The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Are Liberals So Condescending or Is it Just That Conservatives are Stupid?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jackmcg On August 20, 2010

Deleted

West Chester, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 03:14:55
Forums are something with which I had little experience. I spend appreciable time reading current event publications and I like to get all sides on a topic, mostly current events, some history and politics.

I'm right of center, more a traditionalist than a conservative, and I am interested in other opinions, but expect the holder will substantiate the view to a degree.

Since I joined The Forum Site in July of this year, I've posted mainly in the Politics and News/Current Events sections. Run into a lot of different opinions from really far left through liberal, to the moderates and on over to the right. Haven't seen much in the way of rants from people who would be described as far right.

For the most part, people are polite and many seem generally interested in others' views. Unfortunately, I've run into a couple of posters who unabashedly wear their far left views right out there. What I've discovered is that they seem tremendously intolerant of anyone with a view evidently diverse from their own. I've been called a liar twice, been told I fail as a competent poster, been advised that "it must suck to be" me, that conservatives and old voters are stupid and it just goes on.

Well, I was curious regarding this attitude and found an intriguing op-ed from February of this year in the Washington Post which asks what I ask, "Why are liberals so condescending?".

Mostly, I've noticed that the far left on The Forum Site revel in what they feel are short, neat, cool rebukes, not often providing any detail as to why they believe, feel or hold the views they do. They answer questions with accusations and other questions, demanding proof, studies and surveys. I even had one poster tell me that several bona-fide links offered to show a point were not valid, advising me they didn't say what they said. Its like dealing with an emotionally challenged child. What gives?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/04/AR2010020403698.html
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#2New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 03:25:49
@jackmcg Said

Forums are something with which I had little experience. I spend appreciable time reading current event publications and I like to get all sides on a topic, mostly current events, some history and politics.

I'm right of center, more a traditionalist than a conservative, and I am interested in other opinions, but expect the holder will substantiate the view to a degree.

Since I joined The Forum Site in July of this year, I've posted mainly in the Politics and News/Current Events sections. Run into a lot of different opinions from really far left through liberal, to the moderates and on over to the right. Haven't seen much in the way of rants from people who would be described as far right.

For the most part, people are polite and many seem generally interested in others' views. Unfortunately, I've run into a couple of posters who unabashedly wear their far left views right out there. What I've discovered is that they seem tremendously intolerant of anyone with a view evidently diverse from their own. I've been called a liar twice, been told I fail as a competent poster, been advised that "it must suck to be" me, that conservatives and old voters are stupid and it just goes on.

Well, I was curious regarding this attitude and found an intriguing op-ed from February of this year in the Washington Post which asks what I ask, "Why are liberals so condescending?".

Mostly, I've noticed that the far left on The Forum Site revel in what they feel are short, neat, cool rebukes, not often providing any detail as to why they believe, feel or hold the views they do. They answer questions with accusations and other questions, demanding proof, studies and surveys. I even had one poster tell me that several bona-fide links offered to show a point were not valid, advising me they didn't say what they said. Its like dealing with an emotionally challenged child. What gives?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/04/AR2010020403698_2.html?sid=ST2010032603968

I think it is human nature... I hope I am not one of the people that have attacked you in this way. My apologies if I have. I have been a little tense here with one or two things that have happened...

Deleted

#3New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 03:29:18
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I think it is human nature... I hope I am not one of the people that have attacked you in this way. My apologies if I have. I have been a little tense here with one or two things that have happened...

Not you, Bob_the_fisherman. These guys are fellow citizens. Just 2 of them, potential for a third. We just see things through a different set of glasses. Its a trait of mean-spiritedness, arrogance and belief in their superior intelligence. Leaves them with little patience for all the stupid masses that must clutter up their posts with responses and questions.
fun2bme On February 16, 2011

St Joseph, Michigan
#4New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 03:40:39
@jackmcg Said

Its like dealing with an emotionally challenged child. What gives?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/04/AR2010020403698_2.html?sid=ST2010032603968

I like your posts. You are a logical reasoned thinker, very rare. I spend more time reading on forums than posting because I find the above quote to be true as well. Arguing with them is like chasing my own tail around in circles. For what its worth I think you hold your own very well.
as for the what gives..they are unanchored. The further left you go the more reactionary and shifting the ideology becomes. Without a clear set of principles to rely on, they learn to rely on their emotions to tell them what is right and wrong. Facts are not required only passion. The left is politics of the moment, at least until it gains control, then it quickly become the politics of conformity.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 03:48:57
Meh. I think condescension and stupidity goes both ways, liberal or conservative. In something like politics, people tend to get more impassioned.

Some people are better/worse at it than others. Over the years I've been here, it ebbs and flows over which side complains about the other.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#6New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 03:57:41
@jackmcg Said

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/04/AR2010020403698.html

You racist. lol
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#7New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 04:19:46
I always thought it was the other way around (not my views but how the general public views them).

I'm seriously a moderate.

Deleted

#8New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 13:01:25
@fun2bme Said

I like your posts. You are a logical reasoned thinker, very rare. I spend more time reading on forums than posting because I find the above quote to be true as well. Arguing with them is like chasing my own tail around in circles. For what its worth I think you hold your own very well.
as for the what gives..they are unanchored. The further left you go the more reactionary and shifting the ideology becomes. Without a clear set of principles to rely on, they learn to rely on their emotions to tell them what is right and wrong. Facts are not required only passion. The left is politics of the moment, at least until it gains control, then it quickly become the politics of conformity.

Your take is accurate. You can actually have a field day with far left politicos because of their reactionary responses. Digging into the reasoning and actual fact structure associated with the thinking is like scraping an inch of soil from slate. Emotion is a large part of the structure, you're right. Its why they can't provide rebuttals that make sense. I'd be willing to listen, but the responses don't contain much before they have to denigrate you or your background or your intelligence in some manner. That's why I found the op-ed I posted here so interesting, and from the Washington Post to boot.

What the far left ranters don't take into account is how very quickly they cause a shutdown in moderates, independents and slightly right of center types. I look at what they do and say, even here, and think, Christ, if they actually take over, what then?

Deleted

#9New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 13:03:14
@raditz Said

You racist. lol

One of 'em will think it...........

Deleted

#10New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 15:03:11
My wife and I own a small shop selling vintage painted furniture and vintage inspired items. She's constantly on the look out for interesting items and has no time for politics, etc. Strictly business based.

She buys hand made cedar signs from an old Amish farmer up in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and was up yesterday to see him. She couldn't resist purchasing one from him that said "If Only Closed Minds Came With Closed Mouths". Boy, that could apply in some areas of Political Forum Sites.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#11New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 16:50:52
I wonder how many of our posters have involved themselves in the history of politics? Some, I notice, have. Like world history, there is a cycle which never changes. We are in one now.
Will it be for the better?
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#12New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 17:02:18
Hey, one of my best friends is a liberal!

Deleted

#13New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 17:24:48
@Grasshopper Said

Hey, one of my best friends is a liberal!

My oldest son, too. He hopes all of this moves us toward a European style government and believes it would work for everyone. His news gathering is strictly Huffington Post and the nightly NBC news. Easy to debate because he runs out of supporting points so quickly.

My young years had me well on the left side of center. However, the jobs I held took me into areas and situations that showed me the left's theories and programs are more about mass people control and government expansion than about helping anyone. Its a power game that benefits the left's leaders, politicos, pop icons and moneyed theorists. Its largely an empty suit with nothing to offer but control of many by a few.
fun2bme On February 16, 2011

St Joseph, Michigan
#14New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 18:14:41
@WASH Said

I wonder how many of our posters have involved themselves in the history of politics? Some, I notice, have. Like world history, there is a cycle which never changes. We are in one now.
Will it be for the better?

over the past year I have become very interested in the history of politics. I've learned some remarkable stuff. Inevitably when I post something that goes against 'common knowledge' especially on the left, I am called a liar or an idiot. When I give them sources, those sources are denounced as biased.
Talking with conservative people is far easier and productive. Even if I disagree with them about something, I can make my case and usually get respect for knowing facts, even if those facts don't change opinion.

I find my self reduced to just teasing them they way I would tease a spoiled recalcitrant child. The response is the same either way and teasing is certainly easier.

Deleted

#15New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 19:55:37
@fun2bme Said

over the past year I have become very interested in the history of politics. I've learned some remarkable stuff. Inevitably when I post something that goes against 'common knowledge' especially on the left, I am called a liar or an idiot. When I give them sources, those sources are denounced as biased.
Talking with conservative people is far easier and productive. Even if I disagree with them about something, I can make my case and usually get respect for knowing facts, even if those facts don't change opinion.

I find my self reduced to just teasing them they way I would tease a spoiled recalcitrant child. The response is the same either way and teasing is certainly easier.

I'm convinced. I think the teasing route is probably more satisfying, too.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs