Forums:
Relationships

Anti Gay Marriage Law to be put on election ballot for November in Texas

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
imdbonly On October 25, 2005

Stephenville, Texas
#1New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 04:54:03
I read in our town newspaper that they are trying to pass a bill that would change the constitution foever to say that marriage is between one man and one woman. This I think is a Texas bill for the Texas Constitution. This would mean that Texas would not even honor out of state gay marriages. I am expecting a lot of comments on this and I want to know how everyone truly feels about this subject. Don't hold anything back.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 04:59:55
First of all, I support gay marriage. I feel that a person's sexuality doesn't make them more or less of a person. Everyone is equal, no matter what their emotions, opinions, or sexual preferences are.

A constitutional ban on gay marriages would just be stupid, in my opinion. Why should the state determine who you can and cannot marry?

Whatever makes you happy. That's how I see it. You should be able to show someone you truly love them no matter what your sexuality. I view it as discrimination. Gays are looked down upon by society in many cases just because they're not "traditional" or "right" or "religiously correct" or whatever the reason. But uhm, that's a whole other discussion.

I'm heterosexual, but why deny someone happiness?
sheskull On December 10, 2008

, Texas
#3New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 05:03:10
My husband and I checked today to MAKE SURE we were Registered to vote.

We've both got gay friends so we feel pretty strongly on the subject.

Marriage is LOVE!

There's no way we would miss this election.
mattie7632 On October 13, 2005

O Fallon, Illinois
#4New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 05:07:45
I have no problems with any person's sexual orientation; however I would have to support our constitution only supporting marriage between a man and woman.

If marriage were nothing more than a "legal contract", that would be one thing, but marriage is supposed to be something sacred, a vow between a man and woman.

Now, if somehow there were a legal way to bind a man and a man, or woman and woman, so they can receive tax benefits, etc, that a married couple has, I would have no problem with that, so long as it was not MARRIAGE, but I definitely think we need not get carried away, and should leave marriage for how it was intended to be.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#5New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 07:39:25
I say the government should GET OUT OF THE MARRIAGE BUSINESS altogether. Let the churches handle marriage in whatever way they want to. Let the government do civil unions for whoever wants to have one. Two guys, two girls, who cares.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#6New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 07:44:19
Oh, and changing a constitution for something like this is absolutely ridiculous. It's hard enough to even define 'man' and 'woman' in some cases, so they shouldn't really be making constitutional laws for somehing when there's no good definition for it.

"Oh easy. Just look at their chromosomes" you might say.

Well, what about someone who has XY chromosome (male) but had a sex change operation? They are only allowed to marry a female? What about people with genetic abnormalities (3 chromosomes)? What do you do with them? Can they not get married? If they can get married, who can they get married to? Only other people with 3 chromosomes?

If you are going to make laws based on categories, you should at least know who is in the category and who isn't!
jess1ca318 On November 24, 2010

Deleted

, Florida
#7New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 16:43:51
who cares, let them get married, jeez!
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#8New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 16:45:31
@el_tino Said
I say the government should GET OUT OF THE MARRIAGE BUSINESS altogether. Let the churches handle marriage in whatever way they want to. Let the government do civil unions for whoever wants to have one. Two guys, two girls, who cares.

I agree. Isn't there a separation between church and state?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs