2012 Olympics

Badminton Players Disqualified

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 12:16:38
The Badminton World Federation has disqualified eight players after accusing them of "not using one's best efforts to win".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677

According to the radio they were really obvious about it too.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 12:23:21
@Silver_Lining Said

The Badminton World Federation has disqualified eight players after accusing them of "not using one's best efforts to win".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677

According to the radio they were really obvious about it too.

That's so stupid.. If you're the best, then you're the best.. If you're not, manipulating the games so you move ahead still means that you're going to lose in the end.

Play the game with all you've got, and let the best man win.. That's what the Olympics are supposed to be about.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 13:31:08
@boxerdc Said

That's so stupid.. If you're the best, then you're the best.. If you're not, manipulating the games so you move ahead still means that you're going to lose in the end.

Play the game with all you've got, and let the best man win.. That's what the Olympics are supposed to be about.

Well the Chinese players were the best. They are the world champions.

It's always better if you can set yourself for an easier match in the middle of a tournament. Throwing matches is pretty sad though.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 17:08:12
I saw a clip of one of the matches - it's soooo obvious and do ridiculous it was funny. Just find a clip online if you haven't already watched it!
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#5New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 18:16:46
I didn't even realize they had badminton in the Olympics.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 18:25:05
I don't think what they did was that bad to be honest. If the sport is organised in such a way where there is an advantage in losing then that is a flaw in the organisation, can they really be surprised that the sports people are doing everything possible to increase their chances of winning the event?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Aug 01, 2012 @ 18:37:38
@jmo Said

I don't think what they did was that bad to be honest. If the sport is organised in such a way where there is an advantage in losing then that is a flaw in the organisation, can they really be surprised that the sports people are doing everything possible to increase their chances of winning the event?

The organization was bad. That doesn't mean it's acceptable to tank Olympics matches because the system is easy to game.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#8New Post! Aug 02, 2012 @ 22:49:51
@jonnythan Said

Well the Chinese players were the best. They are the world champions.

It's always better if you can set yourself for an easier match in the middle of a tournament. Throwing matches is pretty sad though.

I tried to find online and could not and I thought perhaps you might know and could please explain to me. This was round robin,yes? I am confused because here for hockey tournament we do round robin and how it works is that they set it up so you will not throw a game because if you lose, its harder to win the next game. So I do not understand how losing makes it easier to win with how most round robins are set up. Thank you if you are able to explain to me because I do not get it.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#9New Post! Aug 02, 2012 @ 22:58:05
@DorkySupergirl Said

I tried to find online and could not and I thought perhaps you might know and could please explain to me. This was round robin,yes? I am confused because here for hockey tournament we do round robin and how it works is that they set it up so you will not throw a game because if you lose, its harder to win the next game. So I do not understand how losing makes it easier to win with how most round robins are set up. Thank you if you are able to explain to me because I do not get it.

In this case it would have been easier to win because it would have put the two best teams head to head, and with one of them out of the finals, a less qualified team would have had the chance to medal.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#10New Post! Aug 02, 2012 @ 23:00:49
@boxerdc Said

In this case it would have been easier to win because it would have put the two best teams head to head, and with one of them out of the finals, a less qualified team would have had the chance to medal.

Thank you. I totally misunderstood then and thought by losing it would allow them to face someone not as good as them meaning an easier win that way and that is the part I was not getting.
Soolin On August 05, 2012

Banned

Rendlesham, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 02:23:39
My dad says that if they had the olympics as just the best person and not silly team things, then this wouldn't happen.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#12New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 02:34:20
@Soolin Said

My dad says that if they had the olympics as just the best person and not silly team things, then this wouldn't happen.

silly team things? wth
so sports should only be played by individuals?
Soolin On August 05, 2012

Banned

Rendlesham, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 04, 2012 @ 02:51:02
@floydgirrl Said

silly team things? wth
so sports should only be played by individuals?

Faster, Higher, Stronger. Teams are about compromise, not the best.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs