Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...6 7 8 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#16New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 17:59:45
America is not a democracy. Never has been. Wasn't conceived as one, was never intended to be one, and never ever claimed to be one.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 18:05:04
Like what Mark_is_god and jonnythan said, America isn't a democracy.

Democracy is a word, these days it can mean pretty much whatever you want.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#18New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 18:06:59
Well we pledge allegiance to a republic...
matzi1110 On October 04, 2014

, Michigan
#19New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 18:22:03
@adrinachrome Said
What bad things have we done?
Slavery? Sure but so did every other country.
Although we had to war with ourselves to resolve that problem,
The war in Vietnam was pretty bad, but we never say otherwise
and we DID save all those French people.
The War in Iraq? Thats bad I guess, but we did depose of a ruthless tyrant.
Frankly you should not judge America by our last 8 years.
George Bush is NOT America.
The reason I like to think we're the best country in the world, or at least the most beneficial to the people of the world, is the fact that we've defended freedom, more then anyone else, we've stopped more tyranny then any other nation on the planet.

slavery ending in the civil war, that wasnt the main reason that that war happen that war was because the union didnt want to lose money and land.

yea the last 8 years have been bad but it doesnt change the fct that we let it happen.
and as for defending freedom, weve defended freedom in places that it has been beneficial to us to do so.

sure we've taken down tyrants and all that but at what cost?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#20New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 18:52:04
@matzi1110 Said
slavery ending in the civil war, that wasnt the main reason that that war happen that war was because the union didnt want to lose money and land.

Slavery was absolutely the main cause of the Civil War.

, Michigan
#21New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 19:00:07
@jonnythan Said
Slavery was absolutely the main cause of the Civil War.

well, then maybe youll want to have a litle talk with high school teachers ad the school board and tell them you think so.

because thats not what they are teaching these days.
it was all an economic thing, south was getting taxed the s*** out, they left, union wanted to keep them, and when they didnt come back willingly they went to war and in the mids of that slavery got brought up.

thats what the school system is teaching now.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#22New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 19:02:54
@matzi1110 Said
well, then maybe youll want to have a litle talk with high school teachers ad the school board and tell them you think so.

because thats not what they are teaching these days.
it was all an economic thing, south was getting taxed the s*** out, they left, union wanted to keep them, and when they didnt come back willingly they went to war and in the mids of that slavery got brought up.

thats what the school system is teaching now.

I've studied the Civil War extensively. Having grown up in the Deep South it was something of a big topic. I have a few true experts in my family who have dedicated their lives to the subject.

I can say with absolute conviction that slavery was the main cause of the Civil War. Everything about the South's economy and way of life absolutely depended on slaves. The thought of slavery being outlawed scared the s*** out of the gentry of the South, and they became increasingly militant over the issue as time went on.

There were of course other factors, some of them significant, but slavery was without question the big one.

I'd be glad to discuss the topic with high school teachers in Michigan. No offense meant to them, but they're high school teachers. In Michigan. They're not experts on the subject. Not that I am, either.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#23New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 19:07:25
@matzi1110 Said
or we could all just take care of our selves and family and community...

i think the federal gov have been getting greedy with the power its been taking lately

Yes indeed, they have. We have to start focusing on lower level elections and get the right people into office. Change things from the ground up rather than constantly focusing on the freakin president.

, Michigan
#24New Post! Jul 23, 2008 @ 19:21:06
@jonnythan Said
I've studied the Civil War extensively. Having grown up in the Deep South it was something of a big topic. I have a few true experts in my family who have dedicated their lives to the subject.

I can say with absolute conviction that slavery was the main cause of the Civil War. Everything about the South's economy and way of life absolutely depended on slaves. The thought of slavery being outlawed scared the s*** out of the gentry of the South, and they became increasingly militant over the issue as time went on.

There were of course other factors, some of them significant, but slavery was without question the big one.

I'd be glad to discuss the topic with high school teachers in Michigan. No offense meant to them, but they're high school teachers. In Michigan. They're not experts on the subject. Not that I am, either.

but then again the teacher ihad didnt really know anything he was teaching and was very biased so that could have been it as well.

and yes they are not experts
but none the less this is what is being taught.

i havent done any extensive studing but id love to talk more on the subject with you, i have to go right now, so pm me and lets continue this discussion.

, Michigan
#26New Post! Jul 24, 2008 @ 04:43:30
@the7thdimension Said
its ridiculous, everyone thinks that bush alone is responsible for the anxiety of the american people. the whole system is the problem. the reason i say america is NOT a democracy is that many American citizens are coerced to believe that America is a nation entirely governed by the people.

To change anything in this country, we have to get devoted, commited, and TRUSTWORTHY people in offices. we also have to design a more rigorous system of checks and balances, between branches of government directly at the discretion of the greater public. We all need to realize that freedom is a responsibility. Each and everyone taking part in that responsibility will ensure our freedom.

what we need is an enema!
we need a change but that change needs to start from the ground up,
get communities working together state, and then worrie about this federal shenanigans, our system is so corupted that if not taken care of from the local up to the president the the corruption will just get worse.

as for CandB with the greater public, sorry to burst your bubble here but the votes for local reps and state reps are the greater public to the higher offices, they dont have time for everyone to speak just the people you chose to represent you.

Fukitall, Arizona
#27New Post! Jul 24, 2008 @ 05:00:16
Neither of you guys are qualified to say what America needs.
Its unrealistic to think a nation as large as America could be seriously run by 'the people' alone, its just too big, it would make the decision making too slow, and America is by far too important and too tempting of a target for it to be slow, or slower then it already is.
We do need to fix the corruption some for sure, but I'd bet neither of you (or me) really know the best way to do that. As for taking care of it from the bottom up, well when I try to fix a problem I usually go for the biggest problem first, but again I am pretty sure I wouldn't know how to fix the problem.
There's always gonna be corruption, in any form of government.

, Michigan
#28New Post! Jul 24, 2008 @ 05:06:29
@adrinachrome Said
Neither of you guys are qualified to say what America needs.
Its unrealistic to think a nation as large as America could be seriously run by 'the people' alone, its just too big, it would make the decision making too slow, and America is by far too important and too tempting of a target for it to be slow, or slower then it already is.
We do need to fix the corruption some for sure, but I'd bet neither of you (or me) really know the best way to do that. As for taking care of it from the bottom up, well when I try to fix a problem I usually go for the biggest problem first, but again I am pretty sure I wouldn't know how to fix the problem.
There's always gonna be corruption, in any form of government.

from the bottom up i mean people need to realize that the big vote that they all do for the president is a joke our founding fathers made to make people think they were doing something important.

the votes that matter are the votes for your local and state and who they vote for for representing them when it comes that time.

yes im not qualified to say it but its better then not saying anything at all.

Fukitall, Arizona
#29New Post! Jul 24, 2008 @ 05:11:40
@matzi1110 Said
from the bottom up i mean people need to realize that the big vote that they all do for the president is a joke our founding fathers made to make people think they were doing something important.

the votes that matter are the votes for your local and state and who they vote for for representing them when it comes that time.

yes im not qualified to say it but its better then not saying anything at all.

I totally agree with you there,
the popular vote is a delusion.
I don't think that
'the people' should make the decisions for the country, as I said a speed thing, no government can afford to be slow, but we should definitely be allowed to have a real say in who leads the country.

, Michigan
#30New Post! Jul 24, 2008 @ 05:20:49
@adrinachrome Said
I totally agree with you there,
the popular vote is a delusion.
I don't think that
'the people' should make the decisions for the country, as I said a speed thing, no government can afford to be slow, but we should definitely be allowed to have a real say in who leads the country.

we do need to have a say
and i think this day in age, well not including the most of my generation sadly, is educated enough that we can allow the popular vote be something real. back in the day they used it because the people that would have been voting were un educated farmers and/or land owners and people that they thought could be from parlament trying to over throw them, they didnt want them to make decisions.

but now i think it would make sense for it to be used because people are thinking more about the issues at hand
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs