Physics

Boxing and kinetic energy

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 13:37:44
Who here has an interest in kinetic energy as it pertains to boxing? I do and over the last few months the books of Rakesh Sondhi and Tommy Thompson. Both have taught me much about how boxers generate energy from their feet up through their bodies and then finally into their fists. Their works of literature are true contributions to the world of boxing and, for that matter, martial arts in general.

Hitting had never been as well explained before these two fine authors put their heads together and wrote about the subject.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#2New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 13:56:14
Ah yes. Because it's always better to read about something than actually participate in it. You learn so much more from a book about boxing than from actually boxing. I'm sure that's how all the great boxers did it.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#3New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 14:01:26
I always just thought was how it was. I didn't know I had to read a book about it to understand something I already understood. I really wonder what the physics genius Sheldon Cooper has to say about this.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#4New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 14:51:08
@floydgirrl Said

I always just thought was how it was. I didn't know I had to read a book about it to understand something I already understood. I really wonder what the physics genius Sheldon Cooper has to say about this.

I wonder if Sheldon Cooper's hair color is permanent.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#5New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 15:32:31
That's how I live my life. I read about things, but don't actually do s***. I'm never disappointed that way.

/sarcasm
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#6New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 15:35:48
I'm a tactile person, so I only truly learn when I have tried doing something for myself.
Stalkee

#7New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 15:44:36
@boxer Said

I wonder if Sheldon Cooper's hair color is permanent.

Or why Amy Farrah Fowler, Penny or Bernadette don't have children...
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 16:19:51
you need to see the hitting on boxing on videos or go a boxing event, to hear the sound of hit and how the boxer hits the other boxer. when you learn boxing, you need to know the strength and weakest of the other boxer. where to hit them, and did the blow you hit do the damage you want it to. that where the sound of the blow comes in, the sound is the impact come in. a book can't tell you that, only a book where the strength and weakest to hit the other boxer. you have all the wisdom from a book, but you need the physical contact with the other boxer, you need to learn the timing of how to box, and execute your style of boxing, and you need to look in the eye of the other boxer to see his emotions. all these things, you won't need get from reading books. just make more sense to me, if you going to learn boxing to right way.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#9New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 22:56:02
@Dark_Tink Said

That's how I live my life. I read about things, but don't actually do s***. I'm never disappointed that way.

Reading is too interactive. I just watch it on TV.
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 22:59:20
@Conflict Said

Who here has an interest in kinetic energy as it pertains to boxing?

What answer were you expecting to this question???
Stalkee

#11New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 23:04:44
@Grrrl Said

He's asking for someone to bounce up and down in their seat, raise their hand and say "oh oh oh "

ala Horshack

chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! May 21, 2013 @ 23:07:20
@Dark_Tink Said

I'm a tactile person, so I only truly learn when I have tried doing something for myself.

So, what you are saying is that sex education classes back in high school didn't do anything for you...
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#13New Post! May 22, 2013 @ 12:02:22
@Grrrl Said

Well, I was hoping we could talk about how energy flows when we through punches, how it charges the surface area that we hit. I know for a fact that when boxers land punches on each other,they charge each other's brains with kinetic energy.

What benefits could there be of charging the brain with this kind of energy, I often wonder.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#14New Post! May 22, 2013 @ 12:13:51
@Conflict Said

What benefits could there be of charging the brain with this kind of energy, I often wonder.

Honestly?

Really?

What benefit for the brain could come from being repeatedly punched in the head?

If I didn't know that you've never been in a fight in your life, I'd say that you're asking that question because you've been punched in the head a few times too many.

Look up "punch drunk" for your answer as to the "benefits"
The_Judge On September 17, 2013

Deleted

Your city, United Kingdom
#15New Post! May 22, 2013 @ 12:33:01
@Conflict Said

Well, I was hoping we could talk about how energy flows when we through punches, how it charges the surface area that we hit. I know for a fact that when boxers land punches on each other,they charge each other's brains with kinetic energy.

Have you ever done a martial art. Or anything competitive, where its you and someone else, seeing who is the best. ANd you have nothing but yourself to prove this with.

And people can argue and quote laws all they want. But when it comes down to it, when it gets physical, only one person is left tanding and that person dictates what is right and what is wrong.

Just look at history.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs