Philosophy

Born Again

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#1New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 03:47:23

If you could live your life over again...

Would you do it?

There are two conditions to the offer:

#1. Your second life will be exactly the same as your first one was.

#2. You will not know that it is your second time living the life.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 04:23:49
@Erimitus Said

Would you do it?

Interesting. But we'll never know!

Some cultures believe you do come back to learn from past mistakes until you've finally learned all that you need.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 04:57:31
@Erimitus Said

I don't even get to make different mistakes?

Then no.

Once is enough.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#4New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 08:19:47
I would GLADLY relive my own life if I could have a second opinion of diabetes when I first got it.
LordGnome On February 24, 2017

Dayn Sayth, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 10:39:20
Two thoughts on this one. If there is no knowledge of any previous existence then how can i learn from my past mistakes.

secondly by not knowing i am living a second life how do i know i had a previous one to be living a second one now. I could be going around for a second or third or fourth time and its utterly pointless.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#6New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 11:21:22
LG: If there is no knowledge of any previous existence then how can I learn from my past mistakes.

E: You can't

LG: By not knowing I am living a second life how do I know I had a previous one to be living a second one now.

E: You would not know

LG: I could be going around for a second or third or fourth time and its utterly pointless.

E: What is the point of the first time around?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 11:45:44
then the question, how you would know that you had a second life, in your knowledge, you don't know about it.

now, only way that you had a second life that your first life can see it. but not know about it, is a mirror image of yourself on a parallel world.

or your reflect in your mirror, you wouldn't know that is your second life.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 11:51:54
From "my" point of view .. what's the point?

If my external-to-here existence get's a thrill out of it, let 'er rip. Who am I to say.

I may get a thrill riding a roller-coaster, I may do it again and again, but the train doesn't know one trip from the next.

Maybe my external-to-here self observes and gains something out of my life that I cannot. I may watch a movie a second time and pick up additional subtleties that I didn't catch the first time.

But if there is only me, myself, and am I - what's the point?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 12:43:13
Nah.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 13:16:10
so your first self died, and you did come back in the second life, the same way. you can't tell. unless someone told you that died before.

here is a story, i can tell better to explain this.

this mother and her son just buried their grandfather, who died of a heart attack.

a week goes by, there was a knock on the front of the house. then the son open the door, and there was grandpa. of course, the boy was shock. grandpa said, " hi, sonny! " the boy said naturally, " hi, grandp! "

grandpa comes in and sitting a chair in the living room. the boy get his mom. she almost faint then shock. grandpa said to her, " hi, honey, i missed you! what's news! ". she is pale as a ghost at this time, and said to him, " nothing, it been quite here, nothing new! how are you doing, grandpa? " he said, " i feel pretty good, not great, but i am just an old man. honey. i going out to porch and sit on my rocker for awhile. " so grandpa harold get up head out the front door to the porch. while sally and little teddy watch him.

sally and little teddy are glad he left the room. omg, he was stinker. when you are still dead, you are really ripe. skunky would be jealous of him. now , you where flies lies, on grandpa.

sally doesn't know what to do. sally call old doc brown to come over to see him. so old doc brown come over and see harold on the porch, and smile, and said to harold, " harold, how are you doing fine? "

harold said to doc brown, " doc, i am little tired, but i doing ok! " then old brown ask harold, if he give him a quick exam, it been awhile, since he been at the office. " harold said, " ok! ' doc examined right there, and doc went into the house to see sally.

sally and doc talk about harold and what do with him. doc thought if harold can show that he was dead. that enough prove to him, he is dead. he would died. sally and doc didn't know she was going to this. doc leave, and harold now, in his bedroom sleep, he was take a nap.

harold still with sally and little teddy for a week. one day, little teddy was walking home from school. when he found a flier that had this a gypsy that could help you or get rid all your problems.

next day, after school, little teddy went to see the gypsy. little teddy explain about harold, and can she help him and his mommy out out. then the gypsy look at little teddy, and said, " yes, i can help you and your mommy out ".

then the gypsy walk back to her back of her room and came back with a handkerchief and a bottle of both hands. then she sat down in front of little teddy. she said, while she was shaking power from the bottle in the middle of the handkerchief and then fold it. she gave the handkerchief to little teddy." here, honey, give this to your mommy, and tell her to make your grandpa take a good sniff of the powder, and will give him the proof , he need. "

little teddy got off his seat and reach into his pocket. then little teddy put five dollars bill and some marbles on the table and walk out.

later, little teddy show sally , the handkerchief and told what the gypsy said. sally thought about it, hell, why not, grandpa need go now.

sally and little teddy go to the front porch, where harold is there. sally has told him, that he died a couple of weeks ago. but harold couldn't and will not believe sally for one minute.

harold said to sally. " show me proof that i am dead,and i will leave and died somewhere. "

so sally gave harold, the handkerchief,and told him to open it. then take a good sniff, and will be his prove. so harold open the handkerchief and take a good sniff inside it. then all sudden, harold gave a big sneeze into the handkerchief. he lift the handkerchief really close to his face and the fold the handkerchief back to sally.

then harold get up from the rocket, and said " honey, i got my proof! " all sudden , harold starting walking off the porch and heading for the road. never to see him again.

sally and little teddy watch harold getting far away from them. little teddy and sally gave each a big hug, because they were crying.

then they both look down to the handkerchief in sally's hands. to see what harold find his proof. sally open the handkerchief and there was harold's nose.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#11New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 14:18:18
Off topic, but I also don't want eternal life.
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#12New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 16:04:37
@Erimitus Said

Would you do it?

Only if this was guaranteed.
Then i'd do it again without a doubt.
Simply to get a re-run of time with family and friends i've lost over the years.
If things were variable and could be changed then NO.
I dont regret anything not even the bad/hard times.
It's all a lesson and it's made me who i am.

#13New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 16:05:42
@chaski Said

Off topic, but I also don't want eternal life.

Same the loss would be to great.
What are your reasons ?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#14New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 16:12:50
@Hitting40 Said

Same the loss would be to great.
What are your reasons ?

I can't imagine doing anything forever, and can't imagine anything that wouldn't eventually start seeming like hell...if done endlessly.

Maybe 200 years or so if I could be active and healthy as I am right now.

#15New Post! Jun 14, 2016 @ 16:19:57
@chaski Said

I can't imagine doing anything forever, and can't imagine anything that wouldn't eventually start seeming like hell...if done endlessly.

Maybe 200 years or so if I could be active and healthy as I am right now.

I just couldn't bare the loss of outliving everyone i'd loved, personally.
In your case..
I doubt eternal life would come with time options though, so we're both buggered

Although the way medicine and biotechnology is advancing your 200 years might be an achievable age in the future.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs