Politics

Black Lives Matter

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#1New Post! Mar 26, 2016 @ 10:44:08
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/black-lives-matter-founders-among-180006935.html Modern social movements often fizzle after their moment in the national news (Occupy Wall Street and to a lesser extent the Tea Party come to mind). But Black Lives Matter has steadily gained momentum since its founding in 2013, when activist Alicia Garza coined the phrase and fellow activist Patrisse Cullors made it a hashtag. Alongside Opal Tometi, they created the Black Lives Matter network, which has grown to 28 local chapters, each fighting a range of racial injustices like police brutality and racial profiling. Last year the movement inspired college students to take up the mantel, with some successes (the system president and chancellor of the University of Missouri resigned over outcry they failed to address campus racism). They also pushed the presidential candidates to address the country's systemic racism - an issue would-be nominees would probably have preferred to sidestep.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#2New Post! Mar 27, 2016 @ 14:48:10
Who is it that this group/network is wanting black lives to matter to ?
Cause I have been googling the topic and can't seem to find an answer to my question .
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 00:21:04
@white_swan53 Said

Cause I have been googling the topic and can't seem to find an answer to
my question .

this " black lives matter " have seen sign in from a church in st. louis, when i am on the bus.

since " michael brown incident " there are signs all over the st. louis, not a lot of them.

but you are right, i don't where or why this " black lives matter ". it seem to came out the protests of michael brown, the verdict came down the innocent of the cop that killed michael.

black lives matter is the peaceful protests after the verdict. it is a positive thing, than something that could been more uglier.

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 02:56:00
@twilitezone911 Said

this " black lives matter " have seen sign in from a church in st. louis, when i am on the bus.

since " michael brown incident " there are signs all over the st. louis, not a lot of them.

but you are right, i don't where or why this " black lives matter ". it seem to came out the protests of michael brown, the verdict came down the innocent of the cop that killed michael.

black lives matter is the peaceful protests after the verdict. it is a positive thing, than something that could been more uglier.

If you g to the thread ' Dear white people ,,,,' there are some links in the thread that will tell you about when and who started the group and how it's changed since it's start .
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 03:20:07
@white_swan53 Said

If you g to the thread ' Dear white people ,,,,' there are some links in the thread that will tell you about when and who started the group and how it's changed since it's start .

i was telling you my personal observations about this topic. i have lost interest in " dear white people " thread, so i hardly read the thread now.

some of the links in these threads on the forum, get confusing to read and has nothing to with the thread(s). i have problems read and understand links.

either threads, can annoying when talking about things , some ways better not to say anything and leave them alone. these threads are taking about the old crap, we been talking for the last two weeks or more. i stop caring about for awhile, because just stupid to keep repeating it. let us move on with another topic already.

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 06:23:03
@white_swan53 Said

Cause I have been googling the topic and can't seem to find an answer to my question .

I don't understand your question. #BlackLivesMatter was born out of this country's need to address police brutality towards blacks. You know......like Tamir Rice, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, and far far too many more I haven't listed here. You mean to tell me you haven't been paying attention to what's been going with this in the last few years?

Chicago, Illinois
#7New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 06:31:00
https://www.buzzfeed.com/nicholasquah/heres-a-timeline-of-unarmed-black-men-killed-by-police-over#.qwMRgDoE4 Here’s A Timeline Of Unarmed Black People Killed By Police Over Past Year.

Chicago, Illinois
#8New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 06:37:40
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/08/police-shootings-michael-brown-ferguson-black-men The killing of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri, was no anomaly: As we reported yesterday, Brown is one of at least four unarmed black men who died at the hands of police in the last month alone. There are many more cases from years past. As Jeffrey Mittman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's Missouri chapter put it in a statement of condolence to Brown's family, "Unarmed African-American men are shot and killed by police at an alarming rate. This pattern must stop." In Oakland, California, the NAACP reported that out of 45 officer-involved shootings in the city between 2004 and 2008, 37 of those shot were black. None were white. One-third of the shootings resulted in fatalities. Although weapons were not found in 40 percent of cases, the NAACP found, no officers were charged. (These numbers don't include 22-year-old Oscar Grant, who was shot and killed by a transit authority officer at the Fruitvale BART station on New Year's Day of 2009.)

The New York City Police Department has reported similar trends in its firearms discharge report, which shows that more black people have been shot by NYPD officers between 2000 and 2011 than have Hispanics or whites. Now who in the hell in their right mind, doesn't see a huge problem here?

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Mar 28, 2016 @ 11:30:23
Quote:
One point is that of the 965 individuals fatally shot by police in 2015, only 90 were unarmed. Further, less than 4 percent of all fatal police shootings involve a white officer shooting an unarmed African American.

Of all police shootings, 40 percent were black men, and this is worth noting and agrees with the BLM complaint. Still, if only 4 percent were unarmed and shot by a white officer, then what of the rest? It is also worth noting that 243 of the nearly 1,000 people killed by police had mental health problems, and of those, nine out of 10 were armed. It is also worth noting that 42 police officers were killed during the same year.

Quote:
Statistically speaking, death by cop is not a significant cause of death, but homicide certainly is. Therefore, logical thinking leads us to question why the CDC lists homicide as the leading cause of death for black males aged 15 to 34. It is the second leading cause of death for black males aged 10 to 14. The percentages are absolutely astounding. It is a statistical fact that people rarely kill outside of race, so the majority of murders are blacks killing blacks. PolitiFact states that in the 513 days following Trayvon Martin’s death, 11,106 African Americans were murdered by other blacks.

https://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2011/lcodblackmales2011.pdf
https://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

Like I ask , who is it that black lives matter to ?

Chicago, Illinois
#10New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 08:14:00
@white_swan53 Said

https://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2011/lcodblackmales2011.pdf
https://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2015/may/21/updated-look-statistics-black-black-murders/

Like I ask , who is it that black lives matter to ?

HUH? Why do some of you white folks always bring up black on black crime when that's not we're talking about here? ALL lives matter to me! And you're asking a question as to who do black lives matter to? Think about your question is my suggestion! But good luck with that! smh

Chicago, Illinois
#11New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 08:17:19
@white_swan53 Said

Are you serious? We want #BlackLivesMatter to those who are murdering UNARMED Americans of color for one thing.......and they should matter to everyone.......but that has NEVER been the case in America!

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 09:01:45
@Spinkiegirl Said

Are you serious? We want #BlackLivesMatter to those who are murdering UNARMED Americans of color for one thing.......and they should matter to everyone.......but that has NEVER been the case in America!

I call this post !bulls***!
There is small number of police that are racist against minorities , there are a few groups who are few in members who are racist against minorities .
There are millions of Americans who are not out and about killing anyone for any reason , to these Americans who are from all walks of life and are made up of different races do care about what is going on in their country. But does that matter to a few black people that seem to hate being stereotyped but insist on stereotyping all white people ? That's a huge not NO bit f*** NO !
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#13New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 09:41:55
@Spinkiegirl Said

Sprinkiegirl, I believe in the basis of the BLM movement. To me all lives matter black, white, folks in China, folks in Mexico and folks everywhere. But the message that the BLM movement comes across with is NO LIVES MATTER MORE THAN BLACK LIVES. Now maybe others don't see it that way but that is how I see it. Trying to blame cops for the deaths of blacks is ok, I get it. There are times when cops are wrong and yes, those cops need to be punished. BUT in my humble opinion the outrage should be aimed at the people that are murdering the most blacks. Reading your post you make it sound as if cops are the only ones that kill UNARMED blacks. From what I read the black on black deaths is out of control and there are a lot of UNARMED blacks being killed by other blacks. BLM members need to say "We need to clean up our own mess. We need to educate our black brothers, and sometimes sisters, that blacks need to respect the lives of other blacks" What other races see/ hear about is how blacks disrespect the lives of the same people they are telling others that matter. To me the members of the BLM movement just want to blame others for their own short comings.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#14New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 09:55:57
WW MLK do???

What would he do, one of the greatest men of our generation... what would one of the greatest men of our generation do????????
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#15New Post! Apr 09, 2016 @ 10:03:48
@Ratty Said

WW MLK do???

What would he do, one of the greatest men of our generation... what would one of the greatest men of our generation do????????

I'm pretty sure he would say "We need to educate blacks that black lives matter!". "We need to start educating them from the moment they are born. RESPECT YOUR BROTHER'S LIVES!". Well, that's what I think and hope he would have said.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs