The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Brexit Will Soon Have Cost More Than 47 Years Contributions To The EU Put Together

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 09:22:14
More on the powerlessness of Boris Johnson:-

Oct 2019:- "Under no circumstances, whatever happens, will I allow the EU or anyone else to create any kind of division down the Irish Sea" (Boris Johnson)

July 7th 2020:- via BBC NI, "The UK has submitted applications to the EU to create Border Control Posts at Northern Ireland Ports."

And basically, these days, who cares about broken promises? If you don't actually live in NI, the Good Friday Agreement - which has bought a degree of peace to the region and is now threatened - is of no consequence. Why give it a moments thought?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 15:37:06
@dookie Said

More on the powerlessness of Boris Johnson:-

Oct 2019:- "Under no circumstances, whatever happens, will I allow the EU or anyone else to create any kind of division down the Irish Sea" (Boris Johnson)

July 7th 2020:- via BBC NI, "The UK has submitted applications to the EU to create Border Control Posts at Northern Ireland Ports."

And basically, these days, who cares about broken promises? If you don't actually live in NI, the Good Friday Agreement - which has bought a degree of peace to the region and is now threatened - is of no consequence. Why give it a moments thought?

The Northern Ireland agreement means a lot in the US Congress.

Bonnie Greer made this point quite eloquently on Question Time last Autumn. She made it quite clear that the British government would not get any sort of trade deal with the United States if the Good Friday Agreement was compromised.

We all know that Johnson doesn't give a tuppenny damn about the United Kingdom. Like all the other Little Englanders, he only sees Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland as English territorial possessions, not constituent parts of the UK 'whole'. For that reason, in his mind, their interests are subordinate to English interests, and English interests mean Brexit. Nothing else.

But he sure as hell needs that trade deal with USA. His Brexit strategy (if it can be called that) depends entirely on it. I think I wouldn't be a million miles wide of the mark if I suggested that it is highly likely a lot of the financial backing for his political campaigns - including leaving the EU - originated from US based corporations, particularly in Big Pharma and Medical Insurance. And they will want their pay off. He owes them and he owes them big.

There is an almighty rush on to get a deal through before November. He will now be aware that if Trump is not re-elected, Britain will drop down the list of American priorities, as Obama warned before he left office in his "Britain will go to the back of the queue" comment.

So...... a deal must happen - and soon - and not only that, he now has the added complication of the revived public awareness of the value of the NHS after the Coronavirus pandemic. It's just one more headache on top of many others. Big Pharma and Medi Insurance won't give a damn about that, but the political consequences for him, of selling the NHS, could be cataclysmic for the Tory Party.

And so the Good Friday agreement must survive. And that means having a customs border down the Irish Sea. And that's the very minimum he has to deal with. But that alone won't guarantee his survival. There are a lot of variables and uncertainties at this time which we cannot predict the outcome of.

Watch this space. It might just get very interesting.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 16:21:10
@Jennifer1984 Said

The Northern Ireland agreement means a lot in the US Congress.

Bonnie Greer made this point quite eloquently on Question Time last Autumn. She made it quite clear that the British government would not get any sort of trade deal with the United States if the Good Friday Agreement was compromised.

We all know that Johnson doesn't give a tuppenny damn about the United Kingdom. Like all the other Little Englanders, he only sees Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland as English territorial possessions, not constituent parts of the UK 'whole'. For that reason, in his mind, their interests are subordinate to English interests, and English interests mean Brexit. Nothing else.

But he sure as hell needs that trade deal with USA. His Brexit strategy (if it can be called that) depends entirely on it. I think I wouldn't be a million miles wide of the mark if I suggested that it is highly likely a lot of the financial backing for his political campaigns - including leaving the EU - originated from US based corporations, particularly in Big Pharma and Medical Insurance. And they will want their pay off. He owes them and he owes them big.

There is an almighty rush on to get a deal through before November. He will now be aware that if Trump is not re-elected, Britain will drop down the list of American priorities, as Obama warned before he left office in his "Britain will go to the back of the queue" comment.

So...... a deal must happen - and soon - and not only that, he now has the added complication of the revived public awareness of the value of the NHS after the Coronavirus pandemic. It's just one more headache on top of many others. Big Pharma and Medi Insurance won't give a damn about that, but the political consequences for him, of selling the NHS, could be cataclysmic for the Tory Party.

And so the Good Friday agreement must survive. And that means having a customs border down the Irish Sea. And that's the very minimum he has to deal with. But that alone won't guarantee his survival. There are a lot of variables and uncertainties at this time which we cannot predict the outcome of.

Watch this space. It might just get very interesting.

Latest "space" to watch:- many of the large UK Supermarkets pledging never to stock US meat, as not complying with current UK/EU hygiene standards. The truth of this revolves around the Factory Farming techniques still prevalent in the USA rather than actual food safety. The problem appears to be that US meat could well, without tariffs, prove cheaper than UK produced - this simply because such factory farming methods have slowly been eliminated in the UK because of public concern for animal welfare. Would this eventually lead to a reverse in the UK's move toward greater commitment towards more humane treatment of animals?

The "chlorinated" mantra is largely a red herring in this context.

Me, yes I do like buying, for instance, organic eggs. Chickens roam free. They do not exist in cages, virtually unable to move, never knowing natural daylight.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 20:44:05
@dookie Said

Latest "space" to watch:- many of the large UK Supermarkets pledging never to stock US meat, as not complying with current UK/EU hygiene standards. The truth of this revolves around the Factory Farming techniques still prevalent in the USA rather than actual food safety. The problem appears to be that US meat could well, without tariffs, prove cheaper than UK produced - this simply because such factory farming methods have slowly been eliminated in the UK because of public concern for animal welfare. Would this eventually lead to a reverse in the UK's move toward greater commitment towards more humane treatment of animals?

The "chlorinated" mantra is largely a red herring in this context.

Me, yes I do like buying, for instance, organic eggs. Chickens roam free. They do not exist in cages, virtually unable to move, never knowing natural daylight.

This has long been a bone of contention for the entire Green movement (Green Party member here). We (that is, my family and I) too enjoy organically grown and produced food as much as possible. We are fortunate that we live in a county where good, fresh, farm produced food is available. The rest of Britain is not so fortunate in that regard.

We have been told that the change of regulations that are being proposed will not only denigrate food standards in UK in order to allow cheap, sub-standard foods from the US and other places to flood our markets, but that it will not be a requirement for any product to display its country of origin. The motive behind this is clear. It's to prevent food recognised as coming from these places being boycotted either as a political act, or simply out of not wanting to put it in front of your children.

The Chlorinated issue is much deeper than the fact that chlorine is used at all, but that's another discussion.

I - and others in the UK Green movement - are lobbying food producers, primarily in UK to prominently label their products as being produced here with labels that will state they are produced to EU standards. We are also making contacts with Brussels, and government food production departments inside the EU 27 to label products that they produce for sale in the British market, with the Circle of Stars emblem to denote that they have been produced to EU standards.

If we can't stop the Americans from sending us their products in a manner that disguises their country of origin, we can at least make sure that products we know we cans trust ARE labelled.

We will then have the option of only buying those products we see as being of EU origin, or from another trusted source.

This may well increase the shopping bill of many families, but it will at least give those who can afford it the choice of making sure they put decent food in front of their families.

Taking this one step further, we can then highlight the plight of those who, because of poverty, are forced to feed their families with food that would not have been legal in this country before Brexit.

This last part is somewhat distasteful to me as it may appear to be exploiting poor people for political campaigning, but if I were living in poverty and having to live off a food bank, I'd WANT my plight to be highlighted.

We might not be able to stop this low-quality (in my opinion, inedible) food from coming here, but we can use the effect it has on the national diet as a stick to beat this appalling government with.
dihctatr On November 06, 2020

Upland, California
#35New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 03:25:38
from days of babylon
you the makeitupasyougoalong team\

trump hate puppies!!!
boris hates elderly!!!
republicans all be murderers!! even your grandma who feeds goodies to the black naborkids!!!

u unable to see the utter stupidity of your lies\u mental to the nth degree\
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#36New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 04:22:51
@dihctatr Said

trump hate puppies!!!

LIAR!

Donny Small Hands Loves Puppies!
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#37New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 07:02:33
@dihctatr Said

from days of babylon
you the makeitupasyougoalong team\

With Mr Trump and Boris Johnson, truth is far superior to fiction. No need to make anything up. They destroy their credibility every time they open their mouths. At least for those with some respect for decency and truth.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Jul 13, 2020 @ 19:32:17
Just reading in the British press about all the new border check posts being built along the UK coast, mainly Kent. The extra paperwork, irrespective of any deal with the EU. And some estimates of the cost puts it higher than our contribution to the EU Budget. And the paperwork and wage costs are obviously ongoing. This is madness.

I've posted this in my Facebook page:-

What on earth is the point of all this? It seems that only soundbites are left in seeking to justify the extra work. The "Brussels Bureaucrats" were a constant source of Brexiteer contempt, now our very own army has been created. "Ah, but they are OURS! And pen pushers, not bureaucrats!" All the undoubtable benefits of frictionless trade are lost. As EU members, if the UK produced the best, at the cheapest price, no tariffs or quotas could prevent sales to a vast market of over half a billion people. What more incentive was needed to "unleash our potential"? This is madness.

Upland, California
#39New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 00:06:16
https://yourdictatorshe.blogspot.com/
lol U BELEV ANYONE FALLS FOR YOU OBVIOUS LIES!!!
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 07:52:24
@dihctatr Said

https://yourdictatorshe.blogspot.com/
lol U BELEV ANYONE FALLS FOR YOU OBVIOUS LIES!!!

Hey! I have a blog too......... Dookies Blog

It has the added advantage of being written in English
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#41New Post! Jul 14, 2020 @ 19:23:11
And the madness continues. The annual on-going cost to the UK of various Customs Declarations/Forms etc IRRESPECTIVE OF ANY DEAL WITH THE EU is now estimated as £6.5 Billion. As per the BBC. (The UK's net contribution to the EU last year was £7.1 Billion)

Note:- one of the big selling points of the Leave Campaign was the slogan on the big red bus that drove Boris Johnson around. That the UK sends £350,000,000 each week to the EU, which could be better spent on our NHS. A blatant lie.

No doubt the dictation (or whatever) guy here will now post more infantile and virtually indecipherable drivel. Can it mate, I just might get angry.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Jul 16, 2020 @ 09:52:26
@dookie Said

And the madness continues. The annual on-going cost to the UK of various Customs Declarations/Forms etc IRRESPECTIVE OF ANY DEAL WITH THE EU is now estimated as £6.5 Billion. As per the BBC. (The UK's net contribution to the EU last year was £7.1 Billion)

Note:- one of the big selling points of the Leave Campaign was the slogan on the big red bus that drove Boris Johnson around. That the UK sends £350,000,000 each week to the EU, which could be better spent on our NHS. A blatant lie.

No doubt the dictation (or whatever) guy here will now post more infantile and virtually indecipherable drivel. Can it mate, I just might get angry.

I've had difficulty reading anything he has to say too. I ignore it and put it down to him possibly not having English as his first language, which may be due to being a migrant and he's still learning the language. It's possible.

But you're quite right about the latest addition to the rising cost of Brexit. I did get a bit exasperated once though when one person on another forum said "No matter what the cost of Brexit, it's the right thing to do even if it costs more than we save."

I linked back to one of her old posts where she said that we had to leave the EU because the country could no longer afford to stay in and our economic future was entirely dependent on going it alone. Staying in would be disastrous and to continue wasting money is simply not an option." She didn't thank me for posting that.

But there is the nub of the problem. Whatever happens, the narrative is changed to fit the situation. I think this should be given a medical term, because a sickness is what it is.

I propose calling it: "Johnson/Cummings Impairment Syndrome"
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#43New Post! Jul 16, 2020 @ 10:18:18
@Jennifer1984 Said

Whatever happens, the narrative is changed to fit the situation.

Yes, that is exactly right. In many ways.

During the Referendum Campaign itself a Deal (and by implication a "soft Brexit" ) was presumed. Once the unexpected Leave result was in the mantra changed. "Leave MEANS Leave" became the cry.

My experience on various Tabloid Comments sections as well as the BBC comments tells the story of changing moods and expectations, evolving justifications. At the very beginning, the dawn of economic prosperity! Then the acknowledgement of the initial cost, followed only THEN by greater prosperity. Then simply the claim that the benefits of "sovereignty" and "taking back control" were in themselves worth all the cost and sacrifice.

To ask exactly WHAT laws are objected to, or which new laws we should now - in our freedom - bring in, meets with blank bewilderment. To point out the virtually complete control the UK ALREADY had of its borders, I have never personally had any response to.

The manifold benefits of membership of the EU are unacknowledged. The promises from being in La La Land still entice, though remain vague and largely unspecified.

Alas, our fishermen will in all probability be the first to recognise that they have been "had", then gradually those who voted Leave because they felt "left behind" will fall further behind. One thing that any Leave voter will never acknowledge will be their hive of prejudices against foreigners, or their "little englander" mentality that quite frankly sickens me.

Upland, California
#44New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 04:22:02
my dictatorship costs u everything you aquired
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs