Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#16New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 22:40:32
@jismo Said

Honey, some things just aren't that easy in life. Like the song goes, "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life"

I promise that I'm not totally naive; I have dealt with my own share of bulls***. I guess I just can't picture how I would deal with this one. What does one find to get them through it? How do you adapt when you're used to being the full-time parent? What's the transition like? How long until you're used it? How much do you miss your kids when they're not there half of the days?

It's just not the same as their natural progression away from you as they grow up, or as spending a couple of days away from them for your "me" time. It's not comparable, and I'm wondering what it's like to adapt to that.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#17New Post! Mar 19, 2011 @ 22:56:54
Do these questions make any sense? Or have the people who have done mostly just winged it through without really thinking about the "how" of the winging?
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Mar 20, 2011 @ 00:58:57
I think you just get used to it. You just deal with it the best way you can, because you can't not . Same as any other big changes in life. I mean, it would hurt, but you'd know it was better than the alternative, right? That is what would get you through it.

...unless it was one of those situations where child custody is basically a way to get at each other

But, I suspect if you were the full time parent to begin with (you had the main responsibilities) then you would continue to be so.

Also, if you were single, trying to raise a kid without backup, having them be able to go to their other parents for a day or two might be nice - give you 'me' time. And the thing is, you might still share responsibilities in a similar way, or in a way where you both get to see them most days
monkey On July 08, 2022

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:32:33
When my parents got divorced, it f***'d me up!

That is all I am going to say here!
Jupiter90 On May 06, 2011

Lapeer, Michigan
#20New Post! May 06, 2011 @ 03:35:13
My ex and I broke up a couple months after I found out I was pregnant.

Honestly, the only part that terrifies me is losing time with my child.

I grew up in a home where my parents did NOT get along and it was hell. There was always fighting and I couldn't stand seeing my mom live so miserably for the "sake of the child"

I still wish she would leave him tbh.

As much as I wish I could force things to work with Zac, I just don't see it happening. Even when we have to be around each other for an hour or so for appointments, there's so much tension. Like him hitting on a girl in our birthing class last week and every little thing has to be a fight.

But I know Zac will love his son and be a great father so it gives me peace at night. I'm not going to be one of those spiteful mothers that tries to keep the kid away from his dad over bitter issues between the two of us. It breaks my heart when I see that crap.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#21New Post! May 06, 2011 @ 04:53:21
@vekta Said

The most important question is what is best for the child/children?

If two unhappy parents stay together because of the children the negativity between the two parents can actually be worse for the child than if they were to split up. It's very situational and largely depends on the two parents ability to control there resentment towards one another. That's only one scenario.

This is one of the reasons I got divorced. Apart from the fact that my relationship with my ex had become horribly disfunctional for several reasons, I didn't want our son to grow up in an environment in which he learned that it was "normal" for adults who are married to fight every day.
PerlaDelMar On June 02, 2014

New York, New York
#22New Post! Jan 26, 2012 @ 16:29:02
@chisa96 Said

How do people do this? (I'm talking about the couples in which both are committed to their children.) Don't get me wrong, it's not something that I want to do myself, but I find myself wondering how one even works that out. Even if I did want to break up, I just can't get past the idea of only getting to be a part time parent, of only seeing your child on certain days. The very concept is heartbreaking, and it's not as though you can deny the child sufficient time with their other parent...

I get that sometimes it has to be done, but how do people get used to only getting to be part time parents?

What is equally worse is when the parent leaves the household and never returns to visit the child(ren). Most often, the custodial parent gets blamed just as an excuse for irresponsibility.
fantasticpants On August 26, 2016

Dublin, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jan 26, 2012 @ 16:57:32
I think it's far healthier to have two separated and happy parents than two together and unhappy, stressed parents.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#24New Post! Jan 26, 2012 @ 16:59:57
@chisa96 Said

I do get that too, but gawd... giving up seeing your babies every day.

I think that if I were with someone that I had to break up with I'd hope that he was just a crappy parent to boot so that I could be selfish and keep them all the time.

This was my situation , believe me It's harder on the kids if the other parent basically divorces / splits up with them when he/she divorces/ splits up with you.
It is better for the 'good' parent because they don't have the worry of ' is he feeding them, is his place warm enough etc... ' but the kids feel abandon by the absent parent and that has to be dealt with.
PerlaDelMar On June 02, 2014

New York, New York
#25New Post! Jan 27, 2012 @ 05:47:15
@white_swan53 Said

This was my situation , believe me It's harder on the kids if the other parent basically divorces / splits up with them when he/she divorces/ splits up with you.
It is better for the 'good' parent because they don't have the worry of ' is he feeding them, is his place warm enough etc... ' but the kids feel abandon by the absent parent and that has to be dealt with.

My children are 9 years apart, both from different relationships. If one father would come through to pick up his son, the other one at home with me would get jealous and sad. It was heartbreaking to see this going on. One thing I can say is that it hardly went on because the visits were few and far in between for both of my kids.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#26New Post! Jan 27, 2012 @ 05:55:34
@PerlaDelMar Said

My children are 9 years apart, both from different relationships. If one father would come through to pick up his son, the other one at home with me would get jealous and sad. It was heartbreaking to see this going on. One thing I can say is that it hardly went on because the visits were few and far in between for both of my kids.

My three were very close in age , the oldest was 3 when the youngest was born . all from the same marriage. They didn't have any issues of jealousy, because he treated all of them the same as if they never existed . it was a whole different story after he quit drinking , but he almost waited to long , the two boys had just about replaced his a** , one with a 'big brother ' from the big brothers and sisters deal , and the other other one had about adopted himself into a friend's family , on a weekend and camping trip type schedule . their daddy had his work cut out to win his sons back . That was a very long time ago . The youngest will be 34 this year .
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#27New Post! Apr 24, 2012 @ 05:25:36
@chisa96 Said

How do people do this? (I'm talking about the couples in which both are committed to their children.) Don't get me wrong, it's not something that I want to do myself, but I find myself wondering how one even works that out. Even if I did want to break up, I just can't get past the idea of only getting to be a part time parent, of only seeing your child on certain days. The very concept is heartbreaking, and it's not as though you can deny the child sufficient time with their other parent...

I get that sometimes it has to be done, but how do people get used to only getting to be part time parents?

Well breaking up doesn't really equate to part time parents. And if it does, then there was no full time to begin with. Just because two parents are present in the home doesn't mean that either of them are full time to the child.
ShadowFast On February 07, 2014

Olympia, Washington
#28New Post! Apr 24, 2012 @ 06:18:34
I think that... for the parents that truly care...that find themselves in the situation of separation....

... I imagine that they do not go near those feelings unless they have to. I know that I would look at every justifying reason for why it has to be this way before looking at how much it would hurt/suck to not see my child/children as much as I did.

I have none right now... but I can imagine.

I also feel that... females do have a harder time with such situations. Not to say that males do not... but I think that society is formatted in a way that makes it harder for a male to truly express their pain of child separation.

Nothing is concrete... but I am speaking from a generic aspect.

Anomalies everywhere of course.

@chisa96 Said

I promise that I'm not totally naive; I have dealt with my own share of bulls***. I guess I just can't picture how I would deal with this one. What does one find to get them through it? How do you adapt when you're used to being the full-time parent? What's the transition like? How long until you're used it? How much do you miss your kids when they're not there half of the days?

It's just not the same as their natural progression away from you as they grow up, or as spending a couple of days away from them for your "me" time. It's not comparable, and I'm wondering what it's like to adapt to that.

@chisa96 Said

Do these questions make any sense? Or have the people who have done mostly just winged it through without really thinking about the "how" of the winging?
Rhiv On March 09, 2013

, United States (general)
#29New Post! Apr 24, 2012 @ 18:25:14
"What does one find to get them through it?"
Anything you possibly can...I spent a lot of time with my parents and friends to try to pass the time until my children got home...eventually I looked forward to the quiet and relaxing times every other weekend when they would go to their dads. Not that I loved them less but I really appreciated having my own time to do what I want with interruption. I had forgotten what it was like to have ME time haha

"How do you adapt when you're used to being the full-time parent?"
You just do...eventually it become routine and you get stronger and just deal with it.

"What's the transition like?"
It sucks at first, a lot of crying and being lonely...that is why you try to pass the time doing something with someone.

"How long until you're used it?"
Every situation is different, there is no specific time...I felt lonely for a few months and then I got some new hobbies so when the kids went to their dads every other weekend I had something to keep me busy and look forward to.

"How much do you miss your kids when they're not there half of the days?"
My kids are with me most of the month, they go to their dad's every other weekend. I miss them but still look forward to my quiet days that are just for me and my SO.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#30New Post! Apr 24, 2012 @ 23:54:54
@chisa96 Said

I really hope when I get older I do not get into a situation like this. That would be super crazy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs