Politics

Brexit

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...69 70 71 72 73 74 75 · >>
ImAManNotAFish On February 13, 2021

San Antonio,
#1051New Post! Feb 13, 2021 @ 20:44:20
As an American, I find it odd that we discuss such things. Two 1 zero.
Are we free of England's control? I think not. three two 5
We've been under the Queen's control and she's putting mind control nanobots in our soft drinks. 2 4 three six
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1052New Post! Feb 13, 2021 @ 21:57:52
@ImAManNotAFish Said

Are we free of England's control?

If you ARE a man, not a fish, I'd hazard a guess that you are indeed free of England's control.

But remember, a lot of fish are happier now.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1053New Post! Feb 15, 2021 @ 08:05:15
The farce, the stupidity, the pure fantasy of Brexit carries on under cover of Covid.

The Reality beyond the Soundbites
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1054New Post! Feb 15, 2021 @ 08:31:15
Excerpt from the article linked in the previous post:-

I can see why Truss, Johnson and Gove hope no one will notice that their hard Brexit has seen the people of Northern Ireland suffer the consequences of a border in the Irish Sea, Amsterdam overtake London as Europe’s largest share-trading centre and businesses drown in paperwork. They lied to the nation and to themselves and don’t want to suffer the consequences. Their spinning and diversionary tactics are to be expected.

For the life of me, however, I do not understand why Labour and those parts of the broadcast media outside the control of the political right play along with the deception and pretend that the world as it is does not exist. It’s as if Britain were a Victorian family keeping up appearances. As if not just a government with every reason to conceal, but the opposition and media are bound by a promise to never wash Britain’s dirty laundry in public – even as its stink becomes overwhelming.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1055New Post! Feb 15, 2021 @ 12:13:56
The UK PM, having overseen virtually the world's worst death rate for Covid-19 and the worst economic recession of any G7 nation, nevertheless "got Brexit done"!

Now, having got it "done" our Government begins the task of undoing it.

LINK

Tragic really.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1056New Post! Feb 16, 2021 @ 08:47:49
And so it goes on.....

Bye Bye
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#1057New Post! Feb 16, 2021 @ 11:46:56
Here comes my swan song...

Brexit is the greatest act of self-harm ever. A small group of little englanders, petty nationalists, have hi-jacked a Referendum that was merely a snap Opinion Poll. Twenty odd years of anti EU propaganda by the popular press had its "reward".

Now, the UK has the greatest economic recession of any G7 nation, ruled by a coterie chosen purely for being Brexit Yes Men/Women, who are also responsible now for the world's worst Covid Death rate.

And Brexit is NOT "Done". Already various groups, including the fishing industry, are demanding re-negotiation as they see the sunlit uplands for what they have always been. Mirage. Again, others are demanding a breaching of the Northern Ireland Protocol to avoid the disaster now fast approaching that unfortunate province.

Various "trade deals" around the world are being touted by "Global Britain", none of which have any genuine substance. While a market of over half a billion people on the UK's doorstep has been trashed in the name of "sovereignty". Just think how a true Deal with such a market, free of all tariffs, quotas and paperwork/documentaion would unleash what potential the UK has! Instead, pathetic "gains" of cheese from Japan etc etc are offered, again touted as victories!

The man from Bunyip Bend (or Stockport or Bradford) can offer his tripe.

I will not be here any longer to read it.

To be honest, this Forum might as well be renamed as The American Politics Forum. There seems little or no interest in anything else.

All the best to you all.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1058New Post! Feb 16, 2021 @ 17:11:58
Actually, I like to read about American politics. I don't contribute much because I don't feel on very secure ground with what I want to say and in any case, it's not my business as an overseas reader to interfere. But I do have an opinion and when it affects the affairs of my own country. Then I feel I have the right to comment.

When it comes to Brexit, I'm almost in complete agreement with Dookie. We differ on some minor issues but in the main we both see it for what it is. An utterly dreadful.... dreadful... miscarriage of democracy and a crime perpetrated on the majority of British people, by a few fanatics who managed to gain enough influence by nefarious and ILLEGAL means to manipulate a vote in their favour.

USA has been through a period of political turbulence. Britain is going through one now and will be for many years to come, until the day we see sense and return to the European fold. When that will be I cannot say. A minimum of ten years... and that's a conservative estimate.... but it will happen.

On the day it does I'll fill a glass and make a silent toast to Dookie who may not be around to see it. He and all the others who kept the faith and believed. And never gave up.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1059New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 14:17:07
@mrmhead Said

Maybe Britain can ask China to extend their New Silk Road up to the Isles!

Unlike the EU who are seemingly very happy to cozy up to the CCP the UK have adopted a very different approach to Beijing.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1060New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 14:39:01
Ahh how remainers bleated that if Brexit were to happen the UK would see a mass exodus of companies leaving as the City of London's status as one of the world's leading financial capitals came to an end. Just to be different his hasn't happened. According to a recently published FOI request nearly 1,500 EU-based financial services firms have applied for permission to operate in the UK, with around 1,000 of those planning to establish their FIRST UK office.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1061New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 14:41:38
In addition tot he above more than 100 retail and wholesale banks plan to move to or boost their presence in the UK, as well as over 400 insurance and insurer intermediary firms.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1062New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 14:48:32
Now recently Amsterdam has overtaken the City of London as Europe’s largest share trading centre. The reason why is pretty simple. The UK recognise (offer equivalence to) the EU's financial sector but the EU haven't reciprocated. Even though the UK currently has the exact same rules etc as the EU.

The EU havent offered regulatory equivalence to the UK as it wants the Brits to accept to always be bound by all EU rules and regulations relating to the financial sector. Why? So they can control the UK's economy and try and stymie it.

Switzerland also knows only too well how intransigent and bullying the EU can be. Indeed the past couple of months have really exposed the EU for what it is, an undemocratic, bureaucratic driven protectionist racket.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1063New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 14:50:09
As an aside France has just posted a trading deficit that is believed to be the biggest ever recorded by an EU country.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1064New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 15:11:41
Interesting how the EU completely stuff up their vaccination procurement program and then tell the people of the EU that their slow roll out is exactly what they wanted and planned for all along! How stupid do they think people are. Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission Chief, even went so far as to accuse the UK of compromising on “safety and efficacy” safeguards in delivering its vaccines. At the same time Clément Beaune, France’s Europe Minister, claimed that “the British are taking many risks in this vaccination campaign.” Hmm, taking risks by using vaccines approved by the EU's own medical body.

During this time we also had France and Germany attacking the effectiveness of the AstraZeneca vaccine, esp for those 65 and over. I wonder how they, and people like Ursula von der Leyen are feeling right now with recently published research based on a study conducted in Alba, where 1.14 million people were vaccinated between December 8 and February 15. This study showed that both the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines led to a “very substantial” drop in serious illness across ALL adult age groups. Furthermore, researchers found that by the fourth week after receiving an initial dose of each vaccine, the risk of hospitalisation from Covid-19 reduced by up to 85 per cent (Pfizer) and 94 per cent (AstraZeneca).

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1065New Post! Feb 24, 2021 @ 15:25:28
Bearing in mind the above study the latest vaccination rates (per 100 people) for Covid-19 are as follows:

UK
Alba: 27.61
Cymru: 29.16
NI: 26.36
England: 27.77

EU
France: 5.66
Germany: 6.41
Spain: 6.77
Italy: 5.12
Netherlands: 4.88
Belgium: 5.94