The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
US Election 2012

Are Republicans Good For The Middle Class?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#1New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 14:47:18
First of all let's define middle class. I would call that any household making more than $40000 a year and less than $100000. That also happens to be about 65% of America, with another 7-8% making more than that, and the remaining 25% or so making less.

Can anyone please explain to me how Romney and Ryan would be good for the American middle class?

I am asking this not as a trap. I am asking this as a truly undecided (but admittedly leaning Obama) voter. I voted for McCain last time, and do no regret it, but I am having a hard time reconciling the hard right turn the Republican party has taken with their rhetoric about being for the middle class.

I am eager to hear your responses.
chaski On about 4 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 15:01:21
Are Republicans Good For The Middle Class?

No.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 16:19:30
Keeping questioning. I think that is the prudent thing to do.
For me a Romney Presidency will prolly be a mix of returning to the same 'ol same 'ol that mainly got us into the current financial mess, or worse (as you stated) the turn to the right which is for un-funding & privatizing social networks while undoing decades of workers rights, environmental & public health gains while removing conservation & regulatory oversight. Couple all of that with the attempt to protect corporation over individual rights and giving even bigger tax breaks for the wealthy 7-8% meaning the rest of us pick up that tab!.

, Florida
#4New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 17:45:07
@shinobinoz Said

Keeping questioning. I think that is the prudent thing to do.
For me a Romney Presidency will prolly be a mix of returning to the same 'ol same 'ol that mainly got us into the current financial mess, or worse (as you stated) the turn to the right which is for un-funding & privatizing social networks while undoing decades of workers rights, environmental & public health gains while removing conservation & regulatory oversight. Couple all of that with the attempt to protect corporation over individual rights and giving even bigger tax breaks for the wealthy 7-8% meaning the rest of us pick up that tab!.

I appreciate the response, but I am hoping to hear from someone on the right about why someone in the middle class should vote for Romney/Ryan.

I'm not cynical enough to think that everyone who is planning on voting for these guys is just an idiot who doesn't know what is in their best interest.

I am looking for the positive reasons, not the negative ones. Those are well known.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 18:49:04
@drman321 Said

I appreciate the response, but I am hoping to hear from someone on the right about why someone in the middle class should vote for Romney/Ryan.

I'm not cynical enough to think that everyone who is planning on voting for these guys is just an idiot who doesn't know what is in their best interest.

I am looking for the positive reasons, not the negative ones. Those are well known.

Good questions.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 19:31:09
Providing tax cuts to the wealthy creates jobs for the middle class and keeps consumer prices low.

Reducing government spending ensures lesser debt burden and allows greater freedom to maintain lower taxes for both the job creaters and the middle class in the future.

A belief in a stronger military keeps us better protected from foreign threats including terrorism.

These are common reasons from the right that come off the top of my head.

, Florida
#7New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 19:52:06
@Leon Said

Providing tax cuts to the wealthy creates jobs for the middle class and keeps consumer prices low.

Reducing government spending ensures lesser debt burden and allows greater freedom to maintain lower taxes for both the job creaters and the middle class in the future.

A belief in a stronger military keeps us better protected from foreign threats including terrorism.

These are common reasons from the right that come off the top of my head.

So if I reject trickle down economics as a misunderstanding of how taxes work then there is no good economic reason to vote for Romney/Ryan?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 19:58:09
@drman321 Said

So if I reject trickle down economics as a misunderstanding of how taxes work then there is no good economic reason to vote for Romney/Ryan?

If it covers everything I mentioned then probably.

But I'm not a Republican, so I'm sure one can give you more reasons.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 22:05:12
Yeah- it's trickle down economics and it is not effect.
Reducing government spending has gone past the fat & muscle so that we are hitting bone. Anything further along those lines will be an amputation.
Keep in mind that we are AT historic tax lows. We have a much larger population that is growing older. The infrastructure that moves the economy along is old and crumbling. Since 1979 wages have remained totally flat. The ONLY people that have made money is the extreme wealthy who are making off like bandits.
Our military is funded the same as the REST of the world's military's combined.

I think the choice should be obvious.
We will see what the right wants to try out on us as to why they deserve a further look.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Aug 12, 2012 @ 22:54:48
@shinobinoz Said

Reducing government spending has gone past the fat & muscle so that we are hitting bone. Anything further along those lines will be an amputation.

I disagree, we can cut more. A LOT more. We don't need all that military spending and could probably do without the worthless Department of Education and war on drugs. I'm not a big fan of the welfare system the way it is now either.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 01:12:34
like i said before.
i'm voting republican so when i become rich like romney, i woun't have to pay my fair share.

Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 03:31:33
@Leon Said

I disagree, we can cut more. A LOT more. We don't need all that military spending and could probably do without the worthless Department of Education and war on drugs. I'm not a big fan of the welfare system the way it is now either.

I did point that out. The usa military gets as much money as the rest of the world combined.
Government numbers over the past 15 years are lower than the previous 43.
https://www.opm.gov/feddata/HistoricalTables/TotalGovernmentSince1962.asp
The war on drugs should go. Money spent better taking the drug money out of the hands of criminals and lowering violence.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 03:32:59
@Willi Said

like i said before.
i'm voting republican so when i become rich like romney, i woun't have to pay my fair share.

And then you too can hide it overseas accounts & not release tax returns that would show how easily you can avoid paying them!!!!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#14New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 04:09:25
@shinobinoz Said

And then you too can hide it overseas accounts & not release tax returns that would show how easily you can avoid paying them!!!!

dang right.
i'm gonna do my best to be as great of an american as the republican running for president.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#15New Post! Aug 13, 2012 @ 05:59:42
Well, gay couples make more than straight ones, on average, so maybe if you outlaw gayness the straight people can get better jobs?

I'm honestly trying to think of a benefit and coming up blank.

Except maybe in cases of zoning. If you have loose rules that let walmarts pop up all over, people might save some money. Too bad zoning in basically a local issue. The president has nothing to do with it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs