Atheism to overcome religion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...15 16 17 · >>
xLETHAL_VIXENx On January 22, 2015
Logical Alien

Your pants, United States (gen
#1New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:07:34
As said by Albert Einstein, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." Though wise words, I would have to disagree, a world without religion would be grand!

https://mysticpolitics.com/atheism-vs-religion-the-final-countdown/
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:10:58
Well if you want to try and overthrow the Pope, crack on but leave me out. If you want to overthrow the muslims, crack on but leave me out. If you want to oppose the Church of Stan, crack on but leave me out.

I aint gunna live forever so Im just gunna enjoy what I got in life. I dont wanna start a revolution.
Logical Alien

#3New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:16:42
I want to live and enjoy life, but I also want to make sure future generations get the best. I honestly think this would be great for our future.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:21:51
I would rather keep christmas and easter for our future generations. ALthough these are widely accepted by everyone, well muslims and jehovahs witnesses dont celebrate them I dont think, they are actually still religious celebrations.

It always winds me up when Atheists complain about having to work christmas.

So if we abolished religion we would abolish these celebrations, as what would we actually be celebrating. Also most laws are based on the ten commanments, thou shalt not murder and all that. WIthout religion these would not have any real backing.

Also Sunday, the day of rest. Or friday, for muslims. These are religious days, endorsed by chhurches and what not, sure non christians enjoy the sundays off, but without religion, why would we have a sunday off.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:25:50
And without the hope of there being a god out there, and a meaning for us to actually exist, what will people have to base any faith on. People will just turn to alchohol and drigs as you will have destroyed the one thing that that gives them hope and belief for there existance. SUre some people dont believe it, it has never been proven, but some people need something to believe in. So they dont worry about death too much. Again if you want to destroy peoples hopes and faiths that get them through life, crack on but leave me out.
Logical Alien

#6New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:26:31
I think without the 10 commandments, there still would be "real backing". It's common sense to not kill, no one needs religion to be a good person, they just need a good brain. I hate holidays, they are pointless in my family. We do not celebrate anything but birthdays, it's inconvenient for us when we want something on certain days but turns out it's a holiday and they're closed. It actually really pisses me off.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:27:54
Science and religion should be mutually exclusive as science works on the premise that nothing is taken at facevalue. That's not to say that the world should be without religion though. It provides meaning to millions of people and religious holidays like christmas even make non-believers happy, which is no bad thing.

I think truth should always be the focal point, but if people want to learn about morality and values then religion is a great tool to use. Plus it provides the world with art, music, etc.
Logical Alien

#8New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:28:16
@townie_guy Said

And without the hope of there being a god out there, and a meaning for us to actually exist, what will people have to base any faith on. People will just turn to alchohol and drigs as you will have destroyed the one thing that that gives them hope and belief for there existance. SUre some people dont believe it, it has never been proven, but some people need something to believe in. So they dont worry about death too much. Again if you want to destroy peoples hopes and faiths that get them through life, crack on but leave me out.

LOL. No one is forcing you to join the cause, you're welcomed to your beliefs, just leave me out of it.
Logical Alien

#9New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:29:38
@sister_of_mercy Said

Science and religion should be mutually exclusive as science works on the premise that nothing is taken at facevalue. That's not to say that the world should be without religion though. It provides meaning to millions of people and religious holidays like christmas even make non-believers happy, which is no bad thing.

I think truth should always be the focal point, but if people want to learn about morality and values then religion is a great tool to use. Plus it provides the world with art, music, etc.

No, if people want to learn about morality and values, they need to look to a less violent source than the bible. The bible is NOT the book to learn morality and values from.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:30:59
What makes it common sense????? Its only because there is such a taboo that it is wrong that people dont do it.

Look at animals, they fight for survival to mate. They survive, the species survives, they probably do better than us as humans, they dont fight wars or anythimng. They just have a survival of the fittest policy.

Its only because of religious veiws being around for so long, that we have them ingrained into society. AGain they are religious veiws.

Look at muslims, they kill and what not, for little things as there religion states it is ok, such as homosexuality and infidelity and theft. So really we should be quite thankful that we have a religious society really.

If a cat kills a cat. Or a dog kills a dog. Does anyone arrest that animal, does it get punished. No. What makes us so different so special, we are just another species of animal at the end of the day. Oh thats right, RELIGION.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:33:09
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

No, if people want to learn about morality and values, they need to look to a less violent source than the bible. The bible is NOT the book to learn morality and values from.

OK give me a non violent source for a way of life, that has no religious backing what so ever. SO that discludes wicca as well as that is a religion.

Im not saying the whole bible as I do have difficulty believing some of it due to science.

However the Ten Commandments are what I believe does make christian society a lot better than say a muslim society.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:35:23
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

I meant in terms of the main one, i.e. do unto others, be charitable, etc. I didn't mean the Bible particularly, but in terms of its teaching through parables and stories with morals. You can draw a parallel with tales like the hare and the tortoise or whatever if you want a secular version.

But religious or not you do learn about how to act in a good way from reading religious texts. They all share similar values when it comes to the big stuff. I learnt from the whole good samaritan thing when I was a kid and I was always atheist. As long as it teaches people to be good then it shouldn't matter where they get it from, as long as they act in a morally acceptable fashion. To be more strict and eliminate religion would seem a bit overly authoritarian.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:38:13
@sister_of_mercy Said

I meant in terms of the main one, i.e. do unto others, be charitable, etc. I didn't mean the Bible particularly, but in terms of its teaching through parables and stories with morals. You can draw a parallel with tales like the hare and the tortoise or whatever if you want a secular version.

But religious or not you do learn about how to act in a good way from reading religious texts. They all share similar values when it comes to the big stuff. I learnt from the whole good samaritan thing when I was a kid and I was always atheist. As long as it teaches people to be good then it shouldn't matter where they get it from, as long as they act in a morally acceptable fashion. To be more strict and eliminate religion would seem a bit overly authoritarian.

If we had an atheist society, then these parables and what not would not exist and over the generations people would forget about them.

Why do people want to be GOOD anyway, at some deep down level they are peobably still scared of hell or something similar. With no hope, belief or faith, as would be an atheist society, then why would people care???
Logical Alien

#14New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:39:22
Religion didn't tell me not to kill my husband because he's an a** sometimes, my brain did. Actually, not even because there is a law against murder did I decide not to kill anyone. It's all in my brain that I know it's wrong to murder without real cause. If there was no law against murder, I'd murder only someone who murdered someone in my family.

Religion may be why you don't go out and kill people, the law may be why some people don't go out and kill, but common sense is the reason why I don't go out and kill. We don't use "Survival of the fittest" anymore unless you're the homeless. Murderers are usually the mentally ill or the poor, not perfectly sane people who haven't read the bible.

Right and wrong is embedded in my head by using reason. During a fight, I'll dodge punches, that's using logic and reason. The bible didn't tell me I should dodge punches, my brain did. If you're not a law breaker because of religion, I feel bad for you, brah. Use your brain, you'll go far.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jun 22, 2012 @ 00:40:09
Your husband. Was that a religious wedding?????
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...15 16 17 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs