The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Brexit Will Soon Have Cost More Than 47 Years Contributions To The EU Put Together

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jun 29, 2020 @ 15:23:05
@Krimmler Said

Farage showed what is possible, he inspired the people of Britain to say no to the EU dictators and take back control.

Don't forget, the EU are also "bullies".

Krimmler On July 05, 2020

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jun 29, 2020 @ 15:31:08
@dookie Said

Don't forget, the EU are also "bullies".

wot, is funny about that, I mean they are.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jun 29, 2020 @ 15:51:11
@Krimmler Said

wot, is funny about that, I mean they are.

Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jun 30, 2020 @ 05:46:50
@Krimmler Said

Farage showed what is possible, he inspired the people of Britain to say no to the EU dictators and take back control.

Farage is also a failed politician who has stood for Parliament no less than seven times and has not been elected once.

He's a hustler who - by sheer coincidence (not) - has made a nice packet of cash for himself out of Brexit.

On the night of the referendum result, and having seen the Survation Exit Poll findings, he went on TV and made a comment that seemed to have no relevance at all to the discussion being had at the time. He said "Well, Norway has a good relationship with the EU".

In hindsight, this was clearly a hint to any of his stockbroker and hedge fund mates who might be watching that the result was going to go Leave's way. There was a sudden spike recorded on hedge fund activity on global markets that were open at that hour, which resulted in big profits being made. Some of that activity was highly profitable to a certain stockbroker and hedge fund manager by profession, Mr N Farage.

Of course, he didn't personally get his hands dirty and nobody could prove anything. But I'd bet he didn't give the money he made to charity.

Nigel Farage did nothing for altruistic or (laughing my arse off) 'patriotic' reasons.
Krimmler On July 05, 2020

, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jun 30, 2020 @ 11:39:37
Yeah well that is your opinion and not shared by the rest of the UK.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jun 30, 2020 @ 13:29:27
@Krimmler Said

Yeah well that is your opinion and not shared by the rest of the UK.

Hi, as just one of those who you call "the rest of the UK", I'll offer a few words.

The Hedge Fund friends of Mr Farage have undoubtedly made millions from the ups and downs of sterling since all things Brexit began. Apparently he was "skint" according to his own words when living in a £4m townhouse in Chelsea, was receiving his £75,000 salary as a Euro MP and was in receipt of £600,000 from a close friend and associate. Yes, a true "man of the people" who loves to down a pint when on camera before hopping off to the nearest five star restaurant for champers and oysters.

On record as saying that should Brexit be an economic disaster he would leave the UK to live abroad. Obviously such will not be an option for most who were taken in by his rhetoric.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Jul 01, 2020 @ 20:55:14
@dookie Said

Hi, as just one of those who you call "the rest of the UK", I'll offer a few words.

The Hedge Fund friends of Mr Farage have undoubtedly made millions from the ups and downs of sterling since all things Brexit began. Apparently he was "skint" according to his own words when living in a £4m townhouse in Chelsea, was receiving his £75,000 salary as a Euro MP and was in receipt of £600,000 from a close friend and associate. Yes, a true "man of the people" who loves to down a pint when on camera before hopping off to the nearest five star restaurant for champers and oysters.

On record as saying that should Brexit be an economic disaster he would leave the UK to live abroad. Obviously such will not be an option for most who were taken in by his rhetoric.

There is also the little matter of the pension he was entitled to despite having the worst attendance record in Brussels of any MEP from any country.

Farage Could Receive A Six Figure Payoff From The EU

He was quoted as being eligible for a lump sum payout of £152'000 plus £7606 for every year served as an MEP.

He's not going to starve.

He did later - when put under pressure on the issue - hint that he wouldn't accept the money after all, but that appears not to have happened now. Please link to any definitive article in which the EU confirm he has not accepted the money.

I wonder if he'll give it all to the NHS. They could put that on the side of a bus.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jul 01, 2020 @ 21:16:55
@Jennifer1984 Said

There is also the little matter of the pension he was entitled to despite having the worst attendance record in Brussels of any MEP from any country.

Farage Could Receive A Six Figure Payoff From The EU

He was quoted as being eligible for a lump sum payout of £152'000 plus £7606 for every year served as an MEP.

He's not going to starve.

He did later - when put under pressure on the issue - hint that he wouldn't accept the money after all, but that appears not to have happened now. Please link to any definitive article in which the EU confirm he has not accepted the money.

I wonder if he'll give it all to the NHS. They could put that on the side of a bus.

What I find poor is the attempt by Mr Farage to project himself as "anti-establishment", where he speaks of MP's as "having their noses in the trough" and suchlike. It was in such a context that he spoke of being "skint".
chaski On about 17 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#24New Post! Jul 01, 2020 @ 23:37:45
"Brexit Will Soon Have Cost More Than 47 Years Contributions To The EU Put Together"

So, Brexit is a Pyrrhic victory for those who wanted it.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Jul 02, 2020 @ 15:59:26
There is probably little point in this but I have just peeped once more at just one UK Tabloid Comments Section and pure dismay fills me. The cries of "EU Bullies" and "EU dictators" fills the air, followed by "we will soon be free again" a "sovereign nation", able to "take back control" (this of our borders and our laws)

I fully understand the concept of there being different points of view. But here are mine, and I am well aware those living in the USA have their own problems!

Such talk as "dictators" and "bullies" misses the fact that the UK was an integral part of the EU, with a strong voice in its decision making process. Further, the UK had effective powers of veto against decisions made collectively that we were not in favour of.

As far as control of our borders, it does seem to me that our "immigrant problem" is confused by actually conflating two very separate issues, each having vastly different histories. i.e. Immigration from Commonwealth countries and immigration from the EU.

As far as the former is concerned, the UK has had, does have, and will have, total control (it has made a mess of it but that is outside the scope of this post) As for EU immigration, yes, we are obliged to allow those from other EU countries to enter the UK. But an explicit EU directive allows us to refuse entry to those considered threats to "social order/policy". Again, the UK is allowed to deport EU citizens, over 4000 being deported in the last years figures known to me. (Once again, many appear to confuse this with our inability to deport certain people because of verdicts by the European Court of Human Rights, an organisation actually totally separate from the EU.) Another issue is that UK citizens will now lose their current freedom to move across European borders, mainly an issue to the young who are predominately in favour of retaining membership of the EU.

Statistics appear to support the view that our EU nationals are here to work. They make a net contribution to the Exchequer. Thus to claim that they have "overloaded the social care sector" and created a housing shortage, is misguided. Such problems should, in my view, be recognised as the responsibility of successive UK Governments. Again, the claim made by some that they are here to jump onto the UK Benefits System is, to my eyes, bigoted and ignorant.

As far as our laws are concerned, virtually all the laws passed by the EU applicable to the UK over the years are being converted (with little scrutiny as far as I can determine) into full UK law. The vast majority refer to subjects such as lift safety and hygiene standards (not the shape of bananas or the size of condoms, despite the claims made by our current PM when he was a mere newspaper hack, this prior to his being sacked twice for lying*)

As I see it, Brexit is an act of self-harm, driven in part by a largely anti-EU Press. What began as an attempt by the Tory Party to heal a generation long rift between its Pro-europeans and the Eurosceptics, and stop the haemorrhaging of votes to UKIP (UK Independence Party) has now led to divisions throughout the entire UK, and possibly its breakup. 50% of our entire trade, with our closest neighbours, now frictionless, is being jeopardised for hoped for rich pickings elsewhere. Will the UK, as a small independent nation, actually be able to secure better deals than as part of a 28 nation strong Trading Block?

One arch-brexiteer, Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg, is able to take the long view. He has spoken of only knowing the consequences of Brexit, good or bad, in 50 years or so. Meanwhile his various Investment Companies, having moved to Dublin to remain within the EU orbit, continue to make rich pickings. As do the Hedge Fund friends of "man of the people" Mr Nigel Farage. Meanwhile, the new EU Tax Avoidance Directives now being proposed will themselves be avoided by many in the UK who supported Brexit.

Do I sound bitter? More discouraged, even feeling alienated in my own country. Am I one-sided? Undoubtedly. Who knows the future? Some of my best friends voted Leave.We remain friends. Anyway, at 71 and financially secure I can afford to smile.

*Boris actually waved a frozen kipper in the air during the Election Campaign, this once more to deride the EU. It transpired that the law he was seeking to ridicule was in fact of UK origin. But no matter, 34% of the Electorate were undeterred and gave him his "landslide" victory!
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jul 11, 2020 @ 21:14:50
All of the things you mention above were made known to the voting public before the referendum. There was no shortage of genuine, sincere and truthful advice about the consequences of leaving the EU.

These warnings were blithely pooh-pooh'd by Vote Leave under a catchphrase which we all know too well now. They called it "Project Fear", spreading the lie that all warnings about leaving the EU were scaremongering tactics intended to frighten people into voting remain. This lie was then usually followed up with the standard bluster of "But we are British and we fear nobody. We can't be scared into surrendering......" and so on.

The simple truth is that a lot of people were seduced by a variety of tactics... mostly the ones you mention above, but also other spurious seductions, such as promises of a bonanza of riches beyond the wildest dreams of avarice for everybody.

And all of this underlined by tub-thumping bluster of how the British are the greatest people in the world. The whole world will flock to our door, eager to sign up to anything we demand. We would call all the shots. We would dictate all the terms. Why? Because we're British and the world needs us more than we need them.

And people actually believed this. They really did. Many still do.

We have been duped by the biggest lie ever perpetrated on our nation. And all for a blue passport.

Which we could have had anyway.

Anytime.

With or without the blessing of Brussels.

That too, was part of the lie.
dihctatr On November 06, 2020

Upland, California
#27New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 03:00:35
change forum nam to whineworld\waaa my chosen leaders failed me\
waaa republicans said a thing\
waaa trump still in whitehouse\
waaa we keep saying republicans not in power while they slap our face daily\
waaa our saviors got smushed like ants\

waaa men in black on the way to charge a price
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 07:02:26
@dihctatr Said

waaa my chosen leaders failed me

waaa men in black on the way to charge a price

Who chose our current UK "leader"? A very small number of Tory Party members elected Boris Johnson as leader of their Party. He was then chosen as "leader" of the UK by 34% of the total electorate, most apparently lured by the soundbites of "Get Brexit Done" and "Oven Ready Deal".

As far as "men in black" are concerned, it always seems to be men in black who cause trouble in our world. Perhaps ban black suits?
dihctatr On November 06, 2020

Upland, California
#29New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 07:28:47
boris was in a powerless position like all U.S. presidents\
he bannned you according to my will so he long gone hom w his new puppy\
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Jul 12, 2020 @ 08:01:54
@dihctatr Said

boris was in a powerless position like all U.S. presidents\
he bannned you according to my will so he long gone hom w his new puppy\

Well, he has a cat, Larry, at Number 10. We always look out for him when Boris pontificates from the rostrum outside. Larry is often to be seen sitting on the doorstep.

Alas the situation gets serious at times. Care homes in the UK were virtually forgotten for the first few weeks of the pandemic. Now Boris speaks of "a protective shield" being thrown around them "from day one". Again, elderly patients were released from hospitals directly into Care Homes without any testing for Coronavirus. Now Boris claims the terrible death rate in those homes was "staff not following procedures." Sometimes, perhaps, the laughing has to stop.

I acknowledge the pure absurdity of Boris Johnson. Powerless? Yes, he makes himself so.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs