Brexit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...54 55 56 57 58 ...73 74 75 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#826New Post! Oct 24, 2020 @ 14:16:01
Only Brexit could eventually lead to this..........

The break up of the United Kingdom is inevitable. The only question is; how many parts it will fragment into.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#827New Post! Oct 25, 2020 @ 17:31:20
A view of Brexit from The New European newspaper:-

Brexit Shambles
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#828New Post! Nov 02, 2020 @ 19:02:48
I love this. Especially for the final punchline

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#829New Post! Nov 06, 2020 @ 01:57:13
Bonfire night (5 November) is a celebration of the victory of democracy over an attempt to overthrow it by authoritarian, autocratic regimes.

I think this message from last night sends out a message that the good work is still going on.

mrmhead On about 24 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#830New Post! Nov 06, 2020 @ 02:20:25
@Jennifer1984 Said

Bonfire night (5 November) is a celebration of the victory of democracy over an attempt to overthrow it by authoritarian, autocratic regimes.

I think this message from last night sends out a message that the good work is still going on.

Of questionable origin, but funny.

They should go on Britain's Got Talent!
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#831New Post! Nov 13, 2020 @ 10:27:32
Apparently the Brexit Talks are now in "the tunnel stage" which I understand means "serious" and "intense" prior to announcement of some sort of deal. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows these days......days of some sort of "power struggle" at the "top" AKA 10 Downing Street. Maybe Larry the cat is to replaced with a dog?

My own thoughts are that for all intents and purposes the so called Transition Stage will be extended indefinitely beyond 31/01/21. Multiple things will be left largely in limbo, still to be "ironed out", possible re-negotiated, to be "sorted" as and when various circumstances unfold. Obviously, such will not be acknowledged. A "Deal" of some sort will be heralded, with the Tory Press rejoicing in the "achievement" of Mr Johnson, the Deal a triumph for his "no nonsense" and "tough" line.

Nigel Farage, once their darling, will remain virtually silenced. Lets face it, please don't mention BRINO otherwise we will be back where we stated, with the Tories losing votes to UKIP.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#832New Post! Nov 13, 2020 @ 20:40:40
@dookie Said

Apparently the Brexit Talks are now in "the tunnel stage" which I understand means "serious" and "intense" prior to announcement of some sort of deal. Maybe, maybe not. Who knows these days......days of some sort of "power struggle" at the "top" AKA 10 Downing Street. Maybe Larry the cat is to replaced with a dog?

My own thoughts are that for all intents and purposes the so called Transition Stage will be extended indefinitely beyond 31/01/21. Multiple things will be left largely in limbo, still to be "ironed out", possible re-negotiated, to be "sorted" as and when various circumstances unfold. Obviously, such will not be acknowledged. A "Deal" of some sort will be heralded, with the Tory Press rejoicing in the "achievement" of Mr Johnson, the Deal a triumph for his "no nonsense" and "tough" line.

Nigel Farage, once their darling, will remain virtually silenced. Lets face it, please don't mention BRINO otherwise we will be back where we stated, with the Tories losing votes to UKIP.

The shoddy thing about Brexit at this moment is that with less than two months left before the absolute cut off point of 31 December 2020 (not 31 January 2021), progress is still painfully slow, or completely stalled while a power game is raging in Number 10.

On the plus side, it was wonderful to see Dominic Cummings leaving number 10 tonight carrying a cardboard box, presumably filled with everything he's taken down from the walls of whatever cupboard he locked himself away in to dream up whatever.

Lee Cain was first in line for an elevated level of the Communications Warlord role he's been engaged in with The BBC, Sky News and anybody else who dares to ask Boris difficult questions he doesn't have time for and wouldn't answer even if he had the answers...... which he invariably doesn't.

Cain was a shoo-in for the role until First Mistress Carrie Symonds got involved and (presumably) told Boris he'd be sleeping in the shed if he didn't sort it out so she could get some bloody kip.

The Tory backbench rebellion was growing apace, lurching dangerously close to a vote of no confidence in Boris which worried the 1922 Committee so much they called Rishi Sunak in for a "little chat" (for which, read "Job Interview" ) during the week should Boris suddenly find HIMSELF purged. The Tories are ruthless.

And so Lee Cain didn't get his job which created a power vacuum which Dominic Cummings has clearly lost in his attempt to insert another Leave.UK member into and has made his position untenable. Untenable as in: "Boris won't save me this time because he's facing the chop himself and if there is one job he'll do anything to protect more than mine, it's his."

And so Dom has jumped before he's pushed, well, more like thrown overboard with a concrete block around his ankles into a river full of crocodiles and piranhas.

The thing about this is that it's got nothing to do with Brexit or Coronavirus or running the economy or the country...... it's a power game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fiddling while Rome burns doesn't begin to cover it.

While our country is in crisis on multiple levels, over many events, the entire attention of government in this country has been solely engaged with an internal power struggle.

This isn't government, it's negligence at a level that should bring the government down, but it won't.

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#833New Post! Nov 13, 2020 @ 21:04:11
Yes, a good summary. Yes, I got the date wrong......I was actually panicking out on a park bench, it was spitting with rain but I had to stay where I was for Wi-Fi reception, and my Kindle was showing "1" for battery level! That's my excuse!

What the excuse is for the dog's dinner of the current mob now "in charge" is anyone's guess.

The UK is edging towards the cliff edge.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#834New Post! Nov 13, 2020 @ 21:17:14
@dookie Said

Yes, a good summary. Yes, I got the date wrong......I was actually panicking out on a park bench, it was spitting with rain but I had to stay where I was for Wi-Fi reception, and my Kindle was showing "1" for battery level! That's my excuse!

What the excuse is for the dog's dinner of the current mob now "in charge" is anyone's guess.

The UK is edging towards the cliff edge.

You're slipping, Dooks..... letting your Kindle battery slip is a serious matter. How would I get through Far From The Madding Crowd (145th time around. I love Thomas Hardy novels) if I let that happen..?

But yes.. the cliff edge is getting closer all the time. And they're laughing at us from Calais. The Brexiters don't seem to realise they can see us from there too. The view across the Strait of Dover works both ways.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#835New Post! Nov 13, 2020 @ 21:27:31
@Jennifer1984 Said

You're slipping, Dooks..... letting your Kindle battery slip is a serious matter. How would I get through Far From The Madding Crowd (145th time around. I love Thomas Hardy novels) if I let that happen..?

But yes.. the cliff edge is getting closer all the time. And they're laughing at us from Calais. The Brexiters don't seem to realise they can see us from there too. The view across the Strait of Dover works both ways.

Actually having trouble with my kindle, battery charging wise......ordered another.......
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#836New Post! Nov 15, 2020 @ 06:48:27
silly post. deleted
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#837New Post! Nov 16, 2020 @ 09:10:47
Good news on the Brexit front this morning as Boris Johnson goes into self-isolation and thus is out of the "tunnel" as far as Brexit negotiations are concerned. Possibly the only good news. UK ports are choking up as the end of the Transition Period fast approaches.....stock piling blamed among other things (such as nobody knowing what the hell they are doing or will need to do in just 50 days time) Reassurance is gained by all Leave voters continuing to insist that they "knew what we were voting for".

But back at the negotiations, a prominent UK spokesperson asserted that "we only want what Norway and Canada have". Well, sir, Norway pays into the EEA (European Economic Area) and follows 21% of EU rulings. Canada is far from Europe and their trade with the EU minimal. The UK, insisting on paying nothing and following no EU rules at all, merely asks for what Norway have been given! This is one of our guys in the tunnel ! Bring back Boris, at least he knows he's joking.

As more countries now recognise that - as far as trade is concerned - "bigger is better" ( four more countries joining the China driven Association of Southeast asian Nations ), "Global Britain", "sovereign" and "independent", goes it alone. They all need us more than we need them.........or so we are told.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#838New Post! Nov 16, 2020 @ 18:48:11
@dookie Said

Good news on the Brexit front this morning as Boris Johnson goes into self-isolation and thus is out of the "tunnel" as far as Brexit negotiations are concerned. Possibly the only good news. UK ports are choking up as the end of the Transition Period fast approaches.....stock piling blamed among other things (such as nobody knowing what the hell they are doing or will need to do in just 50 days time) Reassurance is gained by all Leave voters continuing to insist that they "knew what we were voting for".

But back at the negotiations, a prominent UK spokesperson asserted that "we only want what Norway and Canada have". Well, sir, Norway pays into the EEA (European Economic Area) and follows 21% of EU rulings. Canada is far from Europe and their trade with the EU minimal. The UK, insisting on paying nothing and following no EU rules at all, merely asks for what Norway have been given! This is one of our guys in the tunnel ! Bring back Boris, at least he knows he's joking.

As more countries now recognise that - as far as trade is concerned - "bigger is better" ( four more countries joining the China driven Association of Southeast asian Nations ), "Global Britain", "sovereign" and "independent", goes it alone. They all need us more than we need them.........or so we are told.

It seems that only two real unsurmountable difficulties stand in the way of at least a fig leaf deal. Fishing rights and the level playing field.

Both of these are diametrically opposing red line issues for both Britain and the EU.

Firstly, the EU will not allow Britain to enjoy the benefits of the Customs Union and Single Market unless Britain concedes rights for EU vessels to fish in UK waters. For Britain, this is a political matter rather than an economic one. Fishing is an infinitesimally small part of the British economy (although it is extremely important in Cornwall, Humberside and the north east of Scotland). The only reason the UK government will not concede on fishing rights is because it was drummed up as a major emotional issue during the referendum campaign and cannot be extracted from the "It's all abaht yer achural sovrinty, innit..?" Brexiter mindset.

Secondly, the "Level Playing Field". The EU demands a mechanism that will prevent Britain from pumping huge amounts of public money into exports to flood the EU market with cheap good thus undercutting European traders. The British government says it will "Give its word of honour" that we will do no such thing. However, the behaviour of Boris Johnson over breaking the Withdrawal Agreement has destroyed European confidence that the British government will honour any "gentleman's agreement. They want it not only signed and sealed in a legally binding treaty, but they also want a mechanism included that will give the EU financial redress should Britain be caught doing something we shouldn't in the future.

Britain claims that the Level Playing Field binds UK to EU rules and that infringes British sovereignty. The answer to that, in my opinion, is spherical and in the plural.

There was also a (not unreasonable) suspicion by the EU that a trade deal between Tory Britain and Trump's America would include Britain allowing American exports to be channelled through Britain into the Single Market. Trump's demise has lessened that concern, but they're still not convinced that Britain will behave honourably in the future.

With regard to the Level Playing Field, we only need to point to the Act currently passing through Parliament to break the Withdrawal Agreement. Britain's negotiators think that "giving their word" is enough.

Wrong. Very wrong. Trust has evaporated.

This is why a no-deal scenario is the most likely outcome.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#839New Post! Nov 16, 2020 @ 19:43:47
The UK's concept of a Level Playing Field:-

The EU not impressed.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#840New Post! Nov 17, 2020 @ 06:11:36
More like...............

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>