The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

At what age do children stop taking things literally?...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
dark_angel1715 On February 27, 2013

hell GFY, Missouri
#1New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:38:43
...and other things kids do that adults don't? For instance, a 6 y/o think someone getting fired from a job means he got set on fire. I'm like...ok. And when do they start having the social graces of an adult? Like knowing when to stop talking. I was gonna merge while driving and a 5 y/o on the back seat started talking about the GPS w/ water being blue, parks, being green, etc.

Depending on my mood, sometimes I wanna laugh at their antics and sometimes I get annoyed.
noseycow On September 03, 2015
x dippy madam x

\"proud blackcountry wench\",
#2New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:41:08
i dunno my sons 20, me and me hub on holiday once, we said come on lets play poker, my son said i'm not taking my clothes off, god knows where he picked that up from he was about 8,
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#3New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:41:29
Different kids develop at different rates. I can't speak for everyone, but my daughter is 6. If I told her I got fired, she would ask me what that meant.

Knowing when to stop talking? That's kind of a totally different issue. I still have to tell mine "SHHHHH" three or four times even though she knows she's not supposed to talk to me while I'm on the phone.

To the best of my knowledge, merging isn't something you need silence for. You should be looking at traffic, not listening to it.
johnywadd On June 06, 2011

Deleted

brisbane, Australia
#4New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:44:33
they don't, once they stop taking things you say literally, they literally start taking things such as drugs, the parents car, money off of the parents
x dippy madam x

#5New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:45:13
@someone_else Said

Different kids develop at different rates. I can't speak for everyone, but my daughter is 6. If I told her I got fired, she would ask me what that meant.

Knowing when to stop talking? That's kind of a totally different issue. I still have to tell mine "SHHHHH" three or four times even though she knows she's not supposed to talk to me while I'm on the phone.

To the best of my knowledge, merging isn't something you need silence for. You should be looking at traffic, not listening to it.

we used to have quiet time, when my son was little, about half hour before he went to bed, so he'd relax, he'd write me signs and hold them up, theres no shutting them up, but when they get to there late teens, you crave them to sit down and have a good talk, and i absolutely love it, and i think, yeah, i did a good job there,x
x dippy madam x

#6New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:45:42
@johnywadd Said

they don't, once they stop taking things you say literally, they literally start taking things such as drugs, the parents car, money off of the parents

money oh yeah, bank of mom and dad,
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:47:37
@noseycow Said

we used to have quiet time, when my son was little, about half hour before he went to bed, so he'd relax, he'd write me signs and hold them up, theres no shutting them up, but when they get to there late teens, you crave them to sit down and have a good talk, and i absolutely love it, and i think, yeah, i did a good job there,x

I don't think mine is quite old enough to do the sign writing thing. Or...if she did I'd have to read it quite literally. She can read and spell some words, but she takes liberties with others.

TRIFIC = terrific
SISRS = scissors

x dippy madam x

#8New Post! May 17, 2011 @ 18:49:08
@someone_else Said

I don't think mine is quite old enough to do the sign writing thing. Or...if she did I'd have to read it quite literally. She can read and spell some words, but she takes liberties with others.

TRIFIC = terrific
SISRS = scissors

all i can say its a good job my son took after his dad
dark_angel1715 On February 27, 2013

hell GFY, Missouri
#9New Post! May 18, 2011 @ 15:49:20
@noseycow Said

When I was 6 and soemone told me he got fired, I was like, "Holy s***. What did you do?" lol
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs