The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Science

Big Bang and theory (or fact) of evolution vs. the church's believe of creation.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#1New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:16:15
So there was a discussion in my psychology class about the Big Bang and theory (or fact) of evolution vs. the church's believe of creation.
Knowing that I have no intention of eating up the church's story of creation, I believe in evolution.
But twisting it this into someone else's perspective, this individual will say that god created life and everything that there is.

But this is only based on one religion. What about the Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Shinto, or any other religion there is. What about their point of view in this.
And, let's just say, if god did indeed create life, where did this so called higher power come from, because according to history humans were not introduced until after billions of years of the Earth's evolution.

Sorry if this sounds kind of confusing, but I just wanna hear other's opinions. Please, no prejudice or discrimination against these other religions.

THIS IS NOT A "LET'S DISPROVE GOD OR SCIENTIFIC FACT" THREAD!!!! I'll make that clear.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#2New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:40:47
Well, I have to put in the reminder here, that how the universe evolved depends on which of the varying "BBT" we are talking about. Literally thousands of different ways that we all got to the same place, all agreeing with each other, but tearing each other apart, mostly because one says one thing, and the other says something similar but using different words. It's as bad as religion itself.

Now, I don't discredit the idea of evolution, nor do I discredit that a supernatural being caused it all in the long run. I discredit those who perpratrate these ideas in the way of fact, when really, neither are. Both are theories, that, well, kinda go with each other if you look closer. Not entirely, of course, but enough for me to think, "Hey, can't we figure out a balence?"
Zombie Slayer

#3New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:44:52
@squirt_aka_casey Said

Well, I have to put in the reminder here, that how the universe evolved depends on which of the varying "BBT" we are talking about. Literally thousands of different ways that we all got to the same place, all agreeing with each other, but tearing each other apart, mostly because one says one thing, and the other says something similar but using different words. It's as bad as religion itself.

Now, I don't discredit the idea of evolution, nor do I discredit that a supernatural being caused it all in the long run. I discredit those who perpratrate these ideas in the way of fact, when really, neither are. Both are theories, that, well, kinda go with each other if you look closer. Not entirely, of course, but enough for me to think, "Hey, can't we figure out a balence?"

good point! but that's why I'm asking... it's kind of confusing don't you think? we all have a different idea of where we came from. Those who have a strong faith in a religion say they were created by their God, Goddesses, Spirits or what have you and those who follow the scientific road believe they evolved... multiple-sided bias
Zombie Slayer

#4New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:46:57
@squirt_aka_casey Said

@squirt_aka_casey Said

good point! but that's why I'm asking... it's kind of confusing don't you think? we all have a different idea of where we came from. Those who have a strong faith in a religion say they were created by their God, Goddesses, Spirits or what have you and those who follow the scientific road believe they evolved... multiple-sided bias
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#5New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:47:33
Evolution is backed up by mountains of evidence, it's as simple as that.

It's not a question of faith or belief in evolution it's simply very very well supported, its at the stage now where its pretty much sitting beside the 'theory' of gravity and the 'theory' of a round earth.

This is of course exemplified by the fact that any arguments against it have major flaws in their reasoning, are centered around misinformation or rely on logical fallacies.

The big bang is also backed up by mountains of evidence, though like most people it's intricacies are beyond me.

Also the big bang and evolution are scientific theories, and being such make NO claims whatsoever about the existence of god.
If you want to believe in a god then why can't he of had the foresight and intelligence to set the universe in motion with all the natural laws that would lead to life?
They seem to greatly underestimate their god.
Zombie Slayer

#6New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:47:39
@squirt_aka_casey Said

cityzen On November 11, 2009

FORT WORTH, Texas
#7New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 01:48:50
I agree w/ squirt aka casey. Why can't both, to a certain extent, be possible?
It reminds me of the album by Muse "Black Holes & Revelations" which I interpret to mean both theories can coexist.
BTW, Showtime Family periodically shows a documentary "Manual: Flock of Dodos: The Evolution - Intelligent Design Circus".
Although I didn't find it particularly enlightening, it was entertaining.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#8New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 02:28:02
@alexkidd Said

Evolution is backed up by mountains of evidence, it's as simple as that.

It's not a question of faith or belief in evolution it's simply very very well supported, its at the stage now where its pretty much sitting beside the 'theory' of gravity and the 'theory' of a round earth.

This is of course exemplified by the fact that any arguments against it have major flaws in their reasoning, are centered around misinformation or rely on logical fallacies.

The big bang is also backed up by mountains of evidence, though like most people it's intricacies are beyond me.

Also the big bang and evolution are scientific theories, and being such make NO claims whatsoever about the existence of god.
If you want to believe in a god then why can't he of had the foresight and intelligence to set the universe in motion with all the natural laws that would lead to life?
They seem to greatly underestimate their god.

That is the disheartening thing for me about the BBT. Once you get down into the mumbo jumbo technical stuff, they all just are attacking each other like a Catholic attacks a Muslim and vice versa.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#9New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 02:37:11
@squirt_aka_casey Said

That is the disheartening thing for me about the BBT. Once you get down into the mumbo jumbo technical stuff, they all just are attacking each other like a Catholic attacks a Muslim and vice versa.

I don't think so, i think that's a general misunderstanding about science and the big bang,
the big bang theory makes no claims about god, it doesn't say he doesn't exist nor does it attempt to refute religious beliefs.
It's simply an extrapolation of the evidence.

It may lead some to the conclusion that their religion is wrong but it does so without intent, much like our understanding of meteorology, climatology and physics wasn't an attempt to disprove thor and his hammer being the cause of thunder storms.

EDIT: of course some people have their own motives, some, admittedly like myself dislike religion.
but that's not science.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#10New Post! Feb 17, 2009 @ 02:39:35
@alexkidd Said

I don't think so, i think that's a general misunderstanding about science and the big bang,
the big bang theory makes no claims about god, it doesn't say he doesn't exist nor does it attempt to refute religious beliefs.
It's simply an extrapolation of the evidence.

It may lead some to the conclusion that their religion is wrong but it does so without intent, much like our understanding of meteorology, climatology and physics wasn't an attempt to disprove thor and his hammer being the cause of thunder storms.

Oh, no no, I know that it doesn't try to disprove a supernatural exsistance. I'm just saying that, in my time looking at different BBT they have been just as petty to each other than many religions out there.
jck200 On April 22, 2009

cardiff, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 00:37:58
There is a simple choice in the first instance.

Either you can believe that the Universe suddenly appeared from nothing at all and there was nothing at all before then...

or

That space and energy always exist in some form as there is no such thing as nothing at all and certainly no evidence at all for nothing at all being possible.

That is it.

If you do not choose one first then conemplating anything else has no foundation.

As far as faith goes that is for the individual, people believe in a god because they feel better for it which in itself is not such a bad thing.

john
Zombie Slayer

#12New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 05:13:50
@jck200 Said

Either you can believe that the Universe suddenly appeared from nothing at all and there was nothing at all before then...

or

That space and energy always exist in some form as there is no such thing as nothing at all and certainly no evidence at all for nothing at all being possible.

That is it.

If you do not choose one first then conemplating anything else has no foundation.

As far as faith goes that is for the individual, people believe in a god because they feel better for it which in itself is not such a bad thing.

john

oooh, i like your thinking
jck200 On April 22, 2009

cardiff, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 05:16:11
hazuki,

lol I just made a comment to you on another thread and here you are again...

I am sorry to inform you that you are in the minority as no one else likes my thinking or my questions,lol.

john
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#14New Post! Feb 22, 2009 @ 01:35:37
@jck200 Said

or

That is it.

john

No, I kinda like this too. This is where many of the BBT pull away from each other. Personally, I think that there couldn't have been nothing there, what and where I think that something was, is how I believe in God. That something caused this something, and everything that happened in this something's history.

Where I find that religion takes it all wrong is in the asumption that God created us in His image, ahh, but truthfully, we created Him in our image. I can't explain what that is, nor do I want to try, as it's not my place.

maybe it's not that they are both right in some ways, maybe it's that we are all wrong. Ha ha
arsenicgirl On July 18, 2009

Chesapeake, Ohio
#15New Post! Feb 22, 2009 @ 01:38:33
This is a noteworthy thread. I'd say that I believe most in the bible theory, because I am more a believer in the holy ways, if that makes sense in the least.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs