AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#1New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 00:48:17
Boehner, Obama trading blame
provided by DAVID ESPO - AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker John Boehner abruptly broke off talks with President Barack Obama Friday night on a deal to make major cuts in federal spending and avert a threatened government default, sending already uncertain compromise efforts into instant crisis.

Within minutes, an obviously peeved Obama virtually ordered congressional leaders to the White House Saturday morning for fresh negotiations on raising the nation's debt limit. "We've got to get it done. It is not an option not to do it," he declared.

For the first time since talks began, he declined to offer assurances, when asked, that default would be avoided. Moments later, however, he said he was confident of that outcome.

At a rebuttal news conference of his own a short while later in the Capitol, Boehner said, "I want to be entirely clear, no one wants default on the full faith and credit of the United States government, and I'm convinced that we will not."

The two men offered sharply different accounts of the compromise efforts so far and who was at fault for the collapse.

"I've been left at the altar now a couple of times," Obama said wryly.

"It's the president who walked away from his agreement," Boehner contended.

The speaker said Obama wanted higher taxes and not enough spending cuts.

--------------------------------------

Help Help Help Why is this dude defiant ?
He still wants higher taxes !
Obama is playing games...instead of worrying about the collaspe of the economy.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 00:51:45
I don't sit too closely next to men with Boehners.

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 01:08:40
I think they need to hit large business owners with heavier taxers at the same time that they cut government spending on military and weapons.

Actually they need to single out those establishing laws which are making it difficult for peasants to locate or maintain substantial jobs and hit them for big $ because they are the sole reason that many are winding up on unemployment benefits.

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 01:16:30
BTW - how much did the government spend over the past decade to keep a bunch of young men standing around a barren dessert getting picked off one by one by berserkers?

Why take alms from the poor when the US can just simply stop wasting their money to bully at the expense of young men who should be back at home getting laid by their lonely girlfriends?
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#5New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 01:38:59
@Electric_Banana Said

BTW - how much did the government spend over the past decade to keep a bunch of young men standing around a barren dessert getting picked off one by one by berserkers?

Why take alms from the poor when the US can just simply stop wasting their money to bully at the expense of young men who should be back at home getting laid by their lonely girlfriends?

The war is not about what is above the ground it is about what is below the ground. In this country it is almost a God and government given right to drive

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 01:49:07
@restoreone Said

The war is not about what is above the ground it is about what is below the ground. In this country it is almost a God and government given right to drive

In other words a long methodical campaign to capture land rich in oil reserves is being masked as a war to protect freedom and Israelis?

I'd suggest redirecting spending on war efforts towards scientific research to discover a way in which human bulls*** can be converted into an infinite resource.

Fuel companies could go and 'accidentally' dump tons of human bulls*** in the ocean and make Greenpeace cry but never quite successfully ever make it scarce enough to pick up prices on it.
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#7New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 02:27:59
Give it up EB.No use complaining about how things are run here in the States.
I'm sure New Zealand is no different.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#8New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 11:48:08
I hope a deal hasn't already been secretly agreed on and these guys are just putting on a show for the benefit of us peons.
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#9New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 11:58:52
to be honest, i think its the republicans fault. from what i can see obama seems willing to accept spending cuts yet the majority leader won't compromise at all on some tax rises. politics is a game of give and take yet all boehner wants to do is take. this could seriously come back to bite the republicans in the arse next autumn.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#10New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 12:09:05
@tomysandy Said

to be honest, i think its the republicans fault. from what i can see obama seems willing to accept spending cuts yet the majority leader won't compromise at all on some tax rises. politics is a game of give and take yet all boehner wants to do is take. this could seriously come back to bite the republicans in the arse next autumn.

Obama wasn't all that yielding awhile back. He only seems to be giving a bit so the republicans will look like the bad guy. Obama is a scheming, conniving and untrustworthy politician of the worst kind. Or, maybe I should say, whoever is pulling his strings is.
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#11New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 13:46:20
@tomysandy Said

Enough fault to go around to both sides. Obama says he's willing to consider spending cuts of varying levels, but he has never given details regarding the potential areas targeted. The GOP, on the other hand, has. Currently, the President is still not identifying what areas to cut although congressional dems are looking at US defense. https://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11205/1162266-373-0.stm

From the news report link: ""Journalists have reported Mr. Obama's claim he offered $1.7 trillion in spending cuts during closed door negotiations with Republicans, but, again, the president has provided no details.

The president isn't alone in fiscal delinquency. Senate Democrats haven't presented a budget in more than two years, even though the law requires the majority party to do so each year.""

One of the unheralded reasons we are where we are appears in the quote. Neither Obama or the previous Democrat Congress passed a budget when they should have. Hard not to put some blame there. I'll go with the GOP on this one.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#12New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 13:47:19
passing the buck are u guys.
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#13New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 16:09:53
No agreement, but the Congressional bipartisan leaders' meeting last evening apparently brought some common ground in apprx. 50 minutes time. This was done when all 4 leaders of the House and Senate agreed to meet without President Obama or his WH aides taking part.

https://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59737.html

Begs the question as to who was actually holding up or out on areas of potential agreement.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#14New Post! Jul 24, 2011 @ 17:01:45
@Electric_Banana Said

I don't sit too closely next to men with Boehners.

Your 'pronounciation' is closer to reality than that of the media in general. Congratulations!

Boehner = Böhner from the German, Bohne, meaning 'bean', or bohnern, meaning to polish or to wax, i.e., bring to a shine.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Jul 25, 2011 @ 00:11:34
@tomysandy Said

I will be bringing it up for sure.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs