 27, 2012

A City, Canada
#1New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 20:54:34
Buddhism is just as patriarchal as Christianity and Islam. Why do so many atheists only accuse Islam and Christianity of patriarchy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eight_Garudhammas

Pretty much every religion that was created before the 19th century is patriarchal. There are some exceptions (like ancient Egyptian paganism), but very few.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 21:02:07
I had some guy talking to me for ages at a pub the other day about patriarchy in Buddhism, found it rather enlightening if you'll excuse the pun.

It's not surprising that religions founded on ancient texts are patriarchal, that's how society was during the time in which they were written. It doesn't mean you have to uphold it though as part of the religion though.

I think people focus more on Abrahamic religions for the same reason. In this part of the world, Christianity and Islam are more commonplace and so atheists would generally be more familiar with it. If we were on the other side of the world then perhaps it would be different.
chaski On about 12 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 21:16:46
@Carnotaurus Said

Buddhism is just as patriarchal as Christianity and Islam. Why do so many atheists only accuse Islam and Christianity of patriarchy?

Pretty much every religion that was created before the 19th century is patriarchal. There are some exceptions (like ancient Egyptian paganism), but very few.

Maybe because buddhists don't run around trying to cram their religion down peoples throats.... maybe because buddhist don't run around pointing their fingers at people from other belief systems and telling them that they are going to burn in hell forever... maybe because in spite of being "patriarchal" buddhists do not have a history of burning women at the stake or executing them (honor killings)...
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#4New Post! Jul 09, 2012 @ 22:08:45
@Carnotaurus Said

Is Buddhims really a religion?
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 07:03:55
@Erimitus Said

Is Buddhims really a religion?

I take it that was a joke.....BuddHIMS?

Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 07:12:11
@tariki Said