Conditions & Diseases

Anyone had a Gallbladder Removal??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
TWSS On November 10, 2009

Houston, Texas
#1New Post! Oct 02, 2009 @ 02:12:44
I went a while ago to the doc with pain (constant pressure, no other symptoms) in my stomach. After about 5 months, I did a test called a HIDA scan which showed that my gallbladder was emptying at a very slow rate, and recommended I remove my gallbladder. Until I get all the facts, I absolutely refuse, and I really don't have much trust in a lot of these docs.

Also I've been reading a TON of stories about people who, once they have their gallbladder removed, can't even drink 1 beer without throwing up! Is there any truth to this? Can anyone comment on this procedure?
Dawn_Key On January 07, 2010

Deleted
Banned

#2New Post! Oct 02, 2009 @ 02:17:37
@TWSS Said

I went a while ago to the doc with pain (constant pressure, no other symptoms) in my stomach. After about 5 months, I did a test called a HIDA scan which showed that my gallbladder was emptying at a very slow rate, and recommended I remove my gallbladder. Until I get all the facts, I absolutely refuse, and I really don't have much trust in a lot of these docs.

Also I've been reading a TON of stories about people who, once they have their gallbladder removed, can't even drink 1 beer without throwing up! Is there any truth to this? Can anyone comment on this procedure?

that is the way of the covered country
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#3New Post! Oct 02, 2009 @ 05:47:21
I've had mine removed. There's nothing to be afraid of. Mine was "dead", according to my doctor. I feel much better now that it's gone.

I drink lots of water and used to drink a lot of beer. I never get/got sick to the point of throwing up. It makes me wonder what other problems those people had/have.

My mother has had hers removed because she got sick before the surgery.

In truth, we really don't need our gallbladders.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#4New Post! Oct 03, 2009 @ 02:43:25
My dad had his removed, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#5New Post! Oct 03, 2009 @ 02:48:58
My mom had hers removed and I am not sure it was necessary. I suspect this surgery may lead to weight gain. I would hold out if you can.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#6New Post! Oct 03, 2009 @ 02:53:53
They took mine out through my belly button, I went home the next day. No problems in that department since.
nature7778 On March 21, 2010

, Minnesota
#7New Post! Oct 03, 2009 @ 22:08:41
I have problems with my gallbladder too. After doing research online, my best advice is to NOT get your gallbladder removed! It's the absolute worst thing a person can do, and it will lead to worse problems in the future including worse pain and cancer.
It sounds like you could really benefit from a liver-gallbladder supplement. Have you tried any liver-gallbladder supplements? They work great, and can work fast. The liver and gallbladder work closely together. If the liver is out of balance it will lead to gallbladder problems.
Also, watch your diet. You do not need to completely give up unhealthy foods, but watch your intake. Aim for zero trans fats, little to no cholesterol, and no more than 100% of the daily recommended allowance for saturated fats. Consume as many fruits and veggies as you want. It's hard at first to get used to eating healthier, but it really is the only way to stop the pain. You can take all the supplements in the world, but without a healthy diet don't expect to be healthy or pain-free.
This website has good info about the gallbladder along with a free 7 day detox diet plan:
https://www.gallbladder-gallstones.com/

The diet plan will extremely change your diet, but it's only for 1 week. Don't buy the supplement at the above website. It's much cheaper at iherb.com (Product Code: CRO-89103). Plus you can get $5 off your first order with coupon code: LOT994. After my gallbladder pain stopped I switched to using Product Code: NFS-04645 (also at iherb.com). Both products work very well.

I also take other supplements including a multivitamin (softgel capsules with liquid are best). Another supplement I take is for overall health. An informational site about that one can be found at:
tinyurl.com/stemcellpower

Good luck, and I really hope your pain goes away fast.
MirLou On November 18, 2013

Cork, Ireland
#8New Post! Oct 03, 2009 @ 22:12:56
Getting it removed now is getting to be almost as common as getting a tooth out. I know several that have had key hole and no problems after.
49thbrat On November 17, 2009

Deleted

Truro, Canada
#9New Post! Oct 03, 2009 @ 22:24:51
My mother had hers removed and she hasn't had any troubles since.She suffered for a long time with symptoms much the same as what you described and a few more and it's been about 10 years after the surgery and she is just fine.If she wants to drink,she drinks she doesn't get sick,but she never did drink much anyway.

I would say if you want to feel better,go have it done.

Houston, Texas
#10New Post! Oct 05, 2009 @ 00:04:51
Thanks for the advice everyone! That was extremely helpful! I'm going to see a surgical consul tomorrow, hopefully he has some good news...
USA On May 25, 2020

Chicago, Illinois
#11New Post! Oct 05, 2009 @ 03:59:54
Well, join the club All Summer long I have a dull pain on my right side, went to the DR last month and had to take two tests ( Sonogram and HIDA Scan ) and it showed I have gallstones Later on this month I am going to see a surgeon to have surgery. I know they have two ways to remove the gallbladder; the old way which means time in the hospital for a few days or the new way which is a day surgery and back home the same day. Hopefully I get the new way... I HATE hospitals... they wake you up during the night for whatever... the pain... etc... I'm a big baby... View Image

Houston, Texas
#12New Post! Oct 06, 2009 @ 23:22:04
@USA Said

Well, join the club All Summer long I have a dull pain on my right side, went to the DR last month and had to take two tests ( Sonogram and HIDA Scan ) and it showed I have gallstones Later on this month I am going to see a surgeon to have surgery. I know they have two ways to remove the gallbladder; the old way which means time in the hospital for a few days or the new way which is a day surgery and back home the same day. Hopefully I get the new way... I HATE hospitals... they wake you up during the night for whatever... the pain... etc... I'm a big baby...

Yea if you have gallstones, apparently thats a sure sign that you need to get the gallbladder removed (I'm slowly becoming an expert on the gallbladder with all these Dr visits)

The good news is the surgeon said that gallbladder removal is a very simple, common procedure.

Of course, you never know what the long term effects of any type of surgery are... I'm just going to wait and see if my pain gets better for now
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 06, 2009 @ 23:41:05
@nature7778 Said

I have problems with my gallbladder too. After doing research online, my best advice is to NOT get your gallbladder removed! It's the absolute worst thing a person can do, and it will lead to worse problems in the future including worse pain and cancer.
It sounds like you could really benefit from a liver-gallbladder supplement. Have you tried any liver-gallbladder supplements? They work great, and can work fast. The liver and gallbladder work closely together. If the liver is out of balance it will lead to gallbladder problems.
Also, watch your diet. You do not need to completely give up unhealthy foods, but watch your intake. Aim for zero trans fats, little to no cholesterol, and no more than 100% of the daily recommended allowance for saturated fats. Consume as many fruits and veggies as you want. It's hard at first to get used to eating healthier, but it really is the only way to stop the pain. You can take all the supplements in the world, but without a healthy diet don't expect to be healthy or pain-free.
This website has good info about the gallbladder along with a free 7 day detox diet plan:

The diet plan will extremely change your diet, but it's only for 1 week. Don't buy the supplement at the above website. It's much cheaper at iherb.com (Product Code: CRO-89103). Plus you can get $5 off your first order with coupon code: LOT994. After my gallbladder pain stopped I switched to using Product Code: NFS-04645 (also at iherb.com). Both products work very well.

I also take other supplements including a multivitamin (softgel capsules with liquid are best). Another supplement I take is for overall health. An informational site about that one can be found at:

Good luck, and I really hope your pain goes away fast.

Ever had binary colic from having a gallstone lodge in the bile duct? I would imagine not as it is far more painful than labour pains imo at least and I was in labour with back to back labour pains for 41 hours, 40 hours without anything other than gas and air. I know it's the same for other women who have gotten gallstones in their pregnancy.

Once you have gallstones you can't get rid of them unless you have them either removed (usually through a cholecystectomy) If you are a symptomatic patient i.e. you get pain from a gallstone blocking/entering your bile duct and you keep the stones you are at an increased risk of acute or chronic cholecystitis which can ultimately lead to your gallbladder rupturing and you dying.

Of course I'm not saying that this is going to happen to anyone who has gallbladder issues and I am not a trained medical professional (yet ) but I was due to have my gallbladder removed on Thursday and unfortunately the operation was cancelled and I've researched and talked to people who know (friends who are nurses, my doctors etc) so I'm well aware of the risks of leaving my gallbladder in.

The people who have done the research into gallbladder removal and cancer have said that it shouldn't be a factor when you decide whether or not to have it removed and yes it puts you at increased risk of colonic cancer but you can actively do things to lower your risk such as have a high fibre diet and not eat red meats etc.

Also just to point out your gallbladder responds to any fat entering the digestive system as the enzymes required to break down fats and get them to the correct PH etc are in bile and that your liver produces about 90% of the cholesterol in your body.

Gallstones are most commonly found in people who put on a lot of weight quickly, lose a lot of weight quickly, are pregnant/have been pregnant are over 45, are female and those who are taking cholesterol lowering medicines. The majority of gallstones are actually made of cholesterol.

Sorry but I found it incredibly insulting that you think taking a supplement will cure gallbladder problems. In most cases a cholecystectomy is the best option for gallstones, after consulting your doctor but other gallbladder problems can put you at a significant risk of acute/chronic cholecystitis and pancreatitis if the infection and inflammation spreads to the pancreas.
weaksauce On May 28, 2011

DFW, Texas
#14New Post! Oct 06, 2009 @ 23:44:40
@TWSS Said

you cant go on living with a diseased gallbladder. it could one day develop a stone. the stone could clog you cystic duct. then you will be begging them to remove it. how long did you hida scan take to complete?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 06, 2009 @ 23:47:49
@weaksauce Said

you cant go on living with a diseased gallbladder. it could one day develop a stone. the stone could clog you cystic duct. then you will be begging them to remove it. how long did you hida scan take to complete?

Gallstones aren't necessarily from a diseased gallbladder, they're generally cholesterol that builds up from the gallbladder emptying less frequently which is why it's more common in women as estrogen is thought to increase cholesterol in the bile and decrease the frequency of the gallbladder emptying, leaving it to pool in the gallbladder and for stones to form.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs