Brexit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...52 53 54 55 56 ...73 74 75 · >>
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#796New Post! Oct 03, 2020 @ 05:44:58
@Jennifer1984 Said

Which leads us to one of only two possible conclusions.

If they didn't know things were in there, and signed a legally binding agreement without reading it through properly and considering all the implications of what they were signing, then they are guilty of gross negligence.

If they DID know it was in there, but are simply trying to flannel their way out of the mess they've created and committing an act of crime against international law in the process, in which case they're not only criminals by virtue of the fact, but they're lying to the British people in the process.

Either way, this government is not fit for office.

And apparently 'the majority' don't care. It may seem callous to say this, but clearly, they don't care about that or it's implications. Since the UK is a democracy, the minority view, for all intents and purposes, does not matter.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#797New Post! Oct 03, 2020 @ 09:19:45
@nooneinparticular Said

And apparently 'the majority' don't care. It may seem callous to say this, but clearly, they don't care about that or it's implications. Since the UK is a democracy, the minority view, for all intents and purposes, does not matter.

I hear what you say but alas the word "democracy" is misplaced in this context. Democracy is an ideal that in my opinion is worth striving for but is in fact unreachable.

The beginning of the Brexit fiasco was the calling of a Referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, Leave or Remain. The Referendum was called by Dave Cameron, then leader of the Tory Party - called in the hope of stopping the haemorrhaging of Tory votes to UKIP (the UK Independence Party) He obviously presumed that the UK would vote to Remain.

The rest is history. Once Leave won, all talk of "soft brexits", mooted in various way during the Campaign, were taken off the table, and the mantra "Leave MEANS Leave" was the soundbite of the day.

The above demonstrates why Referendums are not an integral part of our UK Constitution, which in fact is centered upon the pre-eminence of Parliament. Referendums are "advisory only".

All attempts to uphold a deeper democracy were cast aside by those who now insisted that democracy began and ended on 23/06/2016. To implement the result of the Referendum was the sole criteria of judging. My posts on various Comments Sections were met with derision......" you lost, get over it" perhaps the most eloquent. To argue that democracy involves citizens genuinely seeking to educate themselves, giving deep consideration to all relevant issues, this all on-going and self-generating, were the words of a "poor loser."

Sadly, my view is not that of the minority. Such is the end result of "democracy" being reduced to implementing one Referendum result.

Now just 39% think Brexit is a "good idea". In the last General Election more people voted for Parties offering renegotiation with the EU and/or a second Referendum. But our FPTP electoral system, basically corrupt, gave the Tories an 80 seat majority. So Brexit goes ahead, full steam.

And this must be added, though spoken of before. The facts are so hideous as to need repeating.....

Boris Johnson signed and sealed the Withdrawal Deal. He negotiated it. He then closed down Parliament (the true heart of UK democracy) illegally - declared so by the UK Law Lords - seeking to avoid scrutiny of its terms, then went to the nation selling it as the "Oven Ready Deal" that he would "get out at Christmas" to finalise things, won an 80 seat majority on such a platform, sacked 21 of his own Party for voting against the Deal........ now the man has the temerity to speak of it being "rushed through" and prepares to break International Law, tearing up the very terms he negotiated and sold to the nation.

Do people care? The sad thing is, those still in favour of Brexit seem happy to turn a blind eye. Which history shows is one step towards the destruction of genuine freedom for all.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#798New Post! Oct 03, 2020 @ 09:45:31
I've only just found this or I would have posted it sooner.

Former Labour Leader and Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition holds Johnson to account for his actions over the Withdrawal Agreement.

But....... see how Johnson folds his arms defensively..... rolls his eyes... shakes his head in denial and refuses to accept any responsibility for anything.

This is how we are being governed. It makes me want to weep for our country.

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#799New Post! Oct 03, 2020 @ 10:48:58
@Jennifer1984 Said

I've only just found this or I would have posted it sooner.

Former Labour Leader and Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition holds Johnson to account for his actions over the Withdrawal Agreement.

But....... see how Johnson folds his arms defensively..... rolls his eyes... shakes his head in denial and refuses to accept any responsibility for anything.

This is how we are being governed. It makes me want to weep for our country.

I did post the video of the whole speech somewhere. The highlight was when Ed Milliband, having made several cogent arguments and noticing Boris Johnson shaking his head in disagreement, said:- "I'm willing here to stand aside and allow the Right Honourable (!) gentleman to dispute what I have said" adding..... "I know him as one who loves detail"!! Of course, Boris remained in his seat, eyes down.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#800New Post! Oct 03, 2020 @ 10:57:48
Possibly it will be asked exactly what would have happened had the Referendum result gone the way of Remain.

Well, as a Referendum according to the UK Constitution is "advisory only" then any who still wished to leave the EU would have retained their democratic right to continue advocating that the UK leave the EU. Mr Farage said as much.... "If the result is close that will not be the end of the matter" he said, anticipating defeat.

Again, UKIP would have continued to thrive, the arguments back and forth on-going. Tory eurosceptic MP's would have had the choice to "cross the floor" or whatever. If the Leave option genuinely gained headway by cogent argument, within the on-going democratic process, then possibly one political Party would have put the leaving of the EU in its manifesto. And so on and so on.

Of course, FPTP would have to be addressed.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#801New Post! Oct 05, 2020 @ 05:04:15
How prophetic..... this video clip has surfaced on Facebook.

Rik Mayall, in 2002, making the case for Britain leaving the EU. The Prime Minister is obviously a parody of Tony Blair. The invasion of Iraq is swapped for Cuba.

The sketch came from a British weekly sitcom of the time called "Believe Nothing". Even the title of the bloody programme was an accurate prophecy..!!
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#802New Post! Oct 05, 2020 @ 07:55:33
@Jennifer1984 Said

How prophetic..... this video clip has surfaced on Facebook.

Rik Mayall, in 2002, making the case for Britain leaving the EU. The Prime Minister is obviously a parody of Tony Blair. The invasion of Iraq is swapped for Cuba.

The sketch came from a British weekly sitcom of the time called "Believe Nothing". Even the title of the bloody programme was an accurate prophecy..!!

Much like The Simpsons predicting the Trump Presidency.

Alas, today, nothing wild or "unthinkable" found in any satire programme can be discounted as "things to come".
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#803New Post! Oct 05, 2020 @ 12:08:48
Boris UPDATE:- the latest on Brexit from our PM....."Johnson told the BBC Friday that he hoped for a deal but 'it’s up to our friends [in the EU].'

“They’ve done a deal with Canada — long way away — of a kind that we want, why shouldn’t they do it with us, we’re so near, we’ve been members for 45 years.”

Perhaps someone needs to tell him that given that he has unilaterally torn up the last deal he signed up to with the EU they just might not trust us to keep to the terms of any new deal.

But Boris bungles and blusters on, speaking now of the "great opportunities" (sic) presented by Coronavirus. Having managed the fifth highest death rate in the world and the biggest economic downturn of the developed nations, he now sees further "opportunity"! I presume such will be perhaps by next May when as our economy naturally recovers from the effects of Covid his mate Dominic Cummings can offer the nation, via the Tory Press, the soundbite of "the Brexit bounce"!

While we are here, a mention of the UK's "world beating" Test and Trace system. The latest is that 16,000 positive test results were omitted in error (software blip) so quite a few people will not be traced who made contact with those people. i
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#804New Post! Oct 05, 2020 @ 13:37:18
@dookie Said

Perhaps someone needs to tell him that given that he has unilaterally torn up the last deal he signed up to with __fill in the blank __ they just might not trust us to keep to the terms of any new deal.

Again, taken out of context it applies to both sides of the bad-hair mirror.

Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#805New Post! Oct 05, 2020 @ 14:30:47
@mrmhead Said

Given a second Donald Trump term, perhaps a UK / US Trade Deal will prove quick and easy, with neither side bothered by the terms - which they will discard anyway when found obstructive to their own interests.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#806New Post! Oct 05, 2020 @ 18:31:35
@mrmhead Said

Conservative party faithful have begun to turn on Boris Johnson after several MPs have claimed the COVID crisis has shown that the scatterbrained gaffe-prone dilettante they put in power has not miraculously transformed into a dignified statesman with razor-sharp focus.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, one backbencher said that he was shocked at how ineptly Boris Johnson had handled the complex and multifaceted approaches needed to deal with a modern pandemic.

He went on, “I was an early Boris convert. I wanted to put a bull in a china shop and particularly one that would just throw Latin around and grunt at those pesky journalists and civil servants. But now it turns out that misquoting Ovid and waving your arms around is not the best way to get all government departments to respond in an integrated way to a constantly changing epidemiological situation that profoundly impacts all aspects of society.

“Frankly, I feel betrayed. How was I supposed to know he was such an inept braggart apart from looking at his past actions and listening to him speak?
“Next you’ll tell me that selecting Cabinet members solely on how rabidly they hate Europe is a recipe for disaster as experts try to get decisions out of morons whose only skill is to brainlessly chant Daily Mail headlines during Question Time?”

The growing dissent in the party ranks has echoes of the 2003 ousting of Iain Duncan Smith, where members accused the dull insipid man they elected of being exactly as uninspiring and dreary as he had been during all his political career.

, Hawaii
#807New Post! Oct 09, 2020 @ 01:46:21
@dookie Said

I hear what you say but alas the word "democracy" is misplaced in this context. Democracy is an ideal that in my opinion is worth striving for but is in fact unreachable.

The beginning of the Brexit fiasco was the calling of a Referendum on the UK's membership of the EU, Leave or Remain. The Referendum was called by Dave Cameron, then leader of the Tory Party - called in the hope of stopping the haemorrhaging of Tory votes to UKIP (the UK Independence Party) He obviously presumed that the UK would vote to Remain.

The rest is history. Once Leave won, all talk of "soft brexits", mooted in various way during the Campaign, were taken off the table, and the mantra "Leave MEANS Leave" was the soundbite of the day.

The above demonstrates why Referendums are not an integral part of our UK Constitution, which in fact is centered upon the pre-eminence of Parliament. Referendums are "advisory only".

All attempts to uphold a deeper democracy were cast aside by those who now insisted that democracy began and ended on 23/06/2016. To implement the result of the Referendum was the sole criteria of judging. My posts on various Comments Sections were met with derision......" you lost, get over it" perhaps the most eloquent. To argue that democracy involves citizens genuinely seeking to educate themselves, giving deep consideration to all relevant issues, this all on-going and self-generating, were the words of a "poor loser."

Sadly, my view is not that of the minority. Such is the end result of "democracy" being reduced to implementing one Referendum result.

Now just 39% think Brexit is a "good idea". In the last General Election more people voted for Parties offering renegotiation with the EU and/or a second Referendum. But our FPTP electoral system, basically corrupt, gave the Tories an 80 seat majority. So Brexit goes ahead, full steam.

And this must be added, though spoken of before. The facts are so hideous as to need repeating.....

Boris Johnson signed and sealed the Withdrawal Deal. He negotiated it. He then closed down Parliament (the true heart of UK democracy) illegally - declared so by the UK Law Lords - seeking to avoid scrutiny of its terms, then went to the nation selling it as the "Oven Ready Deal" that he would "get out at Christmas" to finalise things, won an 80 seat majority on such a platform, sacked 21 of his own Party for voting against the Deal........ now the man has the temerity to speak of it being "rushed through" and prepares to break International Law, tearing up the very terms he negotiated and sold to the nation.

Do people care? The sad thing is, those still in favour of Brexit seem happy to turn a blind eye. Which history shows is one step towards the destruction of genuine freedom for all.

When I say 'the majority' and 'the minority' like this, I actually just mean the minority and majority of the people who voted based on the rules of the system. This is why I have always said that just because the 'the majority' voted for one thing does not then mean that it can be taken as 'the will of the people'. It's also why I always found it funny that those for Brexit got all huffy about 'using emotive, apocalyptic language' while at the same time invoking war-time spirit and national exceptionalism.

The sad truth is, however, that whether or not anyone intended for these things to happen while voting, is an academic issue at best. People voted in this pattern twice, quite strongly. Is it 'fair' that FPTP allows for these types of outcomes? Apparently some think it is. Personally, I don't think that question particularly matters at this point. 'The country' has decided, either through fair or unfair means, to make this happen, and that is the only thing that matters. All of the 'stuff' that results from that decision is squarely on the heads of those who support such a move.

, Hawaii
#808New Post! Oct 09, 2020 @ 02:04:35
@Jennifer1984 Said

Conservative party faithful have begun to turn on Boris Johnson after several MPs have claimed the COVID crisis has shown that the scatterbrained gaffe-prone dilettante they put in power has not miraculously transformed into a dignified statesman with razor-sharp focus.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, one backbencher said that he was shocked at how ineptly Boris Johnson had handled the complex and multifaceted approaches needed to deal with a modern pandemic.

He went on, “I was an early Boris convert. I wanted to put a bull in a china shop and particularly one that would just throw Latin around and grunt at those pesky journalists and civil servants. But now it turns out that misquoting Ovid and waving your arms around is not the best way to get all government departments to respond in an integrated way to a constantly changing epidemiological situation that profoundly impacts all aspects of society.

“Frankly, I feel betrayed. How was I supposed to know he was such an inept braggart apart from looking at his past actions and listening to him speak?
“Next you’ll tell me that selecting Cabinet members solely on how rabidly they hate Europe is a recipe for disaster as experts try to get decisions out of morons whose only skill is to brainlessly chant Daily Mail headlines during Question Time?”

The growing dissent in the party ranks has echoes of the 2003 ousting of Iain Duncan Smith, where members accused the dull insipid man they elected of being exactly as uninspiring and dreary as he had been during all his political career.

'How was I supposed to know that the bull I let loose right in front of me would kick me in the face, even though I picked them expressly for the purpose of kicking people in the face?'
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#809New Post! Oct 09, 2020 @ 09:09:38
@nooneinparticular Said

When I say 'the majority' and 'the minority' like this, I actually just mean the minority and majority of the people who voted based on the rules of the system. This is why I have always said that just because the 'the majority' voted for one thing does not then mean that it can be taken as 'the will of the people'. It's also why I always found it funny that those for Brexit got all huffy about 'using emotive, apocalyptic language' while at the same time invoking war-time spirit and national exceptionalism.

The sad truth is, however, that whether or not anyone intended for these things to happen while voting, is an academic issue at best. People voted in this pattern twice, quite strongly. Is it 'fair' that FPTP allows for these types of outcomes? Apparently some think it is. Personally, I don't think that question particularly matters at this point. 'The country' has decided, either through fair or unfair means, to make this happen, and that is the only thing that matters. All of the 'stuff' that results from that decision is squarely on the heads of those who support such a move.

Yes, I get you. There are a lot of "sad truths" about, perhaps one of the saddest is that we get the leaders we deserve. Some might object and claim they never voted for whoever, but in certain ways we all play our part.

"The will of the people is a theatrical fiction" said Umberto Eco. But in today's age of soundbites, where many seem not to care - or look too closely - at the means if the object in view is what they want, then any fiction will do.

When Tory Ministers speak of their policies being "overwhelmingly endorsed" by "the British people" (80 seat majority) are they actually aware of how "deconstruction" actually obliterates their claim? And what is worse? That they DO know but speak on regardless, or do not know?

But as you say, in some ways, all now academic as far as Brexit is concerned. But then again, if democracy is, as I would see it, a self-generating on-going vision/ideal, worth striving for even if unreachable, then even little posts like this can play a part as the future becomes "now".
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#810New Post! Oct 09, 2020 @ 10:56:44
@nooneinparticular Said

'How was I supposed to know that the bull I let loose right in front of me would kick me in the face, even though I picked them expressly for the purpose of kicking people in the face?'

Some of the faithful are hoping that Boris can "get his mojo back." Quite what they mean is difficult to discern. I remember him more with comb and paper, playing a tune to small sycophantic audiences at various Tory Conference fringe meetings. Laughing at the "piccannies with watermelon smiles" in Commonwealth countries as they greeted the Queen, cracking the joke about rebuilding Libya (after RAF bombing) "once we clear away the dead bodies", the Muslim women who "look like letter-boxes", the non-existent EU directives demanding one size condoms and straight bananas. The man with an unspecified number of "love children" condemning the offspring of single mothers, the man sacked twice for lying.

Lo and behold, as PM he seeks now to break International Law to amend a Deal be himself negotiated which he now sees as inadequate for purpose, this with those he calls "our friends and partners across the channel". Well, surprise surprise!

And of course we hear each week or so the rumblings of a "Tory Revolt". The "threat" of such are frequent but come to nothing. Much like Boris himself, threatening to "lay down in front of the bulldozers" to prevent a third Heathrow runway, who then actually fled the country to avoid voting against the Government when the Bill was passed! (Of course, he is now off the hook with that one - Heathrow not even needing one runway at full capacity these days)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...52 53 54 55 56 ...73 74 75 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs