The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Anyone coping w/ making decisions for ill parent?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jaded21 On May 22, 2008

Goldsboro, North Carolina
#1New Post! May 22, 2008 @ 02:17:30
Hi, out there. I am trying to cope long-distance w/ an ill parent. Anyone else have this situation? Or can recommend a forum that is likely to be helpful?
For me, I think the most frustrating part is the long-distance part, and I am using up what leave I have and money to make out of state trips to check on her. Thanks for listening. Jade
jeanettesianrachel On September 16, 2016

Medway, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 22, 2008 @ 02:39:17
we cared for our mum in law untill she had to go into a nursing home,if shes in her own house,in this country we have carers that go in the amount of time required and have a voluntary organisation that just goes and sit with a person and their sole purpose is to chat,maybe make a cup of tea,your best bet is to phone up adult services where your mum lives and find out what is on offer,you will probably have to visit when adult services etc do to draw up what is known as a care plan,this is to discuss how much outside carer help is needed and for each visit,and to set that up and someone volantary to visit your mum,if she is off a particular faith,give them a call cos they may well be able to visit your mum so she can continue her worshipping,i know of these things not only because of mum rachel but of being a carer in the community,if it can be set up you will have peace of mind knowing your mum is being cared for by professional carers and when ever she is a bit poorly they will keep you informed,i hope this at least given you some ideas. x
jaded21 On May 22, 2008

Goldsboro, North Carolina
#3New Post! May 22, 2008 @ 12:56:53
Thank you, Jeanette. I'm afraid it is not that way here- not much available as far as volunteer services. But, also, there is no possibility of her living at home- she needs 24 hr care. She isn't cooperating very well w/ therapy, either- there was evidently a lot of brain damage done because she really thinks that she got up on her own rather than needing at least 2 people to get her into the wheelchair.
I will keep looking for a forum that deals w/ these issues. Thanks, Jade
barbiemom On August 07, 2008

Covington, Indiana
#4New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 00:36:08
Jaded I feel for you, my Mom was sick off and on before she passed away. But I was close by and she had my Dad to take care of her. I am fortunate, my Dad is in great health, so far.
elmo4me On April 10, 2010

Whine Cellar,
#5New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 01:17:54
What type of information do you need. I took care of my mom thru her terminal illness and my Dad when he had heart surgery and have taken care of his medical needs since his stroke a few years ago. Are you in the military? You can contact the state social services where your Mom lives for information, also try medicare liaison office or AARP for information. There is help out there if you know what you and your mom need.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs