Religion & Philosophy

Answered Prayers

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
chuckie On February 13, 2010

NoWhereVille,
#1New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 03:45:22
Have you ever prayed & discovered that your prayer has been answered? I don't pray every day; but, I try to on a regular basis. Just to clear it up... I'm not trying to pass off as a arrogant or whatever "Christian". I just believe - lets leave it at that. Anyway, this one time I got lost on a road that I had never been on - I went to a basketball game to support someone & that was the first time I had ever gone by myself. I had good directions going there but the directions going back + being dark outside ....well I got off track. Well the moon was high in the sky & bright, I started getting nervous cuz all that was around me was corn fields. So I felt like Gilligan (gilligan's island tv show) taking a 2 hr tour... prayed to God to get me on the right road home. About 15 mins later I was on a road I definitely recognized & was heading home. Oh, I didn't have or own a cell phone at the time. And I did ask for direction & the only place I could stop didn't know how to get me back to where I needed to go...
sweetgracee On August 15, 2012

, Philippines
#2New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 03:56:09
I've tried that several times, prayers being answered. Asl long as you believed that you can do it, you can fulfill it.
chuckie On February 13, 2010

NoWhereVille,
#3New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 04:07:21
Well, like the example of the 2 hr tour.... yes, eventually I would have made it home. But how long would it have taken me? How far away would I have been? I didn't have a cell phone; there was no houses around; no gas stations (except the one I tried to get help at); no road map in my car.... it just seems that someone was watching out for me & helping me. I mean anything could have happened to me - if I want to think negative about it...like crash; someone follow me in another car - pull me over & whatever...or just whatever. But I made it home safe & sound... and happy to get there.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#4New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 04:08:36
Yeah I did at one time, but found it was just a cruel joke. Sucks for me.
pollysaid On August 07, 2008

, Australia
#5New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 04:17:51
im not exacly the church goin kind, but yes my prayers are answered every day
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#6New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 05:02:03
@chuckie Said
Have you ever prayed & discovered that your prayer has been answered? I don't pray every day; but, I try to on a regular basis. Just to clear it up... I'm not trying to pass off as a arrogant or whatever "Christian". I just believe - lets leave it at that. Anyway, this one time I got lost on a road that I had never been on - I went to a basketball game to support someone & that was the first time I had ever gone by myself. I had good directions going there but the directions going back + being dark outside ....well I got off track. Well the moon was high in the sky & bright, I started getting nervous cuz all that was around me was corn fields. So I felt like Gilligan (gilligan's island tv show) taking a 2 hr tour... prayed to God to get me on the right road home. About 15 mins later I was on a road I definitely recognized & was heading home. Oh, I didn't have or own a cell phone at the time. And I did ask for direction & the only place I could stop didn't know how to get me back to where I needed to go...

Many, many times, and not just for myself, but for the people I care about also..and others
jellybaby On October 22, 2010

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 06:57:26
A poem about prayers ..

By Helen Steiner-Rice

A life without purpose is baren indeed.
There cannot be a harvest unless you plant seeds
There cannot be attainment unless there's a goal,
and a man's but a robot unless there's soul.
If we send no ships out, no ships will come in,
and unless there's contest, nobody can win.
And games can't be won unless they are played;
and prayers can't be answered unless they are prayed!
So what is wrong with your life today ?
You'll find a solution, if you'll kneel down and pray.
Not just for pleasure, enjoyment and health,
not just for honours, prestige and wealth,
but pray for the purpose to make life worth living.
And pray for the joy of unselfish giving.
For great is your gladness and rich your reward,
when you make your life's purpose the choice of the Lord.
vrindamishra On October 16, 2007

Mumbai, India
#8New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 07:35:47
i dont know...
sometimes i think that god dosent exist
and sometimes my prayers dosent work....
becky_pepper On December 29, 2013

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 08:17:27
I sometimes pray when times get hard and I'm alone as I have no one to talk to about my problems and I ask people to help me out. I'm not really religious and I don't go to church but it is a comfort to talk to someone when you're on your own

My recent plea hasn't been answered but I can remember when we'd just moved into a house we were renting off my dad's friend and things starte goin downhill, money became tight and we were going into debt and we were scared we'd have to sell up again. I saw how upset my mom was over it all and I just asked if someone up there coud help us out a little, I was only about 8 or so at the time. We lived in that house for up to 9 years! before swapping with my grandad
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 08:31:56
@chuckie Said

Is that a prayer being answered or stopping and thinking rationally???

I suppose it depends what you believe.
daifu On December 20, 2007

Deleted

somewhere in the south, German
#11New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 08:52:12
I think for who has a belief what so ever it is useful to pray because it gives you what IMHO religion is good for: a psychological help to cope with life.

I have however a question to who started this thread: there is a thing in the religious dialectic I do not understand:

When a child is dying in a horrible accident, the mother didn't pray for him/her? I guess yes. So then the explanation is: the ways of god are inexplicable.

Fine, but this means that praying or not praying what will happen will happen. So, any prayer with a personal issue and content seems to be useless. Think about it, a personal God that is almighty does not need you to tell him what should happen. He would decide always with a total impartial, personal never failing logic and intelligence.

So why should I then think that a prayer with a personal content would have a logic?

Ps: I love this little ads on TFS. "Jesus Christ Loves You: a prayer can change your life www......." so much about the hilarious commercialization of religion.
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 08:55:39
@daifu Said
I think for who has a belief what so ever it is useful to pray because it gives you what IMHO religion is good for: a psychological help to cope with life.

I disagree. Are you saying your better off for dealing with life compared to someone like me because I "dont" have a belief?? and I dont pray???

You think that it helps to cope with life. IMO its a cover up to deal with life.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#13New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 09:10:51
i don't believe in god so i don't pray.
as a kid raised in a very christian school i prayed alot,
never did me any good.

i think it helps put people into a positive frame of mind, like meditation, but i also think you're better off looking inside yourself for an answer,
not out there.
daifu On December 20, 2007

Deleted

somewhere in the south, German
#14New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 09:12:21
@treacle Said
I disagree. Are you saying your better off for dealing with life compared to someone like me because I "dont" have a belief?? and I dont pray???

You think that it helps to cope with life. IMO its a cover up to deal with life.

Treacle, I am agnostic.

I said it is useful for the people that have a belief, and that for THEM it is a way to cope with life. I think everybody has the right to belief what he/she/he-she wants, as long as they do not try to force their beliefs on me. For me personally, since I do not have religious beliefs, it would be a waste of time and also (as I explained below in my post) quite illogic.

I did not take any other position. So: no I am not saying that at all. And I do not have the impression that I did express myself to be misunderstood in this way. Preconceptions?
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 15, 2007 @ 09:13:10
@alexkidd Said
i don't believe in god so i don't pray.
as a kid raised in a very christian school i prayed alot,
never did me any good.

i think it helps put people into a positive frame of mind, like meditation, but i also think you're better off looking inside yourself for an answer,
not out there.

Im not religous at all. Its never done me any harm and ive never thought of myself as being at a disadvantage for not having a belief.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs