Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal
Beliefs
September 19, 2018 @ 01:25:09 pm
Where did your beliefs come from?

Quote | Reply

Erimitus

New Post! September 19, 2018 @ 01:33:52 pm
Beliefs, to a large extent, are dictated by society, the media, parents and teachers...

twilitezone911

New Post! September 19, 2018 @ 07:04:58 pm
my beliefs comes from different sources, mainly, I think I like to high moral compass that comes from parents, traditional values from Judaism, society, environment and the outside source from nature itself.

Erimitus

New Post! September 19, 2018 @ 07:38:41 pm
I am thinking that beliefs come from experience. I do not see how a belief can be a priori. What do you think?

mrmhead

New Post! September 20, 2018 @ 12:00:18 am
@Erimitus Said

I am thinking that beliefs come from experience. I do not see how a belief can be a priori. What do you think?

I think it can:
a definition: relating to or derived by reasoning from self-evident propositions
(notice I said "a", not "the" )

Wouldn't "self-evident propositions" include direct observations of experience?

So it is in essence, in a sense, it is really the same.

Leon

New Post! September 20, 2018 @ 02:06:10 am
@Erimitus Said

Family, study, media, discussion forums, common sense.

Erimitus

New Post! September 20, 2018 @ 05:32:15 pm
A response to MM Post.

Question: can a belief be a priori

Begging the question:

An argument for a self-evident conclusion demonstrates an ignorance of the purpose of persuasively arguing for the conclusion based on one or more premises that differ from it

A priori = A posteriori

Are you saying that a priori and a posterior essentially the same?

Assuming Locke’s tabula rasa we could say that a posteriori is a requisite of a priori. I can agree that there are no innate ideas. It is, however, not unreasonable to consider the possibility of innate knowledge. Maybe that is instinct.

I stand corrected:

My belief that I am conscious is an example of a priori self evidence
However, my belief that you are conscious is not (epistemologically) self evident. This belief requires evidence and proof.

I believe, a priori, that a whole is equal to the sum of its parts.

I believe, a priori, that 2 + 2 = 4

Self evident:

I don’t think there is consensus on the meaning of self-evident. And I suspect that at least some epistemologists, based on their definition, who would argue that a proposition cannot be self evident.

Note: Sorry about my response being inconsistent. I had not given this much thought and just wrote down ideas as they came to me.

chaski

Stalker

New Post! September 20, 2018 @ 07:39:35 pm

Initially my beliefs came from my family.

Church and school (mostly) supported those beliefs but also added to them.

Then came friends... they each brought with them a burgeoning set of beliefs that in large part merged with my own. Some of my friends were like a virus in that they infected me with their ideas.

Work then infused many other beliefs. My career was instrumental in establishing the belief that my belief system should be built around facts and truth.

Of course interaction with the world from people to art to TV to "etc" had its input on my beliefs.

Education (both formal and informal), at some point, took over (for the most part at least) the reigns of my belief system and is now where I get my beliefs...

Thus my beliefs come from study, research (of a sort), reading, fact checking: education.

From the stand point of religious beliefs I am glad that I went to church, to Sunday school, to religious schools (for part of my pre-university years) and that I studied the bible (and numerous other holy books. My beliefs have left these mythologies behind, still I am glad for having been exposed to these beliefs.

Quote | Reply