US Elections

Bob Barr For President

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
treetopflyer On March 19, 2008

Deleted

Emerald City,
#1New Post! Feb 14, 2008 @ 02:02:08
Here's some food for thought and discussion for you.

Don't know his platform or his ideas but it seems quite a few people are very disillusioned with what is running now. Anyway some people from the libertarian persuasion are trying to push him to run. Any thoughts?

https://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/30751.html
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Feb 14, 2008 @ 02:31:26
"Barr was an ardent opponent of same-sex marriage. He authored and sponsored the Defense of Marriage Act, a law enacted in 1996 that states that only marriages that are between a man and a woman can be federally recognized, and individual states may choose not to recognize a same-sex couple even if that marriage is recognized in another state."

"He successfully inserted an amendment in a District of Columbia funding bill that blocked the implementation of a medical marijuana initiative that had passed a referendum.[7] He remarked that marijuana "has no place in medicine, no place in pain relief, and ... no place around our children."

"In Congress, he also controversially proposed that the Pentagon ban the practice of Wicca in the military."

"An outspoken foe of abortion, the Georgia lawmaker had acquiesced to his then-wife having an abortion in 1983. And he had invoked a legal privilege during his 1985 divorce proceeding so he could refuse to answer questions on whether he'd cheated on his second wife with the woman who is now his third."

He voted for the Patriot Act.

f*** this guy. He's a loser and opportunist, not a Libertarian.
Darkshine On May 05, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Feb 14, 2008 @ 06:31:41
He'd never have my vote.
treetopflyer On March 19, 2008

Deleted

Emerald City,
#4New Post! Feb 14, 2008 @ 17:07:12
@jonnythan Said
"Barr was an ardent opponent of same-sex marriage. He authored and sponsored the Defense of Marriage Act, a law enacted in 1996 that states that only marriages that are between a man and a woman can be federally recognized, and individual states may choose not to recognize a same-sex couple even if that marriage is recognized in another state."

"He successfully inserted an amendment in a District of Columbia funding bill that blocked the implementation of a medical marijuana initiative that had passed a referendum.[7] He remarked that marijuana "has no place in medicine, no place in pain relief, and ... no place around our children."

"In Congress, he also controversially proposed that the Pentagon ban the practice of Wicca in the military."

"An outspoken foe of abortion, the Georgia lawmaker had acquiesced to his then-wife having an abortion in 1983. And he had invoked a legal privilege during his 1985 divorce proceeding so he could refuse to answer questions on whether he'd cheated on his second wife with the woman who is now his third."

IMO we could take a look at each person running for the WH and create a list just like the one here.

I don't believe that Barr stands alone in these beliefs. Furthermore, if we are to understand what happened to Bill and Moncia was a private matter, doesn't Barr get the same pass?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Feb 14, 2008 @ 17:31:51
@treetopflyer Said
IMO we could take a look at each person running for the WH and create a list just like the one here.

Indeed. They're pretty much all losers and jerks.

Except one.
bedr1 On May 22, 2008

Cocoa, Florida
#6New Post! May 21, 2008 @ 23:35:45
Not so fast, a couple of things you need to rethink. First, Bob Barr although he did vote for the Patriot Act, also pushed for a Sunset Clause in it. Also within 6 months of voting for the Patriot Act, Bob Barr begain to rail against it and said it was a terrible bill and regreted voting for it.

On drugs, Bob Barr has come a long way, he is now for Medical Marijuana and has come to the conclusion that it should be left up to the states to decide on drugs. Actually, I am not sure legalizing crack and meth is such a good idea in the long run, but at the same time I think the war on drugs is out of control.

Defense of Marriage Act - Interesting you are a Ron Paul supporter like me and here is what Ron Paul said about the Defense of Marriage Act and I agree with him:

If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which used Congress?s constitutional authority to define what official state documents other states have to recognize under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, to ensure that no state would be forced to recognize a ?same sex? marriage license issued in another state. This Congress, I was an original cosponsor of the Marriage Protection Act, HR 3313, that removes challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act from federal courts? jurisdiction. If I were a member of the Texas legislature, I would do all I could to oppose any attempt by rogue judges to impose a new definition of marriage on the people of my state.

Conservatives in particular should be leery of anything that increases federal power, since centralized government power is traditionally the enemy of conservative values. I agree with the assessment of former Congressman Bob Barr, who authored the Defense of Marriage Act:

?The very fact that the FMA [Federal Marriage Amendment] was introduced said that conservatives believed it was okay to amend the Constitution to take power from the states and give it to Washington. That is hardly a basic principle of conservatism as we used to know it. It is entirely likely the left will boomerang that assertion into a future proposed amendment that would weaken gun rights or mandate income redistribution."

So you see, The Defense of Marriage act leaves it up to the states to decide, not the federal government.

As far as his wife and abortion, he could not stop her and for all you know thats why he divorced, anyway I would not judge a person on that because you have no way of knowing what was involved.

Lets see what else Bob Barr is about:

One of the strongest voices against the National ID, against the war since 2004, wants troops out of Iraq now, would withdraw troops completely from over 75 countries, would abolish the IRS, has an A+ rating on illegal immigration from Numbers USA, has called for the end to numerous government agencies, is NOT a CFR member, works for the ACLU on property rights issues and Habeas Corpus issues - which is fantastic. While in Congress with Ron Paul, was one of the top three members to vote along side Ron Paul.

So I don't think Bob Barr is close to what you are saying - as a matter fact I think he is probably the best alternative to Ron Paul we have available this election. Just because a person voted one way in the past, does not mean he hasn't seen the light. Just being part of the Ron Paul campaign I have learned so much that I never knew. All you have to know is that the Bushies ran someone against Barr his last two runs for congressman, just like they do for Ron Paul everytime - thats gotta tell you something

"He voted for the Patriot Act"

"An outspoken foe of abortion, the Georgia lawmaker had acquiesced to his then-wife having an abortion in 1983.[8] And he had invoked a legal privilege during his 1985 divorce proceeding so he could refuse to answer questions on whether he'd cheated on his second wife with the woman who is now his third."

f*** this a*****e. He's worse than any other candidate I can name.

@jonnythan Said

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs