Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 15:30:27
Today, human sacrifice is held nearly universally to be to be evil at least if not Satanic, so what is human sacrifice to God doing in Bible? There are three examples.

Most people know about Abraham who was told to sacrifice his son, Isaac, but was stopped at the last minute. Why was he told to do it in the first place, giving the impression that such a thing was acceptable, and why didn't Abraham tell God to take a hike. Not only was it ritual human sacrifice, but he was told to sacrifice his own son.

The least known example is Jephthah in Judges 11:29, who makes an oath to sacrifice (what turns out to be) his daughter if he wins a battle, which he does--and he did sacrifice her. Some people try to excuse this on the grounds that the event was not presented as neutral and/or not being what God wanted. We're talking human sacrifice here. Is there room for neutrality? Why isn't it presented as the great evil it is, not in matter-of-fact language? And why doesn't God intervene as he did by aiding Jephthah in the first place.

But the real cultural, mass hypnotic blindness is to the human sacrifice of Jesus as a salvific exchange for our sins. Yes, this is almost surely a dogma adopted by Paul and back-filled into some of the gospels, but if the Bible is the Word of God, how can it be excused? How could it remain there for 2000 years? It couldn't, especially when we consider that there is only one way for the remission of sin, through heart changing repentance. Ironically, this is what Jesus and his partner, John the Baptizer taught.

Today's Christianity should actually be termed Paulism.

Next--Biblical Evil #2: Paul, the Beast of Revelation
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 15:43:18
@ThePainefulTruth Said

What is human sacrifice to God doing in Bible? There are three examples.

Most people know about Abraham who was told to sacrifice his son, Isaac, but was stopped at the last minute. Why was he told to do it in the first place, giving the impression that such a thing was acceptable, and why didn't Abraham tell God to take a hike. Not only was it ritual human sacrifice, but he was told to sacrifice his own son.

The least known example is Jephthah in Judges 11:29, who makes an oath to sacrifice (what turns out to be) his daughter if he wins a battle, which he does. Some people try to excuse this on the grounds that the event was not presented as neutral and not being what God wanted. We're talking human sacrifice here. Is there room for neutrality? Why isn't it presented as the great evil it is, not in matter-of-fact language? And why doesn't God intervene as he did by aiding Jephthah in the first place.

But the real cultural, mass hypnotic blindness is to the human sacrifice of Jesus in a salvific exchange for our sins. Yes, this is almost surely a dogma adopted by Paul and back and filled into some of the gospels, but if the Bible is the Word of God, how can it be excused? How could it remain there for 2000 years? It couldn't, especially when we consider that there is only one way for the remission of sin, through heart changing repentance. Ironically, this is what Jesus and his partner, John the Baptizer taught.

First, a question. Is Jesus your example #3?
Then - traditionally animals were sacrificed as sin offerings.

Abraham was asked to sacrifice Isaac so Abraham would understand the heart of God when God would later sacrifice His Son for the salvation of the world. Obviously though, He didn't make him go through with it. It was a revelation to Abraham and also (in a way) an affirmation that Abraham was obedient to God.

Jephthah called upon God to give him victory in battle. He himself promised a sacrifice of whatever came out of the door to greet him. In this case it was his daughter.

Both of these examples are foreshadows of what God would later do with Jesus. A sacrifice of their only/favored child. In Abraham's case, that sacrifice wasn't carried out - Isaac had to carry on the lineage by which Abraham would become the father of nations.

It was not a common practice to sacrifice humans. The practice was to sacrifice animals.

If Jesus was your example #3, it comes in a slightly different manner. But Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice. A sin offering for all of mankind. All three 'sacrifices' went willingly (yes, even Isaac) but they were not normal and not commonly practiced.

Did I even come close to getting your point?
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#3New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 15:59:58
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Today, human sacrifice is held nearly universally to be to be evil at least if not Satanic, so what is human sacrifice to God doing in Bible? There are three examples.

The least known example is Jephthah in Judges 11:29, who makes an oath to sacrifice (what turns out to be) his daughter if he wins a battle, which he does--and he did sacrifice her. Some people try to excuse this on the grounds that the event was not presented as neutral and/or not being what God wanted. We're talking human sacrifice here. Is there room for neutrality? Why isn't it presented as the great evil it is, not in matter-of-fact language? And why doesn't God intervene as he did by aiding Jephthah in the first place.

But the real cultural, mass hypnotic blindness is to the human sacrifice of Jesus as a salvific exchange for our sins. Yes, this is almost surely a dogma adopted by Paul and back-filled into some of the gospels, but if the Bible is the Word of God, how can it be excused? How could it remain there for 2000 years? It couldn't, especially when we consider that there is only one way for the remission of sin, through heart changing repentance. Ironically, this is what Jesus and his partner, John the Baptizer taught.

That's pretty much how the bible works.

Thou shalt not kill.....unless god tells you to.

Do as I say not as I do.

The god presented in the bible comes off as hypocritical.

Maybe cause he wasn't actually god.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#4New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 16:46:37
@someone_else Said
Did I even come close to getting your point?

You seem to be saying that as long as God tells you to commit evil, it's OK. So no, you aren't close. If God is not evil He would not condone evil, therefore the Bible must be, in these cases at least, the work of evil men.

@"arcades" Said
That's pretty much how the bible works. Thou shalt not kill.....unless god tells you to. Do as I say not as I do. The god presented in the bible comes off as hypocritical. Maybe cause he wasn't actually god.

Or more precisely, the Bible is not the divine Word of God, because God, if He exists, would not present His revelations or otherwise intervene in our world lest He disrupt our free will.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#5New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 16:55:06
@ThePainefulTruth Said

You seem to be saying that as long as God tells you to commit evil, it's OK. So no, you aren't close. If God is not evil He would not condone evil, therefore the Bible must be, in these cases at least, the work of evil men.

Oops. Why the edit?

I apologize for missing your point. You are asking, if we deem human sacrifice as evil, why is it in the Bible?

You do understand that Isaac was never intended to be sacrificed (and indeed he wasn't). God wanted Abraham to understand the gravity of Jesus' sacrifice.

The sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter was not commanded by God. It was offered by Jephthah, clearly thinking that some animal was going to run out to greet him. Again, she went willingly so I'm not so sure it qualifies as 'evil'.
Rec On May 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

Bartow, Florida
#6New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 17:31:36
There are more than one point in the Sacred Narrative, those that SomeOne-else mentioned and also, two other references to be pulled from Abrahams story, that of the promise of God to Abraham to make many nations from his seed, (a spiritual nation) which when asked to sacrifice Issac would one- put an end to that promise, two- strengthen the faith of Abraham, that no matter how things looked, God would keep his word, and three- to clearly set the precept, that was to set the Hebrews apart from pagan religions, which did sacrifice humans, that He was not pleased with or allowed human sacrifice period.

Jephtahn in Judges is a result of his very own vow, not the command of God, to sacrifice something, thinking to honor God by doing so. One, He did not think out what he vowed beforehand, nor was commanded to do so, therefore HIS rashness is what caused his murder of his daughter. Two, one should always think things out before vowing anything that is not within the power to keep or that would violate the life of another human being. The onus was on Jepthahn, not God. We make our own decisions, per free will, and should do so with a right judgement instead of a rashness instead.

And God forbids us to MURDER, not Kill, there are two different concepts here to be considered. Ideally there should be no harm in the world, but as we all know there is, when we look at the proclivity of human nature. Therefore to reason that God is evil or condones killing is both irrational looking at the reality around you! JMO 8)
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 18:17:50
@Rec Said
to clearly set the precept, that was to set the Hebrews apart from pagan religions, which did sacrifice humans, that He was not pleased with or allowed human sacrifice period.

That would be a good an valid point if it had been made, and without the subsequent human sacrifices, which makes it obvious that wasn't the intent.

Quote:
Jephtahn in Judges is a result of his very own vow, not the command of God, to sacrifice something, thinking to honor God by doing so.

God is not honored by committing evil.

Quote:
He did not think out what he vowed beforehand, nor was commanded to do so, therefore HIS rashness is what caused his murder of his daughter.

Two wrongs don't make a right, particularly when the second is so much more wrong. If any human had walked out of the door, he should have immediately negated his vow, even if it meant he would have gone to hell (which it wouldn't have).

Quote:
one should always think things out before vowing anything that is not within the power to keep or that would violate the life of another human being.

See above.

Quote:
The onus was on Jepthahn, not God. We make our own decisions, per free will, and should do so with a right judgement instead of a rashness instead.

Re: the IP.

Quote:
And God forbids us to MURDER, not Kill, there are two different concepts here to be considered. Ideally there should be no harm in the world, but as we all know there is, when we look at the proclivity of human nature. Therefore to reason that God is evil or condones killing is both irrational looking at the reality around you! JMO 8)

You said above that it was murder. Therefore God was condoning murder.

And none of this looks at God committing murder Himself with the supposed human sacrifice of Jesus, and that for something that can't be achieved--repentance bought by the death of another. And nowhere have I said, nor do I believe, that God is evil or actually condoned these acts. He (if He exists) is just portrayed that way in the Bible.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#8New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 15:41:55
So.....what? Christians and Jews here are cool with HS, cause it's in da book I guess.
DrWolfgang On January 10, 2011

Newport, Kentucky
#9New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 15:48:57
Key Point: Bible is flawed, while (WHICH I DOUBT) they could have been the words of god. People have too much freewill to write what they want and how they want it. Not to mention most of the bible was changed during the council of Nicea in like 325 AD. Books were chosen to be taken out and put it by the CATHOLIC CHURCH and all bibles today are based on that decision.

I wouldnt put it past Christians to sacrifice people today, there all crazy and there are religions better than them like BUDDHISTS, who care a hell of a lot more than Christians.

Militant Christians
Evangelical Christians
ETC... They piss me off

The only christians I like are the Unitarian Universalists.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#10New Post! May 06, 2010 @ 12:57:39
@DrWolfgang Said

Key Point: Bible is flawed, while (WHICH I DOUBT) they could have been the words of god. People have too much freewill to write what they want and how they want it. Not to mention most of the bible was changed during the council of Nicea in like 325 AD. Books were chosen to be taken out and put it by the CATHOLIC CHURCH and all bibles today are based on that decision.

I wouldnt put it past Christians to sacrifice people today, there all crazy and there are religions better than them like BUDDHISTS, who care a hell of a lot more than Christians.

You say you doubt the Bible is flawed, then point out why it's reasonable to think it is. Paul is responsible for much of Christian mythology such as the human sacrifice of Jesus, the pagan Last Supper, the Resurrection--which was added later to the original Book of Mark.

Quote:
Militant Christians
Evangelical Christians
ETC... They piss me off

For militancy and violence, no religion has been able to hold a candle to Islam for centuries; especially since the largest Christian sect in the US (the Southern Baptists) finally disavowed slavery in the 1990's (and which is still practiced by Muslims). And don't forget Jihad, Muslims taking 9 year old wives after Mohammad's example, honor killings, and Muslim parents sacrificing their children as weapons. Etc.

Quote:
The only christians I like are the Unitarian Universalists.

I'm not sure I'd even characterize modern UU's as Christian. But very politically liberal.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#11New Post! May 06, 2010 @ 13:17:05
Human sacrifice was practised worldwide in the past! We can find examples in Europe, Africa, Asia and the Americas. Sacrifice of humans was thought by these peoples to be the most valuable of all sacrifices. Thereby more pleasing to their gods, and the sacrifice most likely to get the results the sacrificers desired!
Not a dude.

Deleted

#12New Post! May 06, 2010 @ 14:24:37
@ThePainefulTruth Said

For militancy and violence, no religion has been able to hold a candle to Islam for centuries; especially since the largest Christian sect in the US (the Southern Baptists) finally disavowed slavery in the 1990's (and which is still practiced by Muslims). And don't forget Jihad, Muslims taking 9 year old wives after Mohammad's example, honor killings, and Muslim parents sacrificing their children as weapons. Etc.

Slightly OT here, but is that (which I've bolded) a typo? Did the Southern Baptists still have slaves up until 20 years ago?
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#13New Post! May 06, 2010 @ 21:36:13
@someone_else Said

Slightly OT here, but is that (which I've bolded) a typo? Did the Southern Baptists still have slaves up until 20 years ago?

No, s'why I made sure it was 1990. No, nor did they promote slavery as they had prior to and during the Civil War, which was why they split with Northern Baptists. But white racists, bigots and segregationists in the South up until the (19)60's found a welcome home in Southern Baptist Churches. Note the Church doesn't actually admit to its advocacy/complicity in Southern slavery and racism.

That said, we can't be held reasonably responsible for the sins of our fathers, only for acknowledging them.

THAT said, it took a lot of internal turmoil to even get to this point.

Extracted from Southern Baptist Convention Resolution:
Quote:
Therefore, be it RESOLVED, That we, the messengers to the Sesquicentennial meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention, assembled in Atlanta, Georgia, June 20-22, 1995, unwaveringly denounce racism, in all its forms, as deplorable sin; and...

...Be it further RESOLVED, That we lament and repudiate historic acts of evil such as slavery from which we continue to reap a bitter harvest, and we recognize that the racism which yet plagues our culture today is inextricably tied to the past.
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#14New Post! May 06, 2010 @ 22:02:06
Good stuff but are you really sure you wish to start a series on biblical evils?

It will take you a looooooooooooong time to complete.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#15New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 06:00:36
I'll just cover the highlights.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs