Mental Health

Anyone ever had therapy?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Wiggy On November 11, 2009

Preston, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 19:33:30
I had therapy a few years ago and the most helpful thing my therapist did was to listen to me and not try to tell me what to do. I think therapists help when they reach out their hands and try to understand us. I did have one therapist and all she did was try to tell me what to do - not good.

Anyone else had any similar experiences?
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#2New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 19:38:10
I went to therapy about 10 years ago. I hated my therapist though, so I quit going.
carlstss On January 25, 2014

Derby, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 19:39:49
i agree with you, not ever had therapy myself i try to help myself before i seek advice from others but listening is great me and my girlfreind help each other all the time just by listening you dont even have to say anything back. hope your ok now.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#4New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 20:14:58
I had almost a year of therapy 6 years ago . My theorist was great , she didn't try telling me what I should do or feel . She would listen to what I was saying and some how always ask the right questions so when by the end of each session I had a better understanding of all the whys and what fores and how comes. She was exactly what I needed to get though a very bad time.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#5New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 20:22:05
@iwannano Said

I had almost a year of therapy 6 years ago . My theorist was great , she didn't try telling me what I should do or feel . She would listen to what I was saying and some how always ask the right questions so when by the end of each session I had a better understanding of all the whys and what fores and how comes. She was exactly what I needed to get though a very bad time.

i would think this is what therapy should be about... just helping someone figure out how to interpret their thinking on their own... show them how to think about the way they are thinking in a way that they can work with and move forward on their own with...

sounds like an excellent therapist you had...
BLONDE On October 27, 2016
My den.

Paddetteville, Ireland
#6New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 20:28:10
I'm a partime therapist when it comes to my friends 8)

hehe

but umm yeah I kinda wish I had a therapist because I'm a very insecure girl!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 20:31:32
@chisa96 Said

i would think this is what therapy should be about... just helping someone figure out how to interpret their thinking on their own... show them how to think about the way they are thinking in a way that they can work with and move forward on their own with...

sounds like an excellent therapist you had...

I was very lucky IMO because she was an excellent therapist , she didn't try pushing meds on me and she didn't pull any punches , when I started getting to wrapped up in the piddly stuff and would lose sight of the real issues she would stop me and then let me settel a moment or two then I'd start back on the important things.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 20:44:29
Nah, never been to therapy, went to counseling for a while but nothing more than that.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#9New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 21:37:19
I saw a psychiatrist monthly for almost 10 years.

I guess it helped, but given that i was only 17 when i began therapy and was 27 when i was done, i may well have just grown the f up in that time and thats the change i noticed..

It depends on what your looking for.

Some ppl want sympathy and a friendly ear and that is enough to make them feel healed.

Others need life advice or a gentle push in the right direction to move them out of a procrastination phase.

Personally, i needed to learn adult coping mechanisms.

My childhood role models were infantile themselves so i had no guidelines from which to draw when things got hard.
As a result i handled things like a 15 yr old would well into my 20s.

So cognitive therapy taught me how to recognise my behaviour patterns and stop the bad ones from consuming me.

I still fail this miserably at times, but without learning the correct methods i would be royally screwed now..

I think the key is knowing exactly what help you need before you go into therapy and chosing a therapist that is an expert in the particular feild.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 21:57:36
I have just started going to counseling but not been to therapy as of yet. I think as some have said it's just good to have someone to listen to you every once in a while, I think for a lot of people therapy and the such are probably good things to use if you're going through a rough patch.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#11New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 22:19:29
I am a therapist and I've gone to therapy. I've fired some crappy ones and have a good person I rarely see, but sometimes go in for a "tuneup". We all need to vent sometimes and dumping on family and friends makes you unpopular very fast.
imonthemenu On April 23, 2016

San Marcos, California
#12New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 00:05:12
When i was in college a part of my tuition went to student services, which in turn meant that I could see a therapist free of charge. She was great in assisting me to elaborate on my problems. I actually studied Psychology. When it comes down to the nitty gritty its amazing that someone can make up to $200 per hour just asking you to tell them your problems!
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#13New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 00:28:27
First thing about seeing a therapist is to find out if you and the therapist have a good rapport. If you don't on one or the other side, fire and look for one that's right for you.

Don't pick out a therapist that will hold your hand and hinder the healing process by forever keeping you the victim. Try to find one that knows that you have a disease but not a victim of the disease rather a survivor with a disease.

You can either be the disease or you can have the disease and that's the difference in how you will proceed in life.

Preston, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 13:17:10
@jmo Said

Nah, never been to therapy, went to counseling for a while but nothing more than that.

Some people would argue that counselling is a form of therapy and that both these things are hard to distinguish.

Preston, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 13:23:52
@readsalot Said

I am a therapist and I've gone to therapy. I've fired some crappy ones and have a good person I rarely see, but sometimes go in for a "tuneup". We all need to vent sometimes and dumping on family and friends makes you unpopular very fast.

I think it really is essential that therapists especially go for their own therapy at least once in while. I too am a therapist and have gone to therapy and like you have not continued with the crappy ones - it really is a sad state of affairs that there are crappy ones. I only wish there was a way knowing which were the crappy ones. I guess state regulation (in the UK) will go some way to do that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs