The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Because "Illegal Immigrants" is too mainstream...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:25:44
Governor O'Malley (Maryland) has adopted a new, more politically correct term for immigrants (both legal and illegal:

New Americans

In my opinion, another case of PC going way too far..

Okay. I can maybe understand that term being used for legal immigrants, because as far as I'm concerned, they've done the proper steps to becoming a citizen of America. An American.
As far as illegals go, no. I wouldn't call them Americans. I don't think that where you simply reside is what you should be referred to. For instance, if I went over and got a place in France, I wouldn't then call myself French.

https://cnsnews.com/news/article/maryland-s-democratic-governor-calls-illegal-immigrants-new-americans
(yes, I know the article is from 2010, but now we have a "Coucil for New Americans" that just picking up speed in recent months..)
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#2New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:27:53
What's wrong with "New Americans"???
Cinnamon On April 21, 2012

USA,
#3New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:30:42
@Kristy69 Said

Governor O'Malley (Maryland) has adopted a new, more politically correct term for immigrants (both legal and illegal:

New Americans

Okay. I can maybe understand that term being used for legal immigrants, because as far as I'm concerned, they've done the proper steps to becoming a citizen of America. An American.
As far as illegals go, no. I wouldn't call them Americans. I don't think that where you simply reside is what you should be referred to. For instance, if I went over and got a place in France, I wouldn't then call myself French.

https://cnsnews.com/news/article/maryland-s-democratic-governor-calls-illegal-immigrants-new-americans
(yes, I know the article is from 2010, but now we have a "Coucil for New Americans" that just picking up speed in recent months..)

I agree - illegals are not Americans, they're spongers who aren't here legally. I'm not surprised this is coming from MD.
Carly's Mommy

#4New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:30:44
@BozieFozie Said

I mean, I really don't care (in the grand scheme of things I really don't). But I wouldn't go as far as using it for people who aren't legal immigrants. Like I said, if I go buy a house in France and stay there for a while, I'm not going to call myself French.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#5New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:31:33
@BozieFozie Said

If'n ya aint't an American, ya can't be a new American 'til ya becomes an American.
Carly's Mommy

#6New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:32:20
@Cinnamon Said

I agree - illegals are not Americans, they're spongers who aren't here legally. I'm not surprised this is coming from MD.

I love my state... most of the time.
Some of the people in our government just really need to go. I wanted Bob Erlich for governor anyway. Even though Governor O'Malley is a friend of the family, so shh...
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#7New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:34:41
Well, this article confuses me. I think O'Malley seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth. On one hand, he condemns illegal immigrants, and on the other hand he says they're not the cause of all the problems in the government today. Which is it, Gov????
Carly's Mommy

#8New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:36:10
@BozieFozie Said

Well, this article confuses me. I think O'Malley seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth. On one hand, he condemns illegal immigrants, and on the other hand he says they're not the cause of all the problems in the government today. Which is it, Gov????

Yeah, he does that a lot. Welcome to Maryland!

USA,
#9New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:36:43
@Kristy69 Said

I love my state... most of the time.
Some of the people in our government just really need to go. I wanted Bob Erlich for governor anyway. Even though Governor O'Malley is a friend of the family, so shh...

I imagine he'd be a great Governor for St. Patrick's day!

Were the streets mandatory green?

USA,
#10New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:38:35
@hoppy Said

If'n ya aint't an American, ya can't be a new American 'til ya becomes an American.

We got a winner!
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#11New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:39:00
@Kristy69 Said

Yeah, he does that a lot. Welcome to Maryland!

He's not alone! We have a governor who does that ALL THE TIME!!!
Carly's Mommy

#12New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:41:46
@Cinnamon Said

I imagine he'd be a great Governor for St. Patrick's day!

Were the streets mandatory green?

Actually, that's one way that he's a friend of the family. Every year my grandmother rents out a suite downtown to celebrate St. Patricks Day (her parents came off the boat, she's very much into her heritage so she goes all out) and like, 4 years ago O'Malley just started showing up. I dunno why or how but he's been over for her house for dinner before. Another way is because I did Youth Government for 3 years and he pretty much sponsored the whole thing so we've talked a lot and it was basically "Oh, how's Mrs. Pat doing?"

And no, the streets aren't mandatory green. It wouldn't be fair to the other heritages.
Carly's Mommy

#13New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:44:31
@BozieFozie Said

He's not alone! We have a governor who does that ALL THE TIME!!!

He and Baltimore City's mayor (who is a trip all in herself) thought by changing the names of inner city schools and giving them cool slogans would help reduce violence in school and promote more education.

You can't just take Southern High where a teacher got beat up with a 4x4, turn it into "Friends Academy" and everything will be all hunky-dory
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:58:23
@Kristy69 Said

New Americans

What term would you use to encompass both legal and illegal immigrants?

It seems to me that this isn't some PC replacement for an existing term, but a totally new term. "Immigrants" by itself implies illegal immigrants.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:59:59
@BozieFozie Said

There's no contradiction there.

I can condemn pedophiles. At the same time I can say that pedophiles aren't the cause of all society's problems.

Something can be very bad without being the cause of all our problems.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs