The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

Bertrand Russell is the most overrated philosopher of all time.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Carnotaurus On September 27, 2012

A City, Canada
#1New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 13:08:35
I'm getting sick of Bertrand Russell. I'm sick of seeing quotes by him in the subreddit r/athiesm. I'm sick of seeing people on the internet who admire him. Bertrand Russell might be the most overrated philosopher of all time.

Here a Bertrand Russell quote that proves my point.

?"Since Rousseau and Kant, there have been two schools of liberalism, which may be distinguished as the hard-headed and the soft-hearted. The hard-headed developed, through Bentham, Ricardo, and Marx, by logical stages into Stalin; the soft-hearted, by other logical stages, through Fichte, Byron, Carlyle, and Nietzsche, into Hitler."

Oh god! Look at Bertrand Russel go! He's claiming that Hitler was inspired by Nietzsche even though they had nothing in common with each other. I find it pretty Ironic that Bertrand Russell claimed that Nietzsche inspired Hitler since Russell advocated eugenics wheras Nietzsche did not.

Bertrand Russell said this in ICARUS or the Future of Science: "Eugenics has, of course, more ambitious possibilities in a more distant future. It may aim not only at eliminating undesired types, but at increasing desired types."

https://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Icarus.html

“It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion”

In my opinion, Bertrand Russell is the dragon who has to be slain if Nietzsche fans are ever going to be able to discuss their beliefs without being labeled Nazis.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#2New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:50:49
Anyone who doesn't agree with you is definitely a Nazi and fascist. If you cannot understand this, it is because you are a fascist yourself.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:52:38
Who cares who the greatest philosopher is/was? Apart from philosophy students, who all have beards, listen to Coldplay and drink guiness.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:52:42
I definitely prefer Bertrand Russel to Friedrich Nietzsche if it comes down to the two.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#5New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:56:53
@MAW Said

Apart from philosophy students, who all have beards, listen to Coldplay and drink guiness.

Sometimes we listen to something different like Gorillaz.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#6New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:57:16
@jmo Said

I definitely prefer Bertrand Russel to Friedrich Nietzsche if it comes down to the two.

You and your British psychologists.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:57:57
Coldplay!? Have bears and drink guinness is a fair enough comment, but Coldplay?

Philosophy students f***ing despise Coldplay.

Try Radiohead.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#8New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 17:58:22
@galasTAray Said

You and your British psychologists.

I hate Nietzsche.

I hate postmodernism.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:00:12
@galasTAray Said

Sometimes we listen to something different like Gorillaz.

Yeah well the new album is pretty good. But can there be anything more pointless than debating which philosopher is the greatest?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:01:31
I like the red robot.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:02:46
I'm more of a Sartre girl myself, but I actually quite admire Russell's work. I don't think he's better than Nietzsche (who does tend to be a tiny bit overrated by undergrad philosophy students for some reason), but a lot of his ideas make sense and are cohesive- which is something that brings down a lot of philosophers imo.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:04:30
@Carnotaurus Said

I'm getting sick of Bertrand Russell. I'm sick of seeing quotes by him in the subreddit r/athiesm. I'm sick of seeing people on the internet who admire him. Bertrand Russell might be the most overrated philosopher of all time.

Here a Bertrand Russell quote that proves my point.

?"Since Rousseau and Kant, there have been two schools of liberalism, which may be distinguished as the hard-headed and the soft-hearted. The hard-headed developed, through Bentham, Ricardo, and Marx, by logical stages into Stalin; the soft-hearted, by other logical stages, through Fichte, Byron, Carlyle, and Nietzsche, into Hitler."

Oh god! Look at Bertrand Russel go! He's claiming that Hitler was inspired by Nietzsche even though they had nothing in common with each other. I find it pretty Ironic that Bertrand Russell claimed that Nietzsche inspired Hitler since Russell advocated eugenics wheras Nietzsche did not.

Bertrand Russell said this in ICARUS or the Future of Science: "Eugenics has, of course, more ambitious possibilities in a more distant future. It may aim not only at eliminating undesired types, but at increasing desired types."

https://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Icarus.html

“It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion”

In my opinion, Bertrand Russell is the dragon who has to be slain if Nietzsche fans are ever going to be able to discuss their beliefs without being labeled Nazis.

Actually it wasn't just Russell who thought that Nietzsche was fascist, a lot of people did. However, it's my understanding that his sister finished his book after he died and she was a friend of the Hitlers, so it's thought that she edited it to make him sound like he was in favour of it.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#13New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:04:30
@MAW Said

Yeah well the new album is pretty good. But can there be anything more pointless than debating which philosopher is the greatest?

I don't think it's really all that pointless. If you use examples and logic to support your arguments, why not debate which philosopher makes more sense? That's what philosophy is all about. Coming to truths, studying, debating, analyzing, et cetera.

There's lots of other way more pointless things you could be doing. Take planking, for example.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#14New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:05:52
@sister_of_mercy Said

I'm more of a Sartre girl myself, but I actually quite admire Russell's work. I don't think he's better than Nietzsche (who does tend to be a tiny bit overrated by undergrad philosophy students for some reason), but a lot of his ideas make sense and are cohesive- which is something that brings down a lot of philosophers imo.

A tiny bit? God at my uni everyone was obsessed with him until about half way through third year. Couldn't move for people talking about him, and quoting him and going on and on and on about him.

Finally people got to third year and got over him. 2 and a half years of tutorials where Nietzsche was quoted in every class no matter how irrelevant he was to the discussion.

*shudders* One of few things I do not miss about being a philosophy student.
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#15New Post! Apr 29, 2012 @ 18:08:29
@jmo Said

A tiny bit? God at my uni everyone was obsessed with him until about half way through third year. Couldn't move for people talking about him, and quoting him and going on and on and on about him.

Finally people got to third year and got over him. 2 and a half years of tutorials where Nietzsche was quoted in every class no matter how irrelevant he was to the discussion.

*shudders* One of few things I do not miss about being a philosophy student.

Yeah, I will admit that. But he was a very intelligent, very logical man with very creative ideas. Without doubt, he is one of the greatest philosophers of all time.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs