Religion & Philosophy

Any Christians here? all i see is deists claimimg to be christians

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
ShadyFx8 On October 11, 2017

cairns, Australia
#1New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:21:06
Because all I see is deists and atheists, any counter argument ageist evolution, the bag bang or some rambling about the beauty or complexity of life despite not disproving evolution the big bang ect, and despite being a blatant false dichotomy, does not prove a Christian god. All it would proove is a diest god who hasent told us anything so is not worth worshiping. You think theres 1 god theory? Theres 1000?s of gods that people have made up, if you disprove everlotion im much more likely to believe Zeus created the world than the Christian god. Norse mythology is written much better and doesn?t appear to have a dark motive of hate. So maybe you should disprove zues before everlotion

All im asking if you have the strength of your convictions, seeing as the bible is the only source of your beliefs, if you call yourself a Christian you must believe in it or have some other source like talking to god (not that I believe its ever truly happened) if you make statements like ?the bible has been translated and changed so many times, but god is real. The bible is wrong but god is real!!? that puts you in the position of deist where you claim there is a god that expects nothing of us meaning there is no reason to worship or acknowledge him
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#2New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:32:43
What's everlotion?
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#4New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:43:39
It's evolution.
Spelled exactly how it sounds lol.
ShadyFx8 On October 11, 2017

cairns, Australia
#5New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:48:40
@young_nick Said
It's evolution.
Spelled exactly how it sounds lol.

its pronounced evOLUtion, wow, mindblowing
ybom On June 04, 2010

#6New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:51:48
You might want to consider who the burden of proof falls on. I personally believe everyone should have it. Unfortunately because we all communicate differently it can be somewhat hard and time consuming to prove something of that nature.

But getting someone to say they don't believe in evolution anymore is a step in the direction the Christian wants you to go.

If you want the secret weapon to dealing with someone like that, first you have to prove to the person you completely understand what they're saying, and completely deny it in the same breath. Key word being "prove" here.

It's like I understand Jesus, but I respect him in a different way than seeing him as my lord or my savior. I see him more as a way to empowerment as a better person. The typical Christian would read that as you saying you're the Devil. I recently met a Baptist who did that in not so many words.
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#7New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 07:57:15
What god is "worth worshiping" though.
I read earlier tonight, someone saying even if god did create the world, why does he require us to worship him.
Worship would seem fairly petty to a god, surely.

And yeah, you're so right. Whether god is real or not is largely irrelevant if they don't stand for anything (in the case that the bible has been lost in translation.)

Because god is largely defined by the bible isn't it...
bogie On June 27, 2009

#8New Post! Oct 05, 2008 @ 17:35:59
@ybom Said
You might want to consider who the burden of proof falls on. I personally believe everyone should have it. Unfortunately because we all communicate differently it can be somewhat hard and time consuming to prove something of that nature.

But getting someone to say they don't believe in evolution anymore is a step in the direction the Christian wants you to go.

If you want the secret weapon to dealing with someone like that, first you have to prove to the person you completely understand what they're saying, and completely deny it in the same breath. Key word being "prove" here.

It's like I understand Jesus, but I respect him in a different way than seeing him as my lord or my savior. I see him more as a way to empowerment as a better person. The typical Christian would read that as you saying you're the Devil. I recently met a Baptist who did that in not so many words.

as an agnostic i share no burden of proof since i make no claim. the human mind is simply not capable of knowing about such things as gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena. asking me to prove a negative such as prove the human mind is not capable would be rediculous but somebody will try anyway.
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#9New Post! Oct 06, 2008 @ 18:09:41
First of all, there aren't 1000's of Gods, just 1000's of different interpretations of the divine, the reason for this is because God doesn't actually have a name (Exodus 3:14 "I am that I am" ) Just the name that we give it. God doesn't have a form especially given the idea that he is omnipresent. But because of our limited understanding of how a being could even exist as God supposedly does, we personify it and since everyone is different, everyone wants to see God as they want to see it. The bible is not wrong, it is a guide and has great wisdom, yes there are various interpretations and therefore watered down but the true law of God is written on our hearts (that's everyone, not just Christians) I don't believe the bible to be the only religous text worth living by but throughout time it has proven to be one of the most important books which adds to it's credibility. (or humanities stupidity, which I doubt, but its what ever you want to believe)

The thing about being a Christian is, you live by Jesus teachings. You could rant and rave all day about how the bible is wrong, but if you think things like loving thy neighbor as thyself, living for today and not worrying about tomorrow, taking care of the fatherless and the widow etc is wrong, than... I'm sorry you feel that way.
bigstu On October 07, 2008

brisbane, Australia
#10New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 12:10:47
@ShadyFx8 Said
Because all I see is deists and atheists, any counter argument ageist evolution, the bag bang or some rambling about the beauty or complexity of life despite not disproving evolution the big bang ect, and despite being a blatant false dichotomy, does not prove a Christian god. All it would proove is a diest god who hasent told us anything so is not worth worshiping. You think theres 1 god theory? Theres 1000?s of gods that people have made up, if you disprove everlotion im much more likely to believe Zeus created the world than the Christian god. Norse mythology is written much better and doesn?t appear to have a dark motive of hate. So maybe you should disprove zues before everlotion

All im asking if you have the strength of your convictions, seeing as the bible is the only source of your beliefs, if you call yourself a Christian you must believe in it or have some other source like talking to god (not that I believe its ever truly happened) if you make statements like ?the bible has been translated and changed so many times, but god is real. The bible is wrong but god is real!!? that puts you in the position of deist where you claim there is a god that expects nothing of us meaning there is no reason to worship or acknowledge him

There is but one truth?
The truth is mankind is in dire straits!
Racism
3rd world
Terrorism.
What shall save us?
One planet one race, one suffering God.
Homo Sapiens
Intellect
consciousness
pure
Without hate
United in the worship of God.
bigstu On October 07, 2008

brisbane, Australia
#11New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 12:14:30
Tell me I'm wrong?
I am not certain of this site?
Some do mock?

I never mock!
Be good b happy stu
ybom On June 04, 2010

#14New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 14:29:54
@bogie Said

as an agnostic i share no burden of proof since i make no claim.

Somewhat fair enough. I understand why you'd want to avoid the fight. Then why even post? You're only claiming to not make a claim. Not like that's a hypocritical statement or anything. I am an "agnostic theist", meaning I believe that if we keep pursuing to find an all powerful thing, we will find it and prove it exists to at least some human mind.

@bogie Said

the human mind is simply not capable of knowing about such things as gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena.

I don't like this claim. You limit the brain to hard known science. I lean towards the belief that a soul attaches to the brain. Many humans are also leaning towards evidence these days. Statistically with the way many systems in the universe works, we are too lucky. The many systems that could be a fraction this way or that way elsewhere in the universe or if specific particles had collided in a different way, we wouldn't exist. That alone convinces many people that god exists - unfortunately to be set in their ways.

I will be ok with this claim if you're just in this position till proven otherwise.

@bogie Said
asking me to prove a negative such as prove the human mind is not capable would be rediculous but somebody will try anyway.

Ahh, your backup plan. Are you really sure you're agnostic and not just stubborn? What I don't like is how it's considered normal to have religion to be set in stone. It's like you have millions of sects around the world with the "our beliefs are perfect" mindset. I can just see it as a Far Side cartoon.
Lord_DJ On January 13, 2009

Deleted

you really want to know =$,
#15New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 14:32:41
@ShadyFx8 Said

its pronounced evOLUtion, wow, mindblowing

yeah, it is
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others