Big Bang Theory

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:41:41
What do you think about the Big Bang Theory?

Apparently their are a group of scientists who are soon to proove almost beyond doubt, that the Big Bang occured due a very small particle, that should show for a millionth of a billionth of a billionth of a second during a huge experiment being undertaken over the next few months.

What are your thoughts, on the theory itself, and on this news that it may be actualy prooved by a tiny nanosecond of evidence?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:45:55
Very very few people understand that when scientists refer to the Big Bang, they are *not* talking about a single point mass exploding and populating the universe.

The "explosion" refers to spacetime itself. Instead of one tiny dot exploding into thousands of tiny dots on the surface of a balloon (a 2-d universe), imagine someone blowing up the balloon from the inside, making the universe itself (the surface of the balloon) grow and carry the thousands of tiny dots - which all started as a single infinitely tiny dot on an infinitely tiny balloon.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:46:52
@jonnythan Said
Very very few people understand that when scientists refer to the Big Bang, they are *not* talking about a single point mass exploding and populating the universe.

The "explosion" refers to spacetime itself. Instead of one tiny dot exploding into thousands of tiny dots on the surface of a balloon (a 2-d universe), imagine someone blowing up the balloon from the inside, making the universe itself (the surface of the balloon) grow.

sorry but did u just say people think of the big bang as being flat?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#4New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:48:30
@jonnythan Said

The "explosion" refers to spacetime itself. Instead of one tiny dot exploding into thousands of tiny dots on the surface of a balloon (a 2-d universe), imagine someone blowing up the balloon from the inside, making the universe itself (the surface of the balloon) grow and carry the thousands of tiny dots - which all started as a single infinitely tiny dot on an infinitely tiny balloon.

That doesnt really answer my question...i mean the all the evidence show that it's an ongoing thing (like the fact that the universe is red shows it's expanding and all that boring crap they teach in physics).

Im more concerned with people's beliefs concerning it than the actualy facts. Perhaps this should be posted in the philosophy section.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:48:39
@angelcake Said
sorry but did u just say people think of the big bang as being flat?

No, people think of the Big Bang as this tiny dot floating in a large, empty space exploding and filling the empty space with "stuff."

That's not the case.

There was no empty space before the Big Bang. The Big Bang included *space itself* expanding from a singularity along with the matter contained within it.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:49:18
I saw this programme the other night
think it was horizon or something...

convinced me..... more than GOD doing it all in seven days seven nights anyways....
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:49:34
@jonnythan Said
No, people think of the Big Bang as this tiny dot floating in a large, empty space exploding and filling the empty space with "stuff."

That's not the case.

There was no empty space before the Big Bang. The Big Bang included *space itself* expanding from a singularity along with the matter contained within it.

sorry didnt realise u had a degree in physics
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:52:05
@jmo Said
That doesnt really answer my question...i mean the all the evidence show that it's an ongoing thing (like the fact that the universe is red shows it's expanding and all that boring crap they teach in physics).

Im more concerned with people's beliefs concerning it than the actualy facts. Perhaps this should be posted in the philosophy section.

Forgive me, I was trying to interject some reality of what the Big Bang is before people started talking about it.

We basically "know" what the universe was like starting with a few seconds after the Big Bang. We don't really "know" what it was like before that. We only have guesses like the Big Bang. We don't really know why matter is distributed the way it is, or why background radiation is so uniform when the matter distribution is not, etc. The "starting parameters" of the universe are largely unknown, and that's apparently what we're really trying to figure out at the moment.

I'm not sure you can argue with the apparent fact that there was a "big bang" of sorts, but we can argue indefinitely about whether the universe started as an actual singularity, whether it will return to one, etc.

I personally think we're a long way away from knowing what happens to the laws of physics when approaching a singularity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beliefs" concerning the theory.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:54:39
@jonnythan Said
Forgive me, I was trying to interject some reality of what the Big Bang is before people started talking about it.

We basically "know" what the universe was like starting with a few seconds after the Big Bang. We don't really "know" what it was like before that. We only have guesses like the Big Bang. We don't really know why matter is distributed the way it is, or why background radiation is so uniform when the matter distribution is not, etc. The "starting parameters" of the universe are largely unknown, and that's apparently what we're really trying to figure out at the moment.

I'm not sure you can argue with the apparent fact that there was a "big bang" of sorts, but we can argue indefinitely about whether the universe started as an actual singularity, whether it will return to one, etc.

I personally think we're a long way away from knowing what happens to the laws of physics when approaching a singularity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beliefs" concerning the theory.

I essentially mean, do you believe it happened/is happening. What do you believe caused it, but most significantly, Why did it happen?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#10New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:56:32
the theory: very cool...the idea that if you could travel far enough and fast enough out beyond the universe, you could turn around and see it (the big bang)...sort of..very cool.

science ever "proving it"...not a chance.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#11New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:56:59
I think a astro physics degree will explain the big bang theory.. do any of us have one??
My aircraft engineering degree can tell you havw things fly and stay in the air.. But as Jonnythan says,

Quote:
Very very few people understand that when scientists refer to the Big Bang

And i agree.. a mate told me some thing to do with parallel unverses and s*** load of other stuff... bla bla bla... (not pretending i know.. bang space/time... but i beleive in the theory. But alot of people have failed trying to prove it...
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:58:05
@chaski Said
the theory: very cool...the idea that if you could travel far enough and fast enough out beyond the universe, you could turn around and see it (the big bang)...sort of..very cool.

That's not at all true. The Big Bang theory specifically prohibits that kind of observation. It's physically and logically impossible because there is no universe "outside" our universe. You would only be able to be "in" the universe and experience space expanding and cooling the exact same way we do today.

This is why I'm leery of such topics. Advanced cosmologic theories are poorly understood even by many second and third year physics undergraduate students, much less the general population. Debating the philosophical merits of theories one doesn't at all understand is a recipe for disaster.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#13New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 20:03:11
@jonnythan Said
That's not at all true. The Big Bang theory specifically prohibits that kind of observation. It's physically and logically impossible because there is no universe "outside" our universe.

sorry...within the universe, but fast enough to get beyond light....

sure, you cannot exceed the speed of light (in a "foot race sneario" ), but it is not illogical to think that by way of time-space distortions and or alternate universes or demensions, that you could get out beyond the light from the big bang, and see it...
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 20:05:59
@chaski Said
sorry...within the universe, but fast enough to get beyond light....

sure, you cannot exceed the speed of light (in a "foot race sneario" ), but it is not illogical to think that by way of time-space distortions and or alternate universes or demensions, that you could get out beyond the light from the big bang, and see it...

No, it's not remotely logical. It's completely illogical.

No space existed that was devoid of light from the Big Bang. The entirety of the universe was filled with light and energy. As the universe rapidly expanded, there was literally nowhere a particle could possibly exist without being literally awash in other particles and electromagnetic waves.

That's what I'm trying to get at. The entirety of the physical universe is included in the Big Bang.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#15New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 20:09:16
@jonnythan Said
No, it's not remotely logical. It's completely illogical.

No space existed that was devoid of light from the Big Bang. The entirety of the universe was filled with light and energy. As the universe rapidly expanded, there was literally nowhere a particle could possibly exist without being literally awash in other particles and electromagnetic waves.

That's what I'm trying to get at. The entirety of the physical universe is included in the Big Bang.

the light, matter and energy from the big band keeps expanding out to a part(s) of our universe where nothing exists...the universe is still expanding.

and logically...maybe you need to reassess you understanding of the universe...yours is not the only opinion on what is "logical"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs