Banning children's books....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#1New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 17:14:34
Amazon\'s list of banned books and explanations....

I looked this list over, since a coworker in the library mentioned they were putting some of these books up in our library. I can't believe why these are banned.

Some books included in the list are:
-Hatchet
-Harriet the Spy
-Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
-Catcher in the Rye
-Lord of the Flies
-The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
-Bridge to Terabithia
-The Indian in the Cupboard
-Julie of the Wolves
-James and the Giant Peach
-The Little House Collection
-Harry Potter collection
-The Giver
-The Giving Tree

and much more...

I've read many of these as a child and they didn't turn me into a horrible person. I actually think they shaped me into a better person, to know that there are things in the world that we should learn from and know about. Some of these books are pure fiction and they let the child have more of a imagination. Some of these books are even award winners.

I think all kids should read these books, you just need to judge what a good age would be until they can read them. To limit or censor books just because they may offend some people is to essentially limit everyone from knowledge and personal improvement.

What do you think?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 17:23:18
It's my opinion that this is how they retard much of the masses; Throw in the fact of all the garbage/nuditity, violence, etc..that is shown with no problem on television each day.
Simply insulting!
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#3New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 17:27:12
@sTreetAngeL Said

It's my opinion that this is how they retard much of the masses; Throw in the fact of all the garbage/nuditity, violence, etc..that is shown with no problem on television each day.
Simply insulting!

Exacty!

I mean if you're going to ban books because they deal with sorcery, crude language, horrible acts of violence, etc., then you need to be equal to all "children's" literature and you should ban Shakespeare.
smblomker On May 02, 2011

Newark, Ohio
#4New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 17:27:59
banning books is stupid. Its just another way of someone telling us that we shouldn't read certain things. Parents should always have a say in what their kids read or anything else. But, banning books is stupid in my opinion.
Electric_Banana On about 8 hours ago

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 17:36:59
The Giving Tree depressed the s*** out of me when I was a kid.

But not sure why Amazon - world's largest bookseller would advocate banning of literature.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 17:58:25
Amazon hasn't and isn't banning these books.

It is simply a list of books that have been banned in the past in places (possibly still are in some places). Lists like this are available in many places, and a lot of these are very famous for being banned at one point.

It even has them for sale below. Clicking on the title will take you to the sale page, and many of them even have the 'look inside' option.
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#7New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 18:00:10
@Electric_Banana Said

The Giving Tree depressed the s*** out of me when I was a kid.

But not sure why Amazon - world's largest bookseller would advocate banning of literature.

I don't believe they were banning literature, it's just a list of the books that have been banned in the country. At the bottom of the list, it shows all the books that are banned and how much they cost if you want to buy them.

I just put Amazon's list on there cause I didn't want to search online for the actual full list.

****Edit... I didn't see Ninozara's post before I posted... sorry!

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 18:01:17
In fact, it isn't even written by Amazon, but by a user as a guide to banned books...

Quote:
So you'd like to... Read Banned Children's Books

A guide by Cheshire Cat (Vero Beach, FL)

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 18:06:48
@drummerwannabe Said

I don't believe they were banning literature, it's just a list of the books that have been banned in the country. At the bottom of the list, it shows all the books that are banned and how much they cost if you want to buy them.

I just put Amazon's list on there cause I didn't want to search online for the actual full list.

Haha, it's ok.

I did notice that some of those explanations said the books were banned by schools. And I can get behind that - depending on the age of the children in school and the book. You wouldn't be happy if your 10 year old brought home a Jackie Collins book would you?

A bit different, but my Mum forbid be from reading Watership Down until I was about 10 - because she was worried it would upset me.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#10New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 18:28:34
How does Little House get on a ban list? How much more goodie-goodie can books get?
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#11New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 20:27:58
@chisa96 Said

How does Little House get on a ban list? How much more goodie-goodie can books get?

Evidently they disrespect Native Americans in those books.
Electric_Banana On about 8 hours ago

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 22:11:43
@drummerwannabe Said

Ah, I see.

I think I can understand why some of these would be taken far away from the children's department in some stores but not banned all together.

The Giving Tree was about a tree that kept giving pieces of itself to a boy, during his lifetime, for fire wood, food, playing in and finally building his house until there was nothing left of it to give but its stump for him to sit on.

I think it was written in favor of saving forests and using wood resources wisely but it came off as really sentimental and heavily saddening. Definitely wouldn't give it to a child to read whom has just recently lost a parent.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#13New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 22:25:26
Some of the reasons for banning books are dumb imo, and many of these are books I checked out of the school library when I read them years ago. I loved Judy Blume, and several were books we were required to read. I understand what someone said about Jackie Collins, but "A Day No Pigs Would Die?" We read that in 9th grade as a class. "Of Mice and Men" really made me think, too. Even though Lenny was killed in a mercy killing, I don't think the book promotes euthanasia. He was going to be tortured to death, and his friend (can't remember his name) wanted to spare him the suffering so killed him quickly.

I think at most schools should have a "requires parental permission" section for these books. I do hope these books can still be found in public libraries and that students utilize public libraries.
jisu1234 On April 22, 2011

chino hills, California
#14New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 23:41:40
All those books have no right to be banned, how outrageous that a library is actually banning those books, in fact i have read every single one of those books and they contain almost nothing at all. I wonder what kind of reason they used to ban them, were they too interesting? for when i read those books as a child, they were the only thing that helped my imagination grow and wonder. Ridiculus, ban books that have 'bad' subjects instead of banned easy television commercials that basically have half nude people walking around? If I were there, I would file a complaint for those unreasonable bans
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Apr 21, 2011 @ 23:45:11
That link doesn't tell why, just which ones are banned in SOME places.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs