Are you a feminist?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#31New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:26:24
Along gender lines, much the same as I am along most lines of human affairs, I am an egalitarian.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:56:20
I want gender equality, of course, but I think one of the things that really gets in the way is the continued acceptance of gender roles: cultural presumptions about the way men and women should behave. A lot of people still seem to think these are 'natural' rather than socially constructed.

The most important contribution to the debate that radical feminist theorists can make is to break down our most fundamental assumptions about gender. I think it's an oversimplification to suppose there are 'militant' feminists who hate men and then there are the good feminists who don't kick up a fuss and just want equality. The world would be a poorer place if all feminists were well-behaved and likeable - they're not bloody supposed to be. We need the destructive criticism as much as the constructive diplomacy.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#34New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 18:12:37
Yes. But I'm a lazy one and my views are summarized here: https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Feminism/436889
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 19:53:59
I think I'm pretty ignorant regarding all the various "feminisms" listed in the OP, all I've ever read in any sort of detail have been "feminist" theologians seeking to right the perceived wrongs of the Patriarchal Christian Church (plus another on "post patriarchal Buddhism" by Rita Gross) and I certainly had much sympathy for most of the views expressed, and agreement with most of the historical judgements made.

On the wider front, it seems incredible now to think that women did not even have the right to vote in the UK less than 100 years ago. And it seems obvious to me that, generally speaking, civilisation has suffered because of what could be called male domination in terms of the various "expressions of power" throughout history. But really, that's more something I would need to gen up on to have a genuine argument.

One thing I would say is that I usually feel sorrow for those women who, by observation of their lives and actions, seem to think that aping the age old stupidities of men - now they have the freedom and opportunity to do so - constitutes some sort of liberation. They merely exchange one set of chains for a another - at least to my eyes.

Obviously, men and women ARE different, and any genuine liberation would involve being true to ones own potential. This for men as well as women. I suppose its a case of knowing exactly what those potentials are, beyond social norms imposed by mere convention.

Anyway, "the wife" is calling, must have forgotten the washing up.......
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#37New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 19:58:55
I just do not understand the women who say they want equal right but then expect that because they are a woman, the door should be held open for them or its up to the man to pay for the date. If you want equal rights, why can't you pay for the date or hold the door open? People should be polite and hold the door open and things like that but not always because one is a woman but because its the polite thing to do.
lilbug On June 30, 2011

Deleted

Collins, Missouri
#38New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:32:33
@DorkySupergirl Said

I just do not understand the women who say they want equal right but then expect that because they are a woman, the door should be held open for them or its up to the man to pay for the date. If you want equal rights, why can't you pay for the date or hold the door open? People should be polite and hold the door open and things like that but not always because one is a woman but because its the polite thing to do.

Ha! The idea that man should to open a door for me has always baffled me. No one asked me if I wanted that?! I'm all for sharing the costs of social events, especially in these economic times and especially now that more women are in the work force.

Now, if a guy wants to tune up my car for me or fix my leaking pipe in the sink...hey, I'm all for it....I'll fix him dinner and we can both do the dishes!
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#39New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:36:39
@lilbug Said

Ha! The idea that man should to open a door for me has always baffled me. No one asked me if I wanted that?! I'm all for sharing the costs of social events, especially in these economic times and especially now that more women are in the work force.

Now, if a guy wants to tune up my car for me or fix my leaking pipe in the sink...hey, I'm all for it....I'll fix him dinner and we can both do the dishes!

I'm a polite person, I hold the door for everyone because its the polite thing to do. I will wait for someone to get to the door too. I will offer to pay my half of everything as well. I do this not because I am trying to prove I am an equal but because I am polite and try my best to just treat everyone with respect.

I do know women who spend half their time talking about how the world still views women as being less equal then fast forward to the weekend and the same women talk about how they are not paying for da date because they are women and that is the man jobs.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#40New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:41:08
@lilbug Said

Ha! The idea that man should to open a door for me has always baffled me. No one asked me if I wanted that?!

I've always disliked that. I'll get to a door and open it and my husband will run up and press the door open right above my head expecting me to go in first. Of course, now I have to awkwardly duck under his arm and squeeze by him just to get out. Why would it be so awful and/or difficult for him to just walk through the door?

And then of course, in a lot of places, when you enter the first door there is another set of doors. Do I have to stand here and wait for you to get that one too?
lilbug On June 30, 2011

Deleted

Collins, Missouri
#41New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:50:56
@someone_else Said

I've always disliked that. I'll get to a door and open it and my husband will run up and press the door open right above my head expecting me to go in first. Of course, now I have to awkwardly duck under his arm and squeeze by him just to get out. Why would it be so awful and/or difficult for him to just walk through the door?

And then of course, in a lot of places, when you enter the first door there is another set of doors. Do I have to stand here and wait for you to get that one too?

Ha! I don't know, I think a lot of guys are afraid after all the fuss feminists have made, that they might get decked if they don't open the door for us.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#42New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 21:54:50
@lilbug Said

Ha! I don't know, I think a lot of guys are afraid after all the fuss feminists have made, that they might get decked if they don't open the door for us.

Mine does it because he feels like it makes him look like a jerk if I open the door for him. So evidently, strangers opinions (that they may or may not have) outweigh mine (which I have told him clearly).
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#43New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 01:44:18
@boobagins Said

I will disagree with you right here. History and statistical data do not show that both men and women are equally abused in domestic violence. While I will agree that there is a lot of mis-information, I don't think it's right to cast a negative light on the movement because emphasis has been placed females.

Here is a great article that actually address that:

https://www.blogher.com/feminism-and-humanism-and-progressivism-oh-my

I tracked down those stats and they are from The Department of Justice which makes me think they are almost certainly from conviction or charge rates, which ironically any good feminist would tell you are usually inaccurate.

I think this longitudinal self-report/victimisation study gives a far more accurate picture of the state of domestic abuse. https://ajph.aphapublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/97/5/941

The excerpt from the blog also seems to imply that humanists don't think that funding should go towards where it is needed which is absurd. My question is, what is the feminist response to the disproportionate amount of men in prison?
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#44New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 02:08:14
@lilbug Said

I think most guys who do that are just genuinely being polite. I have never thought "what, he thinks I can't do it?!". I don't expect it, but when it happens I think it is courteous. That is the part about feminism I honestly don't like. I don't want to get bent out of shape over things that are done quite innocently and with the intent of being nice, not with the intent of thinking I can't do it myself.

And on that note, I always hold the door for people too, male or female. It's just something I think is courteous if I walk in first. Not that I don't think they can do it themselves.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#45New Post! Jun 23, 2011 @ 02:10:06
@lilbug Said

This is probably true.

Feminism I think confuses the hell out of men, and rightfully so. I think for the most part it was created by a bunch of over bearing women. I am not passive myself, but I pick my battles and some of the battles they choose to scream about just are not all that serious to me. lol I like men. I don't see them as the enemy. LOL
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs