Gaming

Brain Puzzles

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#1New Post! Aug 02, 2008 @ 23:11:59
This is a puzzle like question created by TI in cooperation with NUMB3RS.
If you already know the answers please wait a while before telling the answers so that others can try and figure then out.

1. You are locked in a room with two doors. One door leads to freedom, while the other door leads to a tiger. Fortunately there are two guards, one on each door. You are allowed to ask them one question. Unfortunately, one of them always lies and the other always tells the truth. You do not know which is which. What question should you ask and to which guard to escape the room unharmed. Explain your choice.

2. You visit an island populated with native people. Every native either tells the truth or tells a lie. You ask one native if she tells the truth or not. She replied in her native language so you ask another native to translate what she said. He replied "She said she tells the truth". Skeptical, you ask a third native if the second one tells the truth or not. The third native said "He tells lies". Does the third native tell the truth or a lie? Explain.

Try to answers these two and I will post more when they are answered.
angel21 On May 22, 2009

Co. Durham, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 02, 2008 @ 23:15:39
to much thinking for such a late hour
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#3New Post! Aug 02, 2008 @ 23:18:35
It's only 4:18!
angel21 On May 22, 2009

Co. Durham, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 02, 2008 @ 23:41:13
noper its 00.41
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#5New Post! Aug 03, 2008 @ 00:33:57
@asme251 Said
This is a puzzle like question created by TI in cooperation with NUMB3RS.
If you already know the answers please wait a while before telling the answers so that others can try and figure then out.

1. You are locked in a room with two doors. One door leads to freedom, while the other door leads to a tiger. Fortunately there are two guards, one on each door. You are allowed to ask them one question. Unfortunately, one of them always lies and the other always tells the truth. You do not know which is which. What question should you ask and to which guard to escape the room unharmed. Explain your choice.

2. You visit an island populated with native people. Every native either tells the truth or tells a lie. You ask one native if she tells the truth or not. She replied in her native language so you ask another native to translate what she said. He replied "She said she tells the truth". Skeptical, you ask a third native if the second one tells the truth or not. The third native said "He tells lies". Does the third native tell the truth or a lie? Explain.

Try to answers these two and I will post more when they are answered.

Well in the second one about the natives, it says "Every native either tells the truth, or tells a lie"..
They are saying 'every' native, not every 'other' native, or anything like that,,,so,
in essence, you really can't tell as, they each could be guilty of ither one.

The first one: I would ask each guard if they can show me truth?
As the one who lies, can say yes, but he really wouldn't be able to show me because he lies..
The truthful one, on the other hand, would be able to show me.
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#6New Post! Aug 03, 2008 @ 00:52:38
What I am saying is: Each native either always tells the truth or always lies... so you can figure it out(it the easiest of the two). In the first case you can only ask one question, so you cannot waste your one chance. There are other ways to figure it out if you can ask more but you cannot, in this case.
Hint: Try looking for a question that both will answer with the same reply.
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#7New Post! Aug 03, 2008 @ 20:36:30
Any takes? No?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs