Beer

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 27, 2019 @ 00:31:39
Beer. We all like it, probably most of us drink it and on a hot day what better way to watch a sporting occasion such as a cricket test match or the tennis at Wimbledon than with a glass of something cold to sup.

Over here in ye merry olde Englandshire we celebrate National Beer Day every year on 15th June, which coincides with the signing of Magna Carta in 1215. That day is chosen because one of the clauses in the document was this:

Let there be throughout our kingdom a single measure for wine and a single measure for ale and a single measure for corn, namely the London quarter.

This encouraged the drinking of beer (probably because it was safer to drink than the water) and even if he did lose the crown jewels, Bad King John did at least one good thing.

We are not really a lager drinking nation, although it is popular here when the weather is hot. Gotta tell you guys that the most popular beer at Gay Pride festivals is Budweiser. Is that something Anhauser-Busch would want to put in their promotional material over there...?

We are more of an ale drinking nation and OK, that's led to allegations of "warm beer" and in some places that's been fair enough in the past but the modern craft beers are really quite refreshing without being anything like the frozen piss we're encouraged to drink by advertisers of some countries exports.

Craft beers have caught on in recent times, largely encouraged by the Campaign For Real Ale (CAMRA).

The type of beer coming on the market is quite diverse and culturally interesting.

Top 10 UK Craft Beers

I have tried some of these and although the idea of something flavoured raspberry would constitute beer, the taste was quite agreeable.

Not sure that I'd drink it at Brighton Pride though.

But as a cultural topic, I'm surprised we've never discussed beer on here before.... well at least, not in my time that I can recall.

I understand craft beers are becoming popular in the US too. Does anybody have any comments on that or anything else to do with the foaming ale...?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 10:03:52
I'm rather surprised that nobody has anything to say about beer.

Doesn't anybody out there drink beer...? Is there really zero interest in the subject...?

I posted the same topic on an LGBT site I frequent and it's had more than 100 posts since yesterday. Not that I put it here for attention, but I thought there really would be some interest in the subject.

If there really is zero interest in beer as a topic for discussion then OK,that's fair enough. It's cool. But it really surprises me.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 12:54:11
I seldom drink beer anymore. I lost the taste for it years ago. I may have the occasional beer when convenient, but it's been years since I've had any in the house.

If I go to a function that has beer and wine available, I'm more apt to have wine.

Supposedly Cleveland is a hot spot for craft brews.

.... now bourbon, on the other hand ....
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#4New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 12:59:54
@Jennifer1984 Said

I'm rather surprised that nobody has anything to say about beer.

Doesn't anybody out there drink beer...? Is there really zero interest in the subject...?

I posted the same topic on an LGBT site I frequent and it's had more than 100 posts since yesterday. Not that I put it here for attention, but I thought there really would be some interest in the subject.

If there really is zero interest in beer as a topic for discussion then OK,that's fair enough. It's cool. But it really surprises me.

In Camp Lemonier Djibouti, I had something called Franziskaner Bräu München or "Drunk Monk." Some of the cases went bad and were hitherto known as Skunk Drunk Monk.

I don't go ham with the booze much, but I'll have a pint now and again.

Great post BTW.

A cooler truck
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 17:04:53
I never really enjoyed the taste of beer. Or any alcoholic drink to be honest, with the exception of cocktails, but that is of course due to all the flavoring and sweeteners that often go in cocktails.

I do get the affect of mild amounts of alcohol on the mood and understand why people like to drink as a result in social gatherings or even a bar, after dinner, whatnot, and I won’t say no myself to one if offered.

But it’s just a taste I could never get into. And, believe me, I’ve tried.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 17:56:55
I’ve never been able to drink beer because of the smell.
As in impressionable child, my parents had a job managing/cleaning for a local fraternal organization that rented the hall for parties. I tagged along because I was an only kid and it was easier than a babysitter. I learned cool skills like working a cash register at a consession stand, pouring and replaceing cokes in fountain drink machine. I could also pour beer from a tap, but technically couldn’t do it at events.
It also meant I’ve walked into a hall the morning after a 300 person party with beer and cigarettes. The beer stench was terrible. We did start pouring out the beer and other drinks at the end of the night, but that was still pretty gross.

I went straight to drinking hard liquor and still prefer it, though I don’t drink very often anymore.

We have lots of breweries and craft beer in town, and I’d like to give it try but I just can’t get it down.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 18:05:23
I used to like beer.

Somewhere along the line I became allergic to something in the beer (hops? yeast? ...?), so now I don't drink it.
Side note: Same thing happened with wine (sulfites?).

Sad... there used to be a great bear bar in the Washington, DC area (something like the Brick house... it had hundreds of beers from all around the world. If you drank a certain number of them, you were given plaque... or something... I never made as the allergies had begun to take over... I think I tended to like the Ales.

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 18:24:14
@chaski Said

I used to like beer.

Somewhere along the line I became allergic to something in the beer (hops? yeast? ...?), so now I don't drink it.
Side note: Same thing happened with wine (sulfites?).

Sad... there used to be a great bear bar in the Washington, DC area (something like the Brick house... it had hundreds of beers from all around the world. If you drank a certain number of them, you were given plaque... or something... I never made as the allergies had begun to take over... I think I tended to like the Ales.

There's a restaurant/bar chain around here that does "Tour of Beers". Drink so many different beers and get stuff at different levels.
One of the main goals is 100 different beers in a year and you get a nice bomber jacket.

The 2019 Tour of Beers is here and we have an incredible list of beers throughout the year including a larger rotational bottle list and a new and improved Tour of Beers app to keep track of your current tour and look over your Tour of Beers history.

...Reach 150 or more beers for 2019 and you’ll be entered for a chance to go to either Duvel in Brussels, Belgium or Weihenstephan in Munich, Germany.

Winking Lizard Tavern.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#9New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 19:43:42
I drink beer but only for the taste, not the effect. Ok, I drink for effect too. It gets me through the day.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#10New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 19:58:32
@mrmhead Said

There's a restaurant/bar chain around here that does "Tour of Beers". Drink so many different beers and get stuff at different levels.
One of the main goals is 100 different beers in a year and you get a nice bomber jacket.

The 2019 Tour of Beers is here and we have an incredible list of beers throughout the year including a larger rotational bottle list and a new and improved Tour of Beers app to keep track of your current tour and look over your Tour of Beers history.

...Reach 150 or more beers for 2019 and you’ll be entered for a chance to go to either Duvel in Brussels, Belgium or Weihenstephan in Munich, Germany.

Winking Lizard Tavern.

Nice... but I need a Tequila joint like that.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#11New Post! Feb 28, 2019 @ 23:54:21
As a rule I'd rather lick the sweat from the anus of moderately fresh road kill than drink beer, but when it's been particularly hot and dusty (which does happen around here), beer is better than the proverbial angel giving your tonsils a golden shower.

I am a bourbon drinker, though I'll happily do tequila, and every now and then a vodka or 7, especially when I'm in collusion mode.

My preferred beers come from a little place lost in the wormhole of time that we call Taswegia.

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! Mar 01, 2019 @ 01:54:51
@chaski Said

Nice... but I need a Tequila joint like that.

Winking Lizard does have a "Whisky Bar"

...I'd have to arrange for a RT Taxi ride for the night out
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#13New Post! Mar 01, 2019 @ 01:57:21
@mrmhead Said

Winking Lizard does have a "Whisky Bar"

...I'd have to arrange for a RT Taxi ride for the night out

Now that is some useful information!

NE, Ohio
#14New Post! Mar 01, 2019 @ 02:00:34
@chaski Said

Now that is some useful information!

Let me know if you ever cruise by NEOH (Lake Erie has some wonderful tributaries ...so I hear)
Edit: Watershed

We'll share a taxi fare

(blue dress optional)
Darkman666 On about 4 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Mar 01, 2019 @ 02:01:48
have you wonder why the beer look like pee?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs