Religion & Philosophy

Are you a feminist?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:43:57
I think traditionally speaking it did treat women as subordinate, especially with things like dowries that made it seem like a business transaction rather than a union. It's still treated that way in some parts of the world which is sad, but in the Western world anyway I think the meaning of marriage has changed a lot since then.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:47:00
@sister_of_mercy Said

I think traditionally speaking it did treat women as subordinate, especially with things like dowries that made it seem like a business transaction rather than a union. It's still treated that way in some parts of the world which is sad, but in the Western world anyway I think the meaning of marriage has changed a lot since then.

I think certain people look at women they are married to as their property, which is horrible, but I think it is the minority. I don't believe most people have those archaic views in the UK any more and I don't believe that just because a minority of people hold those ideas that therefore all examples of marriage are wrong by association.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 16:56:20
@someone_else Said

A cuppa STFU?

J/K

Charming! Spose it's not worth me asking what's for dinner then

As for the topic...

I prefer equality to any positive discrimination. Be that race, sex, age and so on.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#20New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:02:59
@davii Said

Charming! Spose it's not worth me asking what's for dinner then

As for the topic...

I prefer equality to any positive discrimination. Be that race, sex, age and so on.

As for your response to the topic...

I agree. I think positive discrimination actually makes matters worse because then, you have people thinking (sometimes rightfully so) that you only got the job because you were a woman, minority, older person, etc.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#21New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:13:22
@someone_else Said

I think what Pleb's is getting at is that women shouldn't have to go out and work in order for feminism to "win".

I think I've mentioned it before but it always makes me think of the Family Guy scene where Lois is arguing with Gloria Ironbachs about why she doesn't work outside the home. Feminism is about choice.

No I understood perfectly what she meant. I was just stating that incidentally I'm still fighting for that first right to be go out and do what we want to do.

Feminism has moved forward so much that now if a woman wants to stay at home and NOT work, people look at them as setting women back which is not true.

I was just commenting, jeeze I wasn't disagreeing or arguing. Maybe it would help to say that some women are still fighting for rights that were given to women in western countries decades ago.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:13:50
@someone_else Said

As for your response to the topic...

I agree. I think positive discrimination actually makes matters worse because then, you have people thinking (sometimes rightfully so) that you only got the job because you were a woman, minority, older person, etc.

I can understand why it happens, but I feel that it merely goes around the problem, rather than addressing it directly.

I get annoyed about the sound bites in politics about all female short lists, along with how the number of women a particular party has within it's ranks etc - I want the right people doing the job, regardless of their sex and for the old boy mentality to be disappear so that anyone can compete fairly for the same opportunities, not some token offering that's intended to placate views towards it.
noseycow On September 03, 2015
x dippy madam x

\"proud blackcountry wench\",
#23New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:20:00
feminism to me means,having a grudge against men or feeling that she has something to prove. yeah we want the same rights as men, but these hairy women go to far in my opinion, well hairy i dunno but there does seem to be a lot of them slagging and putting down men, , i am a jo-ist
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:21:23
@noseycow Said

feminism to me means,having a grudge against men or feeling that she has something to prove. yeah we want the same rights as men, but these hairy women go to far in my opinion, well hairy i dunno but there does seem to be a lot of them slagging and putting down men, , i am a jo-ist

Nah, you're just a nutcase
noseycow On September 03, 2015
x dippy madam x

\"proud blackcountry wench\",
#25New Post! Jun 21, 2011 @ 17:23:57
@davii Said

Nah, you're just a nutcase

yeah maybe, nutism
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#27New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 01:47:03
I wouldn't really call myself a feminist because I think feminists only really tend to look at problems effecting women and ignore those facing men as if men have it better in society in every way. There are obviously a huge amount of grievances that women have like pay equity which are frequently spoken about. The grievances of males are often ignored for instance, we always hear about how ethnic minorities are over represented in prisons but how often do we hear about how over represented men are?

I think looking at domestic abuse demonstrates this really well. Despite the fact that domestic abuse happens about equally to both sexes, it has been turned into a feminist issue, as if men are never abused.

My argument is not trying to claim that men are bigger victims than women (as such arguments start to boil down to) but merely that both sides have grievances that should be discussed and addressed without having to neglect the others.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#28New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 01:49:48
Only when I'm attempting to get down a feminist's pants.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:09:04
I am much like you boob, I did consider myself feminist but that in itself is wrong. I am humanist. I feel that gender is not important and shouldnt be considered a factor in many things.
firebrand On February 21, 2012

, Australia
#30New Post! Jun 22, 2011 @ 07:24:15
how many fems does it take to change a light bulb ? feminism NEVER changed anything.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs